Enough time to get from ship to airport in Barcelona

doctor4kydz

Planning to cruise on the NCL Western Med. itinerary from Barcelona in July 2014. The ship returns to the port (in Barcelona) at 5:30 AM. Does anyone know if I would have enough time to make a 10:45 AM flight from the airport in Barcelona? How far is the airport from the port? What would be the most expedient way to get to the airport from the port? Would an NCL transfer get me there early enough? Taxi?

Thanks!

Planning to cruise on the NCL Western Med. itinerary from Barcelona in July 2014. The ship returns to the port (in Barcelona) at 5:30 AM. Does anyone know if I would have enough time to make a 10:45 AM flight from the airport in Barcelona? How far is the airport from the port? What would be the most expedient way to get to the airport from the port? Would an NCL transfer get me there early enough? Taxi?

Thanks!

all depends what time u can actually get off the ship

if you do walk off with your own luggage and maybe

but remember you need to be there a good hour before the flight

the taxi ride over from port to airport BCL is only 10 mins but I think you

might be cutting it a little fine

I predict stress in your future

We had a 10:30 flight and walked off with out luggage around 7am. My TA set up a transfer for us to the airport. Don't remember the company now, but driver was waiting for us as we walked off. We had no problem getting to the airport with plenty of time to spare. I did check for later flights and had those flight numbers just in case we missed our flight, but didn't need them.

We didn't go from the port but from our hotel on Las Ramblas. It was only supposed to take 20 minutes but turned into almost an hour with traffic. We were a little stressed. They also recommend arriving almost two hours ahead of your flight for international travel. I would rather be waiting at the airport than in a taxi stuck in traffic!

It all depends on your tolerance for risk and stress. If they allow disembarkation on time and you face no traffic or check-in delays you "may" be OK. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. When I flew from Barcelona after a Med., I had a personal driver meet me at the port and was doing fine until we got to the airport -- the check in lines for my flight were extremely long and I almost missed my flight. I don't recall the exact time of my flight, but it was later than what you are planning.

Thanks!

I think you will have plenty of time. We walked off Epic at 7.30am and were at the airport terminal at 8.10. Just pick up a taxi outside ship, loads there. Journey cost €35. Traffic was heavy at city of Barcelona. Driver was GP wannabe but safe.

Ooh, there are a lot of worriers about today :)

I think that's loads of time: we have gone twice this year from Barcelona port to airport. First time we did NCL transfer and it was a lot more long winded because it was dropping people off at different terminals. Evenso, we left our room at 7.20am and were at the airport for 8.30 (couldn't check in until 10 for our 11.30 short haul flight).

This time we got a taxi and it took half an hour: leaving our room at 8am (including waiting for space in a lift to fit our suitcases) we arrived at the airport at 8.45, were checked in by 9am (no queue luckily), straight through security, and on our plane at 10.15.

I have never seen any queue in security in Spanish airports (other than one time in Majorca, but they stopped everyone to allow a few bus loads of priority people through).

You will be fine but get a taxi, transfers with NCL are overpriced (taxi was 32euro including fees for two suitcases and that was on a Sunday).

We did the same cruise, whatever you do, do not use due NCL transfer, a complete rip off in my opinion! We got a taxi for two for less than half the price the transfer would have cost, no need to pre-book, there are lines of them right outside the ship.

On a Monday morning, we made the airport in 30 minutes, so it's completely doable, just make sure you get a nice early luggage tag the day before if you intend for your luggage to be taken off, if not then wheel em off yourself at whatever time you wish.

Thanks!

I guess this thread is interesting regarding your question..

Depends on what time the ship docks, is cleared, when you get off, if you take your luggage off with you and where you're flying back to.

If all of those things go as they normally do, and you're flying back to the States, you can make your flight, I know many people that do. Would I do it? No, but I don't enjoy getting up early and banking on everything going right. Life is funny sometimes, especially when traveling and I don't like feeling like I "have" to get anywhere in a rush when I'm on vacation. You may feel differently. If there's a 12pm flight. You might want to go with that instead. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Note: There are security lines in BCN, not necessarily very long, but I've certainly been caught in ones that took longer that I wanted it to, including a time that I was pulled over for carrying cash...yeah go figure.

Edited by xenagurl