Hair/Make Up Question

Honeybun25

Do or have any brides plan on/have done there own makeup/hair? I am questioning whether I want to do my own hair/makeup since I am pretty go with the flow, but I don't want to feel super stressed and want the pictures to come out good. I also NEVER wear makeup so I really don't know what I am doing except maybe eyeliner. (it's sad) lol But if any of y'all have done your own makeup/hair did you feel stressed the morning of? I just want to get an idea. Thanks:)

I'm doing my own hair and makeup, mainly because I'm cheap like that ;) and I feel confident enough in my abilities. I have been practicing what I want to do with hair and makeup for awhile now. I think it is definitely in the realm of possibilities for you to do your own makeup. Just measure for yourself if it would be easier or not to have someone else do it for you. It may make for a smoother, less stressful situation if someone else were to do it for you (especially if you say you don't normally do such things). But you may be a control freak like me and not trust anyone with your vision. If you think you want to go it on your own, I would suggest looking up a lot of "looks" online and then try to recreate them. You can find all sorts of interesting beauty tutorials on youtube, and reddit along with which products to buy etc. You can also go to Sephora/Ulta/any makeup counter or salon and get a makeover. They can give you a customized look for weddings/photography and point you in the right direction. Take note of what you see/learn from that and apply on your wedding day.

I seriously debated doing my own hair & makeup. I am also the type that wears minimal makeup. I only wear powder on a regular basis and if I'm "dressing up" that means I may put on eyeliner. Any time I've ever had professional makeup done, I always felt they over did it. So I've been nervous about getting it professionally done. I want to look good & flawless for my wedding & photos, but I still want to look like me. And I plan to go simple with my hair for wedding. I want to do half up / half down with some soft curls. So, what I'm doing is definitely within the possibility of doing it myself. But, then I started looking at the timeline for my embarkation wedding. I figure that hair/makeup needs to be done by about 8 or 9 at the latest. Wedding is at noon. Photos will be about 3 or 4 pm. Then dinner that night, which we plan to kind of continue our celebration with our families, is at 8pm. That's a long time to have my hair & makeup hold up and look perfect. Especially since my wedding is in New Orleans in June (dealing with heat & humidity). So, I decided to book the pros since they have tricks to make it last all day. I've heard that airbrush makeup can stay looking good for up to 2 days. And they only time I've ever gotten any curls to stay in my straight hair for more than a couple hours is when I've had it professionally done. But, it really comes down to what you want done and your feelings on it. If you do it yourself, you may be able to find time to touch up your hair & makeup during day or before your photos. It also leaves one less thing for me to worry about on my wedding day.

I know you are also a NOLA bride. I booked with Flawless Bride (www.Flawless-Bride.com) for my hair & makeup. They have really great reviews and most of their online pictures look very naturally done, so I'm pretty confident that they won't overdo the makeup. I have a trial run set up a couple days before wedding though just to make sure. And they are decent price. I'm getting my hair & makeup, hair for 2 bridesmaid's, and hair for 2 flower girls, done at my hotel early on a Sunday morning (all completed by 8:30am), for total cost of $300. So if you opt to get it professionally done, you may want to look into them.

I'm doing my own hair and makeup, mainly because I'm cheap like that ;) and I feel confident enough in my abilities. I have been practicing what I want to do with hair and makeup for awhile now. I think it is definitely in the realm of possibilities for you to do your own makeup. Just measure for yourself if it would be easier or not to have someone else do it for you. It may make for a smoother, less stressful situation if someone else were to do it for you (especially if you say you don't normally do such things). But you may be a control freak like me and not trust anyone with your vision. If you think you want to go it on your own, I would suggest looking up a lot of "looks" online and then try to recreate them. You can find all sorts of interesting beauty tutorials on youtube, and reddit along with which products to buy etc. You can also go to Sephora/Ulta/any makeup counter or salon and get a makeover. They can give you a customized look for weddings/photography and point you in the right direction. Take note of what you see/learn from that and apply on your wedding day.

hahah Lol I am questioning the cost of of having everything. I know it will be a once in a lifetime thing! I have been looking at different pictures online and have tried to attempt some on myself. They came out pretty good. Thanks for the advice on the makeup as well!

I seriously debated doing my own hair & makeup. I am also the type that wears minimal makeup. I only wear powder on a regular basis and if I'm "dressing up" that means I may put on eyeliner. Any time I've ever had professional makeup done, I always felt they over did it. So I've been nervous about getting it professionally done. I want to look good & flawless for my wedding & photos, but I still want to look like me. And I plan to go simple with my hair for wedding. I want to do half up / half down with some soft curls. So, what I'm doing is definitely within the possibility of doing it myself. But, then I started looking at the timeline for my embarkation wedding. I figure that hair/makeup needs to be done by about 8 or 9 at the latest. Wedding is at noon. Photos will be about 3 or 4 pm. Then dinner that night, which we plan to kind of continue our celebration with our families, is at 8pm. That's a long time to have my hair & makeup hold up and look perfect. Especially since my wedding is in New Orleans in June (dealing with heat & humidity). So, I decided to book the pros since they have tricks to make it last all day. I've heard that airbrush makeup can stay looking good for up to 2 days. And they only time I've ever gotten any curls to stay in my straight hair for more than a couple hours is when I've had it professionally done. But, it really comes down to what you want done and your feelings on it. If you do it yourself, you may be able to find time to touch up your hair & makeup during day or before your photos. It also leaves one less thing for me to worry about on my wedding day.

I know you are also a NOLA bride. I booked with Flawless Bride (www.Flawless-Bride.com) for my hair & makeup. They have really great reviews and most of their online pictures look very naturally done, so I'm pretty confident that they won't overdo the makeup. I have a trial run set up a couple days before wedding though just to make sure. And they are decent price. I'm getting my hair & makeup, hair for 2 bridesmaid's, and hair for 2 flower girls, done at my hotel early on a Sunday morning (all completed by 8:30am), for total cost of $300. So if you opt to get it professionally done, you may want to look into them.

Hey I have looked at Flawless Bride! How did you get that low of a price!? Did they discount you the more people you have getting hair/makeup done? Also living around New Orleans I know that if you do wear makeup it melts off within 15 minutes of being outside. That being said I was interested in the airbrush makeup. Did you set up your consultation appt yet?

Hey I have looked at Flawless Bride! How did you get that low of a price!? Did they discount you the more people you have getting hair/makeup done? Also living around New Orleans I know that if you do wear makeup it melts off within 15 minutes of being outside. That being said I was interested in the airbrush makeup. Did you set up your consultation appt yet?

That's their normal pricing... prices are listed on their website. It's $50 for hair, $50-60 for makeup (depending on traditional vs. airbrush), $25 for flowergirl hair (anyone under age 8), then they charge $50 travelling fee (if in NO Metro area). From what I've seen that is awesome pricing for any hair/makeup, let alone for wedding. It also would be same pricing to do trials before hand, so that will be an additional $110 for hair/makeup. I've talked to them a few times, but I live in AZ, so unfortunately I won't be able to do any trials or anything until the week of the wedding. But, based on reviews I've seen on various forums (there are a lot on The Knot New Orleans local forum) and photos, I'm trusting that they will do a good job. I have appt. set for hair/makeup trial at their studio the Friday before my wedding, which makes it the perfect night to go out and celebrate. But, that will at least let us figure out exactly what we want and get it right before the wedding morning time crunch... plus it should give me some confidence that I'll be happy with the result.

I had planned to have my hair and makeup done and booked a stylist, but she had to cancel (due to medical reasons) less than 2 weeks before my wedding. At first I kind of panicked because I was NOT good at those things!! But then I worked out a simple hairstyle that would work well under my veil and also realized my veil would hide the non-perfectness of my hair so I didn't worry about that so much. I worried more about makeup and looking good in pictures.

I went to Ulta (Sephora or department store makeup counter would probably be similar) and explained my problem to a very nice sales lady. I told her I wanted something that was natural looking, easy to apply, and would last and look good in photos. She did my makeup in the store, tried a few different things so I could see what I liked best, and then my Mom and I decided which products we should buy from there (we decided to get brushes, primer, foundation, powder, eye shadow, and blush) and what I either already had or we could get easily/cheaply somewhere else that would be just as good (lip stain and gloss, eye liner, mascara -- and blush and eye shadow probably could have gone in this category but we liked the colors she used in the store and didn't want to have to figure out colors in another brand).

It was cheaper to buy a nice set of makeup and get a lesson in applying it myself than it would have been to pay for the professional hair/makeup, and the products I got were natural looking enough that I continued to use them afterward at home. All of them lasted me at least a year and some I'm still using a year and a half later!

I had planned to have my hair and makeup done and booked a stylist, but she had to cancel (due to medical reasons) less than 2 weeks before my wedding. At first I kind of panicked because I was NOT good at those things!! But then I worked out a simple hairstyle that would work well under my veil and also realized my veil would hide the non-perfectness of my hair so I didn't worry about that so much. I worried more about makeup and looking good in pictures.

I went to Ulta (Sephora or department store makeup counter would probably be similar) and explained my problem to a very nice sales lady. I told her I wanted something that was natural looking, easy to apply, and would last and look good in photos. She did my makeup in the store, tried a few different things so I could see what I liked best, and then my Mom and I decided which products we should buy from there (we decided to get brushes, primer, foundation, powder, eye shadow, and blush) and what I either already had or we could get easily/cheaply somewhere else that would be just as good (lip stain and gloss, eye liner, mascara -- and blush and eye shadow probably could have gone in this category but we liked the colors she used in the store and didn't want to have to figure out colors in another brand).

It was cheaper to buy a nice set of makeup and get a lesson in applying it myself than it would have been to pay for the professional hair/makeup, and the products I got were natural looking enough that I continued to use them afterward at home. All of them lasted me at least a year and some I'm still using a year and a half later!

Thanks! That is a good idea. I don't want a whole bunch of makeup because I NEVER wear it. I think I might do that since I will have it for later use an it would give me a lesson! Great idea

Thanks! That is a good idea. I don't want a whole bunch of makeup because I NEVER wear it. I think I might do that since I will have it for later use an it would give me a lesson! Great idea

I ended up with Smashbox BB cream and powder -- the brand is made to photograph well and the BB cream didn't feel as heavy on my face as a traditional foundation. I do recommend getting primer since you'll want it to go on nicely and last well. The color parts of the makeup (eyes if you use eye primer to help it stay on, lips, cheeks) would probably be safer to go cheap on than the foundation. I know that Sephora is great about giving out samples and if you're only going to use it for your wedding then get samples of eye and face primer from them so you won't have to spend a lot on products you'll never wear again! Both the professional makeup lady and the consultant at Ulta told me that no matter what lip stuff I picked I should just apply it or touch it up right before the wedding started because none of it would really last all day. I did a lip stain plus some gloss which was about $5 total at Sally beauty supply.

I also made sure to do it several days before the wedding so I'd have time to practice a few times at home first :)

Edited by gymbomb

I dont know, I'm a natural look type as well, but I got married last saturday on the Oasis and I had my hair and makeup done before boarding and I have to say I've never looked so good skin/makeup wise. I fear it ruined me for my husband as he loved it LOL. Seeing the photos i'm very glad i did it.