Airport & W/C batteries

54wheels

I'm about to leave for an Alaskan cruise. I will be dealing with 3 different airlines. My specifications on my power W/C clearly read : "these batteries are Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approved, allowing safe transportation on aircraft, buses, and trains, as there is no danger of spillage or leakage."

All this and yet, some carriers require that we disconnect everything and place the batteries in a "battery box". I don't know what a battery box looks like or where to get one.

Has anyone ever faced this problem before turning your W/C over to the airlines? I understand safety, but the batteries ARE safe for air travel.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 54 wheels

We travel with my husband's power chair all the time. I assume you have gel batteries. When asked if they are wet cell batteries say no, they are gel, non-spillable batteries. Many carriers will open the battery box to double check the battery label themselvesthemselves.

If you need a battery box, the airline should supply it. Most airlines used to put my husband's batteries in boxes, but now they rarely do. I actually prefered when they did so because there was less possibility of damage to the battery then now when they usually leave them on the chair, disconnected.

Yes, the key words are "gel cell".

Under the ACAA, gel cell batteries do not have to be removed. In most cases they do disconnect them thought, even if they are gel cells -- just for safety reasons -- but they are not removed and packaged seperately. And yes if you don't have gel cells, the airlines provide all the packing material (and they are the ones that pack them).

Best bet is to get a sticker for you battery that says it's a gel cel, non-spillable. Make sure it's in a prominent place. Check at a med supply place, or where you bought your chair/batteries.

Candy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived