NCL to Egypt?

TrailMoose

I was fortunate enough to be on the last Norwegian ship that went to Eygpt, back in 2012. We had a two-day excursion to Cairo. It was great. When I arrived home I read the e-mails from the State Department's alert service (I forget what it's technically called), telling us not to go to any place where large groups would be gathering, don't go to tourist areas, etc. Good thing we didn't see this before we got there.

We watched our Presidential election results in a hotel in Ciaro. I'll never forget it. If you have a chance when they resume trips go. It seems the new museum they are building in Giza to replace the one in Ciaro will be amazing.

Unfortunately not anymore. I've been looking for a line that will but for now I'll have to fly in. I took the Jade there in Nov 2011 and Now 2012 and had a fantastic (and safe time) on each occasion. I'd not hesitate to go back.

Edited by xenagurl

We watched our Presidential election results in a hotel in Ciaro. I'll never forget it. If you have a chance when they resume trips go. It seems the new museum they are building in Giza to replace the one in Ciaro will be amazing.

Moving the museum to Giza is a great idea! The more they move stuff out of the city of Cairo where protestors tend to congregate then the better off everyone will be. The museum will be less likely to be a target for destruction as it sometimes becomes when riots break out. Plus with it being by the pyramids gives it a better feel. Good for the people of Egypt to move the museum!

Moving the museum to Giza is a great idea! The more they move stuff out of the city of Cairo where protestors tend to congregate then the better off everyone will be. The museum will be less likely to be a target for destruction as it sometimes becomes when riots break out. Plus with it being by the pyramids gives it a better feel. Good for the people of Egypt to move the museum!

That might stop protests with the security around the pyramids and it might not. There's plenty of security around Cairo Museum too, and Giza still forms greater Cairo, which is hard to forget when you turn your back to the pyramids and look at the busy streets around it.

I remember there being a protest right outside of Biblioteca Alexandrina when I was inside touring. A peaceful student protest, but nonetheless.

If nothing else money that additional North American tourist will bring might be a motivating factor, though I wouldn't count on that. Many Europeans still go there and Egyptians don't really expect a lot of visiting Americans. We'll see...hopefully it'll all work out for them, and soon. :)

Edited by xenagurl