Snorkel beach suggestions

Tmaxx1

We (me, wife, two kids - 15 and 11) will be at Curacao next week. Our stop is from 1pm until 10pm. We plan to rent a car and drive.

We all really love to snorkel so I am looking for advice on where we should go. We've probably only got from 1 to 6 assuming it gets dark around 6.

Would it be possible to hit a couple beaches for snorkeling and make it back to the ship by dark? If so, I would appreciate some suggestions on some spots we could go to in that time frame.

Since you have a rental car I would start out by going to the Northest part of the island (Westpunt).

On your drive down have a look at Knip Beach (great photo op!), snorkel a bit at Lagun (free beach with a "house" turtle) and then pay to get into Cas Abao.

This beach closes at 6 pm and then you can drive back to town (till what time do you have the car?).

lagun also has sea horses at about 2 ft of water so perfect for the kids to watch - they just look like leaves to begin with

Also amazing iganuas up at the cafe

if you have valuables - worth paying to use one of their lockers

only downside with lagun - no fresh water shower

Porto marie beach is great snorkelling and fits all criteria and is closer than the other beaches - plus falmingos, church and ladhuis enroute ( closed on mondays)

Any beach West will do they are all fab - it depends on how long you want to drive for - but nothing more than 1 hr away

Since you have a rental car I would start out by going to the Northest part of the island (Westpunt).

On your drive down have a look at Knip Beach (great photo op!), snorkel a bit at Lagun (free beach with a "house" turtle) and then pay to get into Cas Abao.

This beach closes at 6 pm and then you can drive back to town (till what time do you have the car?).

If we don't get into port until 1pm and the beach closes at 6pm, would we have enough time to do all that you suggest? I mapped it out and it would take 1 hour 45min to go from MegaPier to Westpunt to Lagun to Cas Abao and back to the MegaPier.

If we don't get into port until 1pm and the beach closes at 6pm, would we have enough time to do all that you suggest? I mapped it out and it would take 1 hour 45min to go from MegaPier to Westpunt to Lagun to Cas Abao and back to the MegaPier.

In my opinion you still have time to do all this. Just make sure you start the drive back with ample time to return the car and get onboard.

Driving back you will not hit traffic as most folks will be heading in the opposite direction after office hours.

If you have a rental and good port hours, this would be a great opportunity to see the island (that's why I don't recommend renting a car and go lay on the beach).

Enjoy your day and take lots of pictures!

In my opinion you still have time to do all this. Just make sure you start the drive back with ample time to return the car and get onboard.

Driving back you will not hit traffic as most folks will be heading in the opposite direction after office hours.

If you have a rental and good port hours, this would be a great opportunity to see the island (that's why I don't recommend renting a car and go lay on the beach).

Enjoy your day and take lots of pictures!

If I stay at the beach until closing (6pm) and start heading back, it is likely to get dark while driving. Is driving at night difficult or not advisable?

If I stay at the beach until closing (6pm) and start heading back, it is likely to get dark while driving. Is driving at night difficult or not advisable?

Normally I would advise against driving at night. But if you leave at 6, it will still be light out.

If you're coming from Cas Abao, you drive from the beach parking until you reach the main road and turn right. It is one straight road until you reach the point where this road merges with traffic coming from the left (they go first).

From this point it is one long straight road until you reach the pier area (4 round abouts later :))

It seems that for Avis there is a 3 day rental minimum for 12/24 in Curacao. Are all the car rentals going to be doing this?

You can try Thrifty - they offer free pick up and drop off.

But being December 24th, I'm not sure of their office hours.