First Timer

paulinewales

Thinking of booking with MSC for the first time. Any hints etc. would be appreciated

Greetings from South Wales

TRy reading my reviews with loads of photos

i've included a couple of quotes from people who have read them on varioius forums

Sinfonia

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=6902

Thanks for the comprehensive review as never been on MSC and found it very interesting.

Thanks for the review and photos Pete. I've never been tempted to sail with MSC, but your review was both interesting and informative.

Opera

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=6463

Thanks very much for a really comprehensive review; we are warming to MSC, might give them a try sometime soon.

Divina Yacht Club

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=4472

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hi, thinking of the Lirica from Dubai. We have sailed Pand O, NCL,Princess and Thomson. How does MSC compare.

1) Dining is different, there is little "my time" dining, there tend to be 2 sittings (one of which is quite early and one which is much later)

Menus usually feature 6 - 7 courses ( RCI has 3)

2) entertainment is almost exclusively visual and song/ dance routines. Cirque de soleil style comes to mind. Often an italian night with operatic tenors. No live music in the theatre, but plenty of live music , of all styles, in the many bars and lounges and atriums of the larger ships

3) excursions, in europe often are conducted in two languages eg English/German, English/french, English/Spanish

4) Announcements in 5 or 6 languages, (luckily few and far between (unlike the constant drivel on RCI)). Introductions in the shows take forever to get through 5 languagess (On my last RCI cruise they used 3 languages for show introductions)

5) All inclusive is much better value on MSC than RCI (at the moment)

6) The yacht club is brilliant (RCI dont have an equivalent, NCL have the Haven) Lirica doesn't have a YC

I'm sure others will add to my list

Pete

Edited by Skier52

That's a good summary from Pete.

I'd add to the list by saying

1. Elegant, classy beautifully maintained and spotlessly clean ships (even the older ships like the Lirica)

2. Service style will be different to those other ships. It's continental European rather than American or British. No hard sell of drinks (or anything for that matter). Staff will not disturb you at the pool asking if you want something, you just need to catch their attention and they'll come over to take your order - I like this as I can relax in peace.

3. Very few announcements

4. Different passenger mix with English speakers being in the minority

5. No kettles in cabins!

No kettles nor coffee maker.

But can ask the cabin attendant to bring a thermo flask of hot water.

And get tea or coffee delivered in the morning as part of the free breakfast in your cabin service. I always do this as my wake up call and then head to the MDR later for an omelette

Thanks for that. What is the position re:gratuities.

THe gratuities are added daily to your account and depend on where you are cruising and the length of your cruise

but generally for europe 1-9 days is 7 euros per person per day (pppd); and 10+ days 6 euros pppd.

Caribbean and N America $12 pppd

Additional gratuities for extra special service are at your discression and not expected but warmly appreciated if you do give them

the full table is below

0d0df105-0836-4581-9235-36dceda3c7a9.jpg