Sunblock

claroquesi

I have seen 60 in the store. As far as I know there is no prescription for it. Make sure the one you get blocks both uvb and uva. Also a common mistake, is even water proof needs to be reapplied every couple of hours. Always read the fine print....

My Mother In Law has VERY pale skin. Does anyone know if there is a prescription strength sunblock? I just want to see if I can get one higher/better than a 48.

I know there is a 60 which is non-presciption but my understanding is that any over 45 is not much different than 45 itself. One suggestion is to to definitely take aloe vera or any other sunburn lotion. I learned the hard way after spending only an hour on our first cruise, I got a pretty bad burn. Best to cover up as much as possible and there are plenty of outdoor areas where she can sit in the shade.

SPF 45 may really be all that you need. Check out this link

Here are some of the points from the link

• A sunscreen rated 15 blocks 93.3% of UV, and an SPF 30 sunscreen blocks 96.7%
  • Reapply frequently & liberally.
  • Get one that works against UVA (causes damage) and UVB (causes sunburn)
  • The SPF rating has to do with UVB not UVA. A 15 may provide better protection against UVA. Applying the 15 more frequently may be a better option for protection from both types of rays
  • Lotions marked "All Day Protection" and "Waterproof" are not.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

My husband is also VERY fair and for our Caribbean cruise last year he used a waterproof sport type 45 and was fine even in the water snorkeling for an hour and a half.

As the others have said, reapply at LEAST every couple of hours, and always after swimming, but also apply 20-30 minutes before even hitting the sun.

Archived