Barcelona Pre and Post Cruise Hotel

:D

Going on the RCI tour Oct 1 that goes to VFSM, Marseille, Rome, Livorno and Pisa with kick off in Barcelona. Any recommendations on pre and post cruise hotels? I was looking at the Huse Oriente and the Barcelo Sants.

This website has SAVED me countless nights of unrest because of the info, I can't thank all of you enough for putting it all out there!!!

We enjoyed the Apsis Atrium Palace. Its a relatively new hotel (in an old building) just a few short blocks from the Placa Catalunya. You may not need it in Oct, but the air conditioning actually works.

This hotel is the more expensive of the two Hotel Continentals in Barcelona - it's 120-130E/night in standard rooms. The other Hotel Continental is 80E/night. The Palacete is about a 1-block walk from Placa Catalunya. We liked the hotel - great AC, big bathroom, wonderful 24-hour free snack area with drinks (beer, wine, water, Cokes) and hot/cold food, great dining/breakfast room, free internet computer, good location and knowledgable desk clerk. However, the standard rooms have no view - you basically look at a wall 10 feet away and the rooms are tiny. However, EVERY other hotel I checked cost much more per night (150E and up) and for the price, it was just fine. We stayed there 2 nights pre-cruise. And, yes, I would stay there again - I might try for the other hotel, though, since they now have AC also.

You can make reservations online for these two hotels at their site - they ask for a credit card but do not charge it until the end of your stay. We originally requested the cheaper one of the 2 but they were already booked.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm going to research all of them to see which fits our budget/interests best!

How did you like Barcelona? tips on what to avoid or must sees? I am looking to go to Montserrat the day we get back.

Just sharing our experience in Barcelona...we stayed at the AC Diplomatic Hotel in the middle of beautiful Barcelona and loved it. The rooms are smart, modern, a little on the smaller side, but the bathrooms are large with lovely marble, free fridge replenished daily...and quiet. We would definitely stay there in a heartbeat again. I believe we paid $135-140 per night which I got through travelocity and hotels.com. Enjoy Barcelona!

Susan

We are sailing Aug 16 on BOS and have booked hotel pre and post-cruise. We are staying at the Hotel Majestic which was recommended on these boards. We were able to get it for $130 US thru priceline.com (the rack rate on-line is $280). It is suppose to be close to everything and we can't wait to begin and end our cruise in Barcelona.

Earlier this month we stayed at the Hotel Jazz in Barcelona. It was a very modern, exceptionally clean hotel...I loved how it was decorated...such a contrast from all the ancient surroundings of our last 2 weeks. The hotel is about 3 blocks from Las Ramblas. Free internet connections, flat screen TV's in rooms, excellent views of the city from our room. I was fortunate to have gotten reservations there for $100 Euro through Orbitz.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. When we inquired about where to go for dinner, not only did they recommend an excellent restaurant, they called to make reservations for us and then wrote us a map on how to get there.

Hi, here's a resounding vote for the Continental Palacete! Great location, service, rooms were spotless and attractive - 24 hour food/snack/drinks bar well stocked - beautiful salon with balconies to sit and nibble :)

Montserrat is a must - make sure the Escolania boys choir is back - I was disappointed to find they were on vacation, but got to attend a mass, very spiritually fulfilling - even if you're not Christian, the combination of the most beautiful cathedral we visited with the ceremony will make it worth your time. Make sure you get there early as the train ride will take up about 1 1/2 hours each way. We took train from Placa Catalunya over to Placa Espanya where the train to Montserrat departs........ This was definitely one of the main highlights of our cruise! We just returned from the 12 day Venice to Barcelona aboard the Millie.

Whatever you decide, you'll love Barcelona!

Susana

We will be in Barcelona for post-cruise in August. Based on the recommendation of a friend (an ex-travel-agent) who twice visited her daughter who was in Barcelona for several months, the Hotel Majestic is really top drawer. The views from the rooftop pool are supposed to be great. The only drawback for us is that the on-premises five-star restaurant (Drolma) is, like so many others, closed during August.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

looks like this thread was hijacked a bit by trip report requesters! :eek:

anyway, thought you might also read the reviews posted at Trip Advisors Web Site b4 you make a decision as most hotels offer more than 1 opinion. Personally, we booked Apsis Atrium Palace for 9/18 pre-cruise stay. (I think it's ranked about #41 on Trip Advisors.) Anyway, read a review (I think on Cruise Critic) saying their stay at this hotel was like a "madhouse" b'c of Celebrity using it for pre/post cruisers as well. Sure enough, I emailed the hotel and found out that the hotel is totally booked for 18 Sept so I expect it will be a bit of a mad house then as well. Things I considered for our hotel in Barcelona included:

- safety (more than location b'c we're only gonna be there 1 night & don't realistically think we'll do much sightseeing - more jet lag recovering)

- positive reviews from others

- early check in (many hotels are 2 or 3pm; Apsis is 12 noon)

(I calculcated door-to-door (home-to-hotel)we will be traveling about 15 hours so I want the earliest check-in and the quietest room I can get!

(If $$$ were no object, we'd stay at Hotel d' Arts. :D Other hotels we considered b4 making our choice included: Jazz, Continental Palacete, Majestic, and AC Diplomatic.

hope this helps you decide! Good luck.

My DH and I stayed at Banys Orientals in Barcelona this past May. They have a very nice hotel very close to the Picasso Museum in the Born district. This hotel was listed in Conde Naste as one of the best hotel and best deals in Barcelona. We booked six months in advance, and were lucky to get a room. We only paid 95 Euro per night. Our room was very comfortable and close to the Metro (subway). Every morning we went across the street and had breakfast in a cafe. It was one of the best deals on our trip.

We had to book directly with the hotel, but they faxed us a confirmation and we did not have any problems upon check in. I found the hotel info through a google search. Let me know if you need additional infomation.

Good luck.

Maulie.

KathiB, the review is sent.

Seussmd, you will love the Torre Catalunya. How much did you get it for? And, I assume it includes breakfast.

Ron

I got the Torre for 138 a night and yes, includes breakfast! Used Alpharooms.com as you suggested! The Palacete was around 130 and also included the 24 hr buffett so I think both are going to be a good deal. Do you know if there is any way to prearrange transportation from the airport to the hotel?

We had 4 of us (me, husband and 18 and 20-year-old daughters) and were able to easily get taxis from the airport directly to the hotel. We showed the driver the map to the hotel (Continental Palacete) we'd gotten from the internet. The total cost was about 30 Euros with tip. From hotel to port, again, took one of several taxis at a stand out in front of our hotel for about 25 Euros total - he did strap several bags on top of his taxi. For our return (port to airport), we waited in a pretty long line (15 minutes) outside and got a taxi for about 30 Euros.

As for hotels close to the port - the port is out in the middle of an industrial area where I even remember a bridge to get to it. I don't think there's very many close hotels to it - probably some on the beach. It would probably cut your taxi fare down to 10-15 Euros total to get to the ship but it's a pretty ugly area out there.

• 2 weeks later...

We opted to go with an apartment rental. Rates are fairly good and close to everything. The apartment we took has two baths and two bedrooms. If you have three or more people it is a great alternative. Costing each of us only 90e for 2 days. The man that owns it is very nice and professional. Check it out. yourhomeinbarcelona:D

Oh, its right next to Placa Reial and right accross the street from Liceu Metro Station.

Lucy:

We were in BCN in May and will return for TA 11/06. I've reserved the Hotel Continental Palacete - but now am not sure which one I reserved.....which one did you stay at - upper (over looking Rambla de Catalunya and Diputacion) or the one further down on Las Ramblas?

Thanks for your help.

Sharon

We just came back from a 4-night pre-cruise stay in Barcelona (Apsis Atrium Palace -- great location, quiet, comfortable, and no AC problems!) and then August 4 Brilliance of the Seas Med trip.

The BEST private tour we took anywhere was in Barcelona -- and we took good ones in France, Livorno (Lucca and Tuscany) and Naples (Amalfi Coast/Pompeii).

If you are going to Barcelona, I strongly recommend Spanish Trails Adventure (they have a web site). Our family of four took their full-day

Medieval Villages tour which took us in a small van up to the lower Pyrenees where we did some hiking and had a fabulous meal (included)in a local family-owned village restaurant. The vistas were incredible and we enjoyed

the wider perspective of Spain/Catalon life/ life outside Barcelona, too. It was a nice small group and very reasonable in cost. The other person on the trip said it was better than Montserrat, and he liked that, as well.

Soooo, here is the review of the Hotel Arts. Amazing location on the beach and very close to the pier. Rooms (especially the renovated) are not without the standard 5+star luxuries. Our room (renovated) on the 26th floor overlooked the sea and part of Barcelona. It had a flat-screen TV, B&O stereo, marble bathroom with a separate tub and shower and bidet and 2 sinks......gotta love comfort for a family of four. Food and drink was a bit on the high side, but walk out the lobby and head to your left, cross the street, and there are many beachside restaurants with excellant tapas, cuisine and beverages.

The pool at the Hotel Arts is lovely, overlooking the beach. Lots of beautiful people that seem to be here as their final destination. Staff is attentive and courteous. Breakfast buffet is only OK....for the price(we had it included in our Amex Price). The hotel is a short cab ride from Las Ramblas and La Sagrada Familia..I would definitely stay here again ...at a price of 241.00 Euros for a family of four. Happy travels.:)

Just back from Barcelona, post cruise stay at the AC Diplomatic.

I don't think we would stay there again. The hotel was fine but it was little things that let it down. The shower head was broke, the batroom door jammed and wouldn't shut, the pool on the roof terrace was in need of a serious clean. For what we payed, I would have expected better. Last year we stayed at the Majestic and it was much much better.

I was a little disappointed to read that it did not meet your expectations...after reading previous reviews of the AC I booked it for precruise and convinced 2 other couples to do so as well. We will only be there one night and hope to be out seeing Barcelona most of the time so maybe the small inconveniences you experienced will not bother us too much. What did you like best about Barcelona and can you recommend any restaurants you particularly enjoyed. Sissy

Archived