Cruise W/Parents on POAm? Need Advice!

karfest

My parents shocked me with the news that they are going on the PoAM in January. They have never cruised and never expressed an interest in cruising. They are in their 70's and in mostly good health so I'm sure they will have no problems except that they are clueless:D

Anyway, even though I am 40, the whiny child in me said "I wanna go" and they said "sure, come along!" My husband wants no part of this adventure and is encouraging me to go alone with them.

What do you think? Can a grown-up daughter survive 7 days on a cruise ship in an INSIDE cabin with her parents?? Mind you, my last 3 cruises I have been in either an AA or AB. Can I handle a JJ with two other people?

I will only go if I can get in on their 3rd person rate because this is like a "bonus" vacation for me and I have to budget myself on this one. My only concern is the reports of small cabins on this ship.

Please--Help me- I need some advice from those who have done this. If my parents were internet savvy, they would probably post wondering if they want to be stuck with their overgrown baby for 7 days. :eek:

Spend a lot of time on deck!! Whether u are with parents, friends or your kids...its easy to have people get on your nerves in a small space.....But I would never not go to Hawaii if I had the chance.....enjoy your trip and spending time with your parents......you will remeber it forever......

My parents shocked me with the news that they are going on the PoAM in January. They have never cruised and never expressed an interest in cruising. They are in their 70's and in mostly good health so I'm sure they will have no problems except that they are clueless:D

Anyway, even though I am 40, the whiny child in me said "I wanna go" and they said "sure, come along!" My husband wants no part of this adventure and is encouraging me to go alone with them.

What do you think? Can a grown-up daughter survive 7 days on a cruise ship in an INSIDE cabin with her parents?? Mind you, my last 3 cruises I have been in either an AA or AB. Can I handle a JJ with two other people?

I will only go if I can get in on their 3rd person rate because this is like a "bonus" vacation for me and I have to budget myself on this one. My only concern is the reports of small cabins on this ship.

Please--Help me- I need some advice from those who have done this. If my parents were internet savvy, they would probably post wondering if they want to be stuck with their overgrown baby for 7 days. :eek:

Hi Karen, I would go with an extremely open mind... I think that despite the cramped quarters, you may have incredible memories of spending quality time, alone with your parents. I can understand the situation of the JJ inside as I have become very spoiled with Mini-Suites and AC's and our upcoming AB. But maybe between now and then you can use the upsell techniques and at least get a bargain of an oceanview. Any reason your parents selected an inside? Perhaps since they are new to cruising, they could be convinced of the benefits of at least an oceanview and that may help you to feel better about the room. Still, I would go and enjoy the trip with your parents. I think you would regret it in the end.

karen,

Do not pause to ponder. GO GO GO!!!

The cabins are small, but this ship is AWESOME. I can't seem to form the words to convey how much fun I had on the one-night.

It is something truly special and I would suffer any cabin indignity: snoring parents, intense competition for the shower, even stubbed toes from trying to sneak in at all hours :p to be on this ship, especially in Hawaii!!!

You are gonna love it!

Julie

Thanks, Guys!!! I needed that extra push to put me over the edge.:D I can't believe I was second-guessing going on a cruise. I must be crazy from the Heat--

Anyway, now I need to reach their TA and figure out how to get in on this deal. It's a tour that includes air, hotel, transfers, etc. It's some sort of old person tour.(heehee) We'll even have a chaperone to help us get around. I would have preferred that they consulted me first to make arrangements, but I guess I can't complain, I'll be the youngster in this group!

BTW- my dad has to wear a crazy machine to control his snoring and my mom talks all night. This should be an experience for all of us....:eek:

Karen

Just go ! good or bad you will talk about this time with your parents for the rest of your life. I lost both my parents this year but still remember the one cruise I was able to get them to go on.

There are no do overs in life. :)

BTW- my dad has to wear a crazy machine to control his snoring and my mom talks all night. This should be an experience for all of us....:eek:

My solution - EARPLUGS!

After experiencing suites and now you are with your parents, I would urge you to look for an upsell, but in this ship, to get bigger you have to pay a lot lot more. Balcony cabins are not bigger. So if this is the only way, Go, yes, but know you will be crammed in there and this is not what you are used ot.

If you go knowing this; it will probably be fine; still check on an upsell and maybe you will get lucky and it will not be a lot more.

Good luck.

:eek:

If you are concerned about the tight cabin, check the itinerary on this cruise. There is so much time in port, you can just eat and sleep on the ship if you like!

I say "Go for it!"

As the last poster said--you will be in port every day, so less time in the room. Also it costs so little to be # 3 in a room.

It is nice to spend some quality time with your parents. I went to Norway with my Dad just a few years before he died. My Mom did not want to go; I had never been to Norway and he had lived there as a child and had relatives there.

He passed away 10 years ago; I will always cherish the time we had together on our Norway excusion.

Parents are so precious and you think they will live forever, but they don't. Take this quality time with them, one way or another and I am sure you will cherish it for the rest of your life.

I take back what I said about staying with them in a small cabin after more reflection.

Karen,

Go, if you can. I did this with my parents when I was an "older child". I will always be glad I did. They always "looked out for me" and I felt I had "to take care of them".

We co-ordinated dress times.........Dad first, he went for a drink.........Mom and I next, we had fun dressing each other:D .

Small cabin......I slept in top bunk.........never spent time in cabin, only to get dressed.........no problem....BTW bring earplugs:eek:

Have a great cruise, it will be a trip to remember above all others.

Karfest...this is just a suggestion and may not be plausable in your case.

With a new, no interest credit card you could possibly get an upsell that would solve the problem of the small cabin. If you could get a cabin with a balcony it actually adds another 'room' to your cabin. It could be a wonderful surprise for your parents and you could make it (instead of small gifts during the year) a Christmas/birthday/anniversary gift for both of them for the year.

We've been on 12 cruises, four of which we have taken some or all of our three 'kids' (who are actually adults). Those cruises were the absolute best of all.....on both sides.

As I said, it may not be possible for you to arrange this, but think of the memories you will create for your lifetime.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well. Good luck....

Happy cruising!

I was on the phone with their TA this morning for an hour- she specializes in doing Senior Tours and doesn't think I need all the hand holding that her tour involves. She actually recommended I book separately and meet up with them as their 3rd person rate is not that good. hmmm... I just thought it was an odd conversation.

Anyway, in checking rates for my own cabin through a couple of sites, they are not adding a single supplement when I check for just one person. Is that possibly a mistake? I would jump on that immediately if that was the case. Otherwise, the parents of a high school friend of mine are going and I asked her to join us. She has to check with her hubby and will get back to me. I hope they allow "kids" in the adults only pool:D

I was on the phone with their TA this morning for an hour- she specializes in doing Senior Tours and doesn't think I need all the hand holding that her tour involves. She actually recommended I book separately and meet up with them as their 3rd person rate is not that good. hmmm... I just thought it was an odd conversation.

Anyway, in checking rates for my own cabin through a couple of sites, they are not adding a single supplement when I check for just one person. Is that possibly a mistake? I would jump on that immediately if that was the case. Otherwise, the parents of a high school friend of mine are going and I asked her to join us. She has to check with her hubby and will get back to me. I hope they allow "kids" in the adults only pool:D

I have had that happen. Make sure you go all the way to the end of the booking proccess just short of paying. The price might change :eek: If it doesn't book it.

What date are you looking at?

I took a quick look even at NCL the rates a low the 7th and 14th. Just about $2000 an in for a single inside . Fare was 909 pp plus NC and Tax.

Shoreguy- I guess in my excitement to see such a low single fare I didn't go far enoughinto the transaction to get the "real" price. darnit....back to the drawing board!

I am looking at the Jan 21 sailing and found the same basic pricing you did. :mad:

It looks like airfare from Milwaukee won't be cheap either but now that the idea has been planted, I just HAVE to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I can find a roommate on these boards...I don't think I snore and I bathe on a regular basis--anyone interested????????;)

Thanks to all of you giving me that needed push, I booked it today. Now I have to figure out air, car rental, excursions, etc. and I only have 6 months to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully some of you are Hawaii experts.

---3 in a JJ, Lord help me;)

Well I see you just can't go a whole year without cruising. And thank you for setting me up on the FOMT log, now I will have to toss the family aside and end up partying with those guys. Sooo much for the family vacation. And before you start worrying about the size of the JJ, remember that I spent 8 days in an inside JJ with 4 people down the hall from you. I don't think your daughter complained the 2 nights she watched the kids for us. I was going to take the summer off from the website but I guess that won't happen now. Just to let you know that I have spent about 9 weeks in Hawaii over the years and it is just beautiful. And since I met DH on the last cruise, Randy might be looking forward to the 10 days himself (lol). I have 2 connecting rooms on the Jewel, you are welcome to join us or at least let one of your daughters come with us. See ya around.

Hi Snowmo-I was wondering when you would turn up!! I was actually thinking of your family when pondering my 3 in a JJ dilemma. BUT- Randy has now decided to go with me so I have had to change ALL the plans. The daughters will be home alone for 10 days, do you have a bowling tournament in Green Bay in January? Maybe you could babysit...wait...that would be a BAAAADDD idea:eek: (for you observers- the "girls" are 18 & 21, that's why Snowmo would like them to cruise with him;))

Have fun with the FOMT's- I hope to join the group someday when they pick a cruise that's not during Nov/Dec.

I now have to get back to planning--only 6 months to get it all arranged:D

Archived