Mariner, Concierge Level

sarawithanh

Agree about the wheelchair idea in airports, even if he is very mobile. A lot of walking just tires older people out. We recently returned from a river cruise with our good friends. He is 74 and usually fine, but the walking in the Frankfort airport almost did him in.

Ask for assistance in Frankfurt--we did and got a motorized vehicle! Otherwise would never made the gate--I won't go into all of that again!! They wanted to use a wheelchair but we would never had made the connection. As it was the connection time was shortened from 45 to 30 minutes without our knowledge ( and yes I checked the day before) so we were lucky to have asked for assistance in Venice when we checked in. Never ever again!

DH takes his handicap sign for the car with him. He simply shows it to the motorized car people and they give us a ride (I have to go with him don't I :D).

As to the plug situation. I have a portable plug with USB plug ins that we travel with wherever we go. Any regular hotel room seems to have one really accessible plug and we just use that one. Took it on Mariner and it was a real help.

I never doubted that the cruiseline would have rubber mats: it is the pre or post hotel stays that I would want to have a mat.

There had been some posts about lengthy waits for hotel rooms. The maids are not always available for a quick request re extra items or that the check in time is past their "duty" hours.

A tired, anxious traveler may not be willing to wait for room service to bring a mat. A relaxing bath/shower would be very tempting and slippery without a mat.

Linda VH: Thanks for the placard tip. We generally don't drive in foreign countries and hadn't thought about using our placard at the airports.

Edited by 8dimsum

Rachel - I'm a teenager (66)! :p And I WANT a wheelchair - with a cup holder for the Mai Tai's (and a long straw)! Especially for going through Heathrow's multiple terminals!

Not quite! 6 and 6 is only 12.

Thanks guys! I'll mention the wheelchair suggestion to my mom to see what she thinks. I think its a GREAT idea, especially since Gramps walks slow. and airports are just difficult to navigate in general - especially connecting flights (once had to run from one side of O'Hare to the other to make a Hawaii flight with my family - that was fun...)

Mom said she hated Frankfurt so I guess if we can, we will try to avoid that airport as the connecting airport...

Ya'll rock! yeah fishing through excursion options now - have to rule out the standing or walking heavy ones. but we shall figure it out.

Do ya'll usually check bags for cruises or just take a carryon? I honestly don't know how anybody can pack for a cruise using only a carryon! Grandpa took a carryon to Israel for 10days so maybe he will succeed for the cruise? not sure. but i'm pretty damn sure that I won't be able to pack for a cruise in just my carryon.

I do not recommend getting the insurance through Regent because you get what you pay for - my Mom and Dad always got the insurance through Regent and when the time came that they needed to use it, it was a complete nightmare and not worth the paper it is written on. Since then we have always purchased private insurance, which is pricey - but with your young age the average price will even out. Any claim that we had with the private insurance (I do not think I am allowed to mention the company, if I am wrong someone please correct me and I will mention it) has been paid promptly without any problems or hassles.

Since the passing of my Dad, I have become my Mom's travel companion and am cherishing every minute of it. If your Gramps does not already have one, I strongly recommend getting a "hurry cane" which folds up and comes in useful for walking on uneven surfaces. The airport cart service is a must.

gnomie :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the insurance advice. Its maddening and thankfully, making me file away notes for when DH and I plan our next big trip abroad! I always though we only needed trip protection insurance. but now I realize medical will come in handy - heaven forbid anything happen to DH while he was scuba diving this past Jan - yikes!!!!!

and to the above poster - yeah there is NO feasible way I can do a cruise with just a carry on suitcase. no way.

Thanks for the insurance advice. Its maddening and thankfully, making me file away notes for when DH and I plan our next big trip abroad! I always though we only needed trip protection insurance. but now I realize medical will come in handy - heaven forbid anything happen to DH while he was scuba diving this past Jan - yikes!!!!!

and to the above poster - yeah there is NO feasible way I can do a cruise with just a carry on suitcase. no way.

Make sure you read all the exclusions on your medical insurance. Sometimes sports are not covered.