Christmas Sailings - S Class Ships

2SeaAll

Although I've read a number of reviews I do not have a complete sense of how Christmas/Holiday sailings are likely to differ from non-Christmas sailings; our prior holiday sailings have started after Christmas. It seems clear from the reviews that other than nominal decorations, a Christmas carol or two, and a Santa appearance at breakfast for the kids, Celebrity does nothing special - is that correct?

Celebrity seems to remove all alternative dining packages for the Christmas sailing, although the staff always has the right to offer onboard. Can we assume that the main dining room will not have any special menus for Christmas or Christmas Eve and plan as though those were like any other day? Are the alternative dining restaurants generally less crowded throughout the cruise because of the considerable expense for large families, or more crowded because of booking very large tables; specifically on Christmas and Christmas Eve are alternative dining restaurants likely to be very crowded or empty? We've already booked Qsine for one night because we know it really is best designed to handle large groups and have guessed that it would be the venue of choice for large groups that make a single alternative dining booking.

We expect the pool to be VERY crowded on sea days:eek:, but we will deal with that. What other logistics and nuances peculiar to a Christmas cruise do we need to consider? Thanks for any and all insights.

I was not a an S class ship but on the Century and Santa left a present in our stateroom on Chrismas Eve. Nice touch.

Both Christmas Day and New Years day was a sea day. We had a lovely brunch on Christmas Day in the main dining room.

You can book a specialty restaraunt once on board for Christmas and New Years. We could not do it before hand. The web site said it was all booked.

Found out from Captains Club that they reserve some times for bookings once on board.

We sailed on Eclipse last Christmas, will be sailing on her for this Christmas (5 more sleeps :D ) and already booked for next Christmas/NYE cruise. We sail during Christmas to get away from all the hustle and bustle and stress. The ship is very decorated - I can't even imagine the time put into decorating the ship sp beautifully! Christmas carols are playing constantly (we actually got tired of all the carols playing in the halls and buffet). There is a wonderful brunch in the MDR on Christmas Day and I believe a formal night with lobster on Christmas Eve. For us, there is a big Christmas feel, maybe too much, but we still prefer to be on the ship at that time of year.

We have been on three S Class Christmas cruises and each one was different. I think much of what they do is discretionary and depends upon the Captain and the CD. The extras ranged from the minimum you mentioned to some really nice additions. For instance, Holiday Caroling in the atrium with some of the staff and a special holiday themed show where on one sailing even the captain performed! It was nice that the whole ship seemed to be in the holiday spirit. I am hoping some of that spirit is alive on our upcoming Reflection cruise. ;)

As for your other questions, the specialty restaurants were busy as was everything as the ships were very full for the holidays. We ate at Tuscan Grill on Christmas eve each year and it was always booked up. Many cabins full to capacity due to all the family's traveling together, which means lots of kids onboard. I am pretty sure turkey was special for Christmas dinner on Silhouette last year. And yes, the pools were very crowded every sea day.