Royal Naval Shipyard

SusieCruisie

We were there 6/21/05 and docked at the dockyard. We took a taxi to horseshoe bay and it cost somewhere around $23.00. But we took a bus back because we had a two day pass. One thing about horseshoe is you go down a long hill to the beach. The taxis will sit in the parking lot and wait for people to walk out. The bus stop is a the top of the hill. But we saw a man with a van sitting there charging people $1 for a ride to the top. We took it he was very nice. It was worth it because it was hot. Not much to do at the dockyard. snokel park was neat. and there is a fort,museum and dolphin quest that they charge you for that. There is some shopping there. A Guide on our excursion said there is not much to do on that part of the island.

That is my concern, I'm trying to get all my neighbors to book this cruise, I don't want them to be like "Oh.....This is the beautiful Bermuda you spoke about?" I went to St George and Hamilton, and showed all my pics, so they are expecting to see what I showed them. I have no problem doing the taxi, if it's easier by bus, I'll do that too. I do not remember any big hill to walk down though? Is it just the part of the beach they drop you on? We were on straight land. Thank you. :)

That is my concern, I'm trying to get all my neighbors to book this cruise, I don't want them to be like "Oh.....This is the beautiful Bermuda you spoke about?" I went to St George and Hamilton, and showed all my pics, so they are expecting to see what I showed them. I have no problem doing the taxi, if it's easier by bus, I'll do that too. I do not remember any big hill to walk down though? Is it just the part of the beach they drop you on? We were on straight land. Thank you. :)

The steep hill leads down to Horseshoe Bay Beach. No way to avoid it unless you take a taxi. Taxi's in Bermuda are way to expensive for me. We exclusively travel by bus.

I will travel by bus if it makes that much of a difference. I just don't remember any hill to walk up or down when we visited last time. Are there different entrances on the beach? Just wondering if it's going to be too much for my Mom.

:)

The dockyard is nice. Very clean shopping area, glass blowing factory, pottery factory, etc... Ferry to Hamilton is 20 minutes. Bus & ferry pass unlimited $12 for a 1 day pass.

If you want to wow your friends go to Church's Bay beach. It is one of the closest ones to the dockyard. No facilities there but the clearest water I saw on Bermuda two weeks ago. Then you can get back on the bus and continue down to horseshoe. When we went there were like 1000 people there. Warwick was much more empty. Another unique beach area is Jobson's cove next to Warwick. I don't think you will be disappointed. Have a great trip.

Suzie Horseshoe is down a fairly large hill, no way to get there without an up and down but for $1pp there is mini-van that will take you. Down is easy its the up that gets you....

LOL The Up is my concern!! Thanks for the info :)

If you want to wow your friends go to Church's Bay beach. It is one of the closest ones to the dockyard. No facilities there but the clearest water I saw on Bermuda two weeks ago. Then you can get back on the bus and continue down to horseshoe. When we went there were like 1000 people there. Warwick was much more empty. Another unique beach area is Jobson's cove next to Warwick. I don't think you will be disappointed. Have a great trip.

The problem is, our port time is only like 9 to 4 or something like that.so I really can't beach jump. They all have their heart set on the "Pink Sand Beach" Which is Horseshoe, so if I can only do one, I'd like that to be the one. Also my family says this was their favorite, so I'm concentrating on making everyone happy. Ohhhh The stress we feel when we have access to the good knowledge!!!! lol I should just do like alot of people .....show up and go Where ever! Too bad I'm addicted to these boards and know there is Always a better way!

:)

Susie,

We were on the same sailing two weeks ago and we were fine beach hopping. The first day we took the ferry to Hamilton to shop for few hours. Then took the #7 bus to Warwick. Walked from Warwick to Jobson's cove and stayed there a few hours. Walked and checked out Stonehole's Bay and then got back on the bus to Horseshoe. Went there for about two hours. Then took the bus back to the ship. Horseshoe was SO crowded I don't know if you will enjoy it there. I wasn't kidding when I said at least 1,000 people. I didn't think the sand was any pinker there than the Churches Bay either. The second day we took a taxi to Church's Bay with our snorkel equipment and that was our favorite. Maybe only 15 people there. Pink sand, decent size beach, then a 1 minute walk down revealed warm pools of water and rocks jetting everywhere. Just beautiful. We stayed there about 4 hours.

Good Luck.

Judith

If you like to snorkel... the Dockyards are the place! My suggestion is to spend a half day shopping when you go to Hamilton, and then take a bus to Horsehoe Bay in the afternoon.

When you get to the dockyards, go shopping, see the Museum, then go to the snorkel park. It's some of the best snorkeling I've ever done. We avoided the crowds by going after 3:30pm.

• 10 months later...

Archived