Celebrity Eclipse - Fort Lauderdale to Southampton T/A April 19 - Pier Piper Sailing

Petert102

We are Peter and Paul from NYC. We just got off the Celebrity Infinity Harwich to Miami Pied Piper crossing. It was a amazing trip with a great group of Piped Piper Guests. Bruce, our Host, was incredibly attentive and organized several stellar events. We enjoyed our trip so much that we booked this trip. Any one else booked ?

Hugz

Peter

Hi Peter -- we did that TA on the Eclipse with Pied Piper in April 2012 and it was wonderful (which is why we were on the Infinity this fall) -- except for losing all those hours. :) (Just WBs for us now!) I hope you are lucky enough to have Bruce again as the host. The Eclipse is a stunning ship.

Happy holidays to you and Paul.

PS: don't be surprised when this thread gets moved to the Roll Call part of this forum. :)

Hi Peter -- we did that TA on the Eclipse with Pied Piper in April 2012 and it was wonderful (which is why we were on the Infinity this fall) -- except for losing all those hours. :) (Just WBs for us now!) I hope you are lucky enough to have Bruce again as the host. The Eclipse is a stunning ship.

Happy holidays to you and Paul.

PS: don't be surprised when this thread gets moved to the Roll Call part of this forum. :)

Thanks for the info. It was great meeting you Girls...you were the best. Yes I do not know what I was thinking when I did not post it to Roll Calls. Bruce did say that he would be Host on the Eclipse.

Hugz

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Richard and Kevin here, from Pompano Beach, Florida, just 12 miles from Port Everglades. This will be our 2nd TA, having sailed from Rome to Fort Lauderdale in December 2012. We are staying in London for eight nights after the cruise, then fling home.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Richard:)

Richard and Kevin here, from Pompano Beach, Florida, just 12 miles from Port Everglades. This will be our 2nd TA, having sailed from Rome to Fort Lauderdale in December 2012. We are staying in London for eight nights after the cruise, then fling home.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Richard:)

Hi Richard and Kevin, welcome to the trip. Paul and I will be comming down on the Friday afternoon and staying at some dump at the end of the runway ( a headrest really ) before going to the ship next day. We are going to Brighton ( Very Gay ) after we arrive in Southampton to visit Family. There was a couple on our Pied Piper October T/A crossing to Miami who are also booked to travel on the same trip as ourselves. Bruce from Pied Piper thought that he could well be acting as Mother Hen for our Group, I do hope so as he was a terrific Host on our last trip

Mega Hugz

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Roy & Adrian here,

We were on the Eclipse's sister ship (Equinox) in the summer with Pied Piper & Bruce and enjoyed it so much we booked this TA on board. The dates over Easter sat perfectly for A's holidays - and the price was so much cheaper than the cruise around the Med (it's nice to find a repositioning cruise which suits our holidays)

After the past few hectic weeks of Xmas and getting back to work, we can't wait to get on board and spend 13 nights relaxing across the Atlantic.

See you soon

R

Hi, Roy & Adrian here,

We were on the Eclipse's sister ship (Equinox) in the summer with Pied Piper & Bruce and enjoyed it so much we booked this TA on board. The dates over Easter sat perfectly for A's holidays - and the price was so much cheaper than the cruise around the Med (it's nice to find a repositioning cruise which suits our holidays)

After the past few hectic weeks of Xmas and getting back to work, we can't wait to get on board and spend 13 nights relaxing across the Atlantic.

See you soon

R

Welcome Roy and Adrian.

We love the whole Pied Piper experience, Paul and I did the T/A in October on the Infinity from Harwich to Miami and had Bruce as our host, he was amazing. Yes the T/As are a real bargain, mainly as the shipping lines are really looking to have their fuel bills covered for the market shift from winter to summer. We had a couple of Guys on our crossing who will be on this one. I take it one of you must be an Educator. Paul and I will only be spending one night in Lauderdale, mainly as it is the Easter weekind and the hotels have prices that are in the ionosphere. We have some dump for one night at the end of the runway at the airport !!!!

We have a good itinerary, except for the loathesome Nassau, which we will spend the day on board getting settled in rather than face the rude, pushy, unpleasant locals. Nassau is the armpit of the region. If you have never been to Bermuda and the Azores, both are exceptional ports of call

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Hi Peter,

Yes, A is in education - lots of time off, but at the same time as the kids (a problem for me, but A insists the kids are all right - it's the parents which are a pain).

Because of the flight across the Atlantic, we also have to arrive a day early, but are staying the night in Miami. We'll be a bit jet lagged so won't venture away from the hotel (and because we believe everything we see on TV, we wouldn't want to - not with all the gangs, mobsters, vice, pimps, aliens, earthquakes, dna viruses, wormholes and zombies. Basically, anything which will interrupt our afternoon tea).

As for Nassau, we went there on PP's post Thanksgiving Caribbean cruise in 2012. I got off the ship and found it easy to walk around the town because its one way system had ground to a halt during the morning rush hour. With only 3 ports of call on the 13 night cruise, we will probably want to do something on shore. A likes to relax on the ship, but with so many sea days, I'll want to stretch my legs as much as possible.

We've just paid the deposit, so there's no turning back.

See you on board.

R

Hi Peter,

Yes, A is in education - lots of time off, but at the same time as the kids (a problem for me, but A insists the kids are all right - it's the parents which are a pain).

Because of the flight across the Atlantic, we also have to arrive a day early, but are staying the night in Miami. We'll be a bit jet lagged so won't venture away from the hotel (and because we believe everything we see on TV, we wouldn't want to - not with all the gangs, mobsters, vice, pimps, aliens, earthquakes, dna viruses, wormholes and zombies. Basically, anything which will interrupt our afternoon tea).

As for Nassau, we went there on PP's post Thanksgiving Caribbean cruise in 2012. I got off the ship and found it easy to walk around the town because its one way system had ground to a halt during the morning rush hour. With only 3 ports of call on the 13 night cruise, we will probably want to do something on shore. A likes to relax on the ship, but with so many sea days, I'll want to stretch my legs as much as possible.

We've just paid the deposit, so there's no turning back.

See you on board.

R

Try to avoid Miami Airport it is a disaster for non-US citizens as the UK flights arrive at the same time as those from Colombia, Bolivia etc.....everyone is treated as a Drug Mule and you will be there for hours and hours. Jet Blue and Aer Lingus are partnered, EI flights clear US customs and immigration in DUBLIN so it is a domestic arrival into the Jet Blue Terminal at JFK where the connection into Fort Lauderdale is a breeze on Jet Blue. Best of all, this avoids the loathesome Heathrow as you can fly into Dublin from your local airport.

Also the cab from MIA airport / Hotel to Fort Lauderdale Port Everglades costs a fortune.

South Beach in Miami ( Deco district ) is fun and interesting, if you must stay there. Be prepared for hotel sticker shoock as it is easter weekend.

I am leaving for England tomorrow evening for a week to visit 87 year old Mama in Brighton. Will be taking ICELAND AIR into Gatwick ( will do ANYTHING to avoid Heathrow ). It should be balmy and warm after New York which is a glacial -9C at the moment, will not know what to do with all the warmth !!!! I am so looking forward to the grey ocean and skies in Brighton, have instructed my sister that I do not wish to die of hypothermia and to please put the heating on for 24 hours a day and to set the thermostat for 73 F

Mega Hugz

Peter

PS California has Earthquakes, Florida has Hurricanes, but the season will not start until July !!!! Afternoon Tea could be a bit of a stretch for you Guys in the USA. Remember to bring your own tea for the ship, the stuff they put out is deplorable and they have a terrible Earl Grey and zero Lapsang Souchong. We also bring instant coffee as the filth served is terrible and insulated drink mugs to put our homemade coffee or tea in. As to the local Folks Miami is stuffed with tons of stunning looking Cubans, Fort Lauderdale is a retirement home for Gays, most folks go to the Wilton Manor section for activities, but you Guys will be far too tired to partake and we are at the end of the runway at Fort Lauderdale Airport far to far away from Wilton Manor

Edited by Petert102

Hi Peter,

I hope you had a great time in soggy Britain. Not much in the way of sun, but all the water you could wish for. It'll soon be summer, when we have our annual hose pipe bans - we really don't know how to cope with adverse weather, that's why we talk about it so much.

Unfortunately, our flights to Miami are already booked. We've been there before, and at the risk of being put on the NSA's watch list, it was awful. Not only did we have to queue to get through immigration (which is to be expected) but the baggage collection area was packed because people also had to queue to get out of the airport. Fortunately, we weren't in hurry to get anywhere. We can only hope it was because it was post thanksgiving and people were returning from visiting family and friends. Fingers crossed, April will be a quieter time for the airport.

We have been to the States via Dublin and it was much easier, but getting to Fort Lauderdale would involve changing at Washington or New York. We like our flights (almost) direct, so coming via Heathrow will be our only challenge. As for taxi fare, if you've travelled in any British cab, you'll realise what a bargain US taxis are.

As you may tell, I'm counting the days to the cruise. Returning to Bermuda is going to be the highlight, but I'm also looking forward to a first time visit to the Azores - especially after a few days at sea. It's a shame we can't have an overnight stay there. But this is a repositioning cruise, so there's no incentive for Celebrity to make the trip any more interesting than it has to be.

We're on our post Xmas diets (2 days a week @ 600 calories) so with any luck, we should fit into last year's swim wear. The only problem is that on the other 5 days, especially the weekends, A makes lovely comfort food to keep the cold and damp weather at bay. We've even started making our own pizza, which have a tad more topping that shop bought or takeaway. It certainly makes up for 2 days of celery sticks.

See you soon

R

Hi guys and gals,

I posted on the main Roll Call Board and thought I was on the G&L Board. So now we're on both, which is fine. I am Jamie from Palm Springs, CA, single, traveling with a great friend Mike, from Tucson, AZ, also single. Looking forward to getting away and meeting you all. Never been to Bermuda or the Azores, so excited about seeing them. Hope you all have a safe journey to meet the ship. We are staying 2 nights in Ft. Lauderdale. Only a few months away now! Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi guys and gals,

I posted on the main Roll Call Board and thought I was on the G&L Board. So now we're on both, which is fine. I am Jamie from Palm Springs, CA, single, traveling with a great friend Mike, from Tucson, AZ, also single. Looking forward to getting away and meeting you all. Never been to Bermuda or the Azores, so excited about seeing them. Hope you all have a safe journey to meet the ship. We are staying 2 nights in Ft. Lauderdale. Only a few months away now! Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Otters !!!!

Welcome to the Board, are you travelling with the PP Group ? if so will see you at the various events. You will love Bermuda, so clean and pretty, as for the Azores think a subtropical Iceland, no Lava fields, but plenty of bubbling springs, geysers and hot steam pools.

Mega Hugz

Peter

Hi Peter,

I hope you had a great time in soggy Britain. Not much in the way of sun, but all the water you could wish for. It'll soon be summer, when we have our annual hose pipe bans - we really don't know how to cope with adverse weather, that's why we talk about it so much.

Unfortunately, our flights to Miami are already booked. We've been there before, and at the risk of being put on the NSA's watch list, it was awful. Not only did we have to queue to get through immigration (which is to be expected) but the baggage collection area was packed because people also had to queue to get out of the airport. Fortunately, we weren't in hurry to get anywhere. We can only hope it was because it was post thanksgiving and people were returning from visiting family and friends. Fingers crossed, April will be a quieter time for the airport.

We have been to the States via Dublin and it was much easier, but getting to Fort Lauderdale would involve changing at Washington or New York. We like our flights (almost) direct, so coming via Heathrow will be our only challenge. As for taxi fare, if you've travelled in any British cab, you'll realise what a bargain US taxis are.

As you may tell, I'm counting the days to the cruise. Returning to Bermuda is going to be the highlight, but I'm also looking forward to a first time visit to the Azores - especially after a few days at sea. It's a shame we can't have an overnight stay there. But this is a repositioning cruise, so there's no incentive for Celebrity to make the trip any more interesting than it has to be.

We're on our post Xmas diets (2 days a week @ 600 calories) so with any luck, we should fit into last year's swim wear. The only problem is that on the other 5 days, especially the weekends, A makes lovely comfort food to keep the cold and damp weather at bay. We've even started making our own pizza, which have a tad more topping that shop bought or takeaway. It certainly makes up for 2 days of celery sticks.

See you soon

R

Hi Guys

Got back from the UK late last night. Had a great stay, weather was foul, high winds, driving rains, but otherwise bearable except for the british ideal of central heating, cannot fathom why their homes are divided into various totally distinct climate zones, it is the pee freezing at night that takes getting used to. The Bars were ultra quiet, it seems the poor folks only get paid at the end of the month and as they had all been paid before the Christmas Holidays, so what with the long time since being paid last and the expenses of the Holidays, the Folks in Brighton were running on Financial Air !!!

Any way we are getting close to final payment time, can almost smell the Martinis at the Martini Bar

Mega Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Hi Peter,

Yes, we are sailing with the Pied Piper group, so see you at the parties. We are in stateroom 6220. We have already picked a few shore excursions: the Wildcat speed boat in Bermuda and then we'll take local transportation and walk around the rest of the time, maybe with some of the Pied Piper group members. In the Azores, we were going to do the four-wheel drive trip, but decided we would see more of what we wanted to see by going on the Furnas Valley Tour. In the Bahamas, we booked a Segway tour with an outside company. I've never been on one before and figured I might as well give it a go. In the UK, we have nothing scheduled because we have each been there so many times, London is like a second home. I've never been to Cambridge, so thinking about a day trip there. My traveling companion, Mike, has a boyfriend in London, so I might be on my own for a bit, but I wish him lots of fun. Looking forward to meeting you on board.

Jamie

Hi Peter, Hi Jamie,

With so many trips to the UK, do we charge you for coming here? You could clear our national debt. We have to pay $14 for a 2 year visa (ESTA) - not much but we always worry that our application will be declined. They clearly state that you shouldn't book anything until you get one. Fortunately, we're clear - now all we have to do is wait 10 more weeks.

Unfortunately, our central heating system is a little archaic. The Gulf Stream usually keeps us pretty temperate so we don't usually get the extremes of temperature experienced by the Continent or the US. Our air conditioning is even worse - it's called OpenAWindow.

After Jamie's first message, I has a look at the ordinary roll call - there are thousands of messages. I guess it's because CruiseCritic members are savvy travellers and know all the repositioning cruises. Great if you can take your holidays when you want. A is hoping to retire early, in about 10 years, but wants to go on a world cruise. I think a month or 2 on a ship would do me in.

Finally, I noticed a 2nd GLTB thread for this cruise, but I don't think they are going with PP. No doubt we'll bump into them over the 13 nights, especially at the nightly Martini bar gatherings.

See you soon

Roy

Hi Peter, Hi Jamie,

With so many trips to the UK, do we charge you for coming here? You could clear our national debt. We have to pay $14 for a 2 year visa (ESTA) - not much but we always worry that our application will be declined. They clearly state that you shouldn't book anything until you get one. Fortunately, we're clear - now all we have to do is wait 10 more weeks.

Unfortunately, our central heating system is a little archaic. The Gulf Stream usually keeps us pretty temperate so we don't usually get the extremes of temperature experienced by the Continent or the US. Our air conditioning is even worse - it's called OpenAWindow.

After Jamie's first message, I has a look at the ordinary roll call - there are thousands of messages. I guess it's because CruiseCritic members are savvy travellers and know all the repositioning cruises. Great if you can take your holidays when you want. A is hoping to retire early, in about 10 years, but wants to go on a world cruise. I think a month or 2 on a ship would do me in.

Finally, I noticed a 2nd GLTB thread for this cruise, but I don't think they are going with PP. No doubt we'll bump into them over the 13 nights, especially at the nightly Martini bar gatherings.

See you soon

Roy

Hi Guys

Actually the UK departure Tax is the highest in the world, it is your substitute for ESTA. Do not worry about ESTA. On Tuesday when I was on the Icelandair flight from Gatwick to JFK there was a Japanese passenger who they discovered in Reykjavik, did not have an ESTA. Icelandair managed to get him one in the 50 minute layover between planes.....impressive !!!

I think that your appalling high VAT rate is pobably doing something to clear your national debt, but I guess as you will soon be taking over Scotland's, you will need all the help you can get !!!

Actually, I go over to visit my elderly Mama who is 88, as she moves into periods of "confusion" I fly over three times a year to take advantage of her remaining lucid time.

Wuz interested by the second thread, usually Host Tyler merges multiple threads, must have slipped by him. Our last T/A in October on the Infinity from Harwich to Miami, PP had 58 guests and there were at least 50 other non-PP guests. The Martini Bar was very convivial every night.

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Sorry Peter,

The 2nd GLTB thread doesn't exist. It's for the Equinox on the 14th of April.

We sailed on the Equinox (the sister ship of the Eclipse) last year and booked this cruise on board. It's practically the same ship but with a similar name.

I was going to post a welcome note on the other thread, but thankfully, you've saved my embarrasment.

Cheers

Roy

Hi All,

Hope you had a good Valentine's Day. Adrian cooked Chinese food, helped along with a nice bottle of Chateauneuf. I had to put my dieting regime on hiatus, but with the UK being battered by 100 mph winds and rain from the Atlantic, it was nice to have some comfort food. If this keeps up, the 13 night crossing will only take a week!

I notice we are now officially booked with Celebrity. I've looked at their selection of excursions and they're uninspiring. I'm sure there are plenty of things to do on shore - I've read Nassau has hour long guided walks and the Azores has spectacular scenery. The overnight in Bermuda should be fun - last time, Derek took some of us to a drag show in town. It was to show support for the artistes who were being harassed by some fundamentalist Christians. The local press were there and asked some PP cruisers their opinion. Being gay was decriminalised in the 90s, but there is still much homophobia on the island. Otherwise, it would be idyllic.

With 9 weeks to go, I'll have plenty of time to think about what to do.

See you soon

Roy

Hi All,

Hope you had a good Valentine's Day. Adrian cooked Chinese food, helped along with a nice bottle of Chateauneuf. I had to put my dieting regime on hiatus, but with the UK being battered by 100 mph winds and rain from the Atlantic, it was nice to have some comfort food. If this keeps up, the 13 night crossing will only take a week!

I notice we are now officially booked with Celebrity. I've looked at their selection of excursions and they're uninspiring. I'm sure there are plenty of things to do on shore - I've read Nassau has hour long guided walks and the Azores has spectacular scenery. The overnight in Bermuda should be fun - last time, Derek took some of us to a drag show in town. It was to show support for the artistes who were being harassed by some fundamentalist Christians. The local press were there and asked some PP cruisers their opinion. Being gay was decriminalised in the 90s, but there is still much homophobia on the island. Otherwise, it would be idyllic.

With 9 weeks to go, I'll have plenty of time to think about what to do.

See you soon

Roy

You have hurricane force winds, we are suffering back-to back blizzards at the moment !!!!

The X excursion to Furnas Valley is terrific and I can highly recommend it. Spoke via E-mail to Bruce of PP last week, they will in all probability be doing their own excursion to Sete Cidades, as we are already booked on that, hopefully he can flip it to his group.

Nassau is the arm pit of the region, last time we were there even the Local Police Station had even been vandalized, kinda says it all, when the the local Police Department cannot protect their own Station!!!! We will have a restful day remaining on the ship.

Mega Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Shore excursions:

Nassau- booked Segway tour directly with local tour company, highly recommended on Cruise Critic. Never been on one before. Lord, I'll look like a silly tourist....but then, I am!

Bermuda- high speed boat around Bermuda through Celebrity, then local bus to get around and see things close up.

Azores- Furnas valley tour through Celebrity. Looks to be what I really want to see there.

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the update on your excursions.

I must admit, with only 3 ports of call, I'll be off the ship and using up all those extra calories (gained from my poor lack of will power) where ever I can (subject to how my head feels from the previous night in the Molecular Bar - their cocktails on the Equinox last year were gorgeous, the staff were happy to chat and it was much more relaxed than the Martini Bar on the floor below). A, however, has other plans - but has agreed that if Bruce is doing a PP trip on the Azores, he would be happy to come along.

Eight weeks and counting

See you soon

Roy

Bruce is great. Been on a few PP cruises with him now, but not for a little while.

We are staying for 5 nights in London, 4 at the Melia White House Hotel (nice hotel, great location) and the last night atop Heathrow Terminal 5 at the Sofitel.

Got tickets for two shows: Jersey Boys (of all places, London, to see that), and Book of Mormon (finally).

Yes, with a lot of days at sea I better do a heck of a lot of walking on that ship!

See you all on board. Less than 60 days!

Jamie

J