Original Steam Shovels

wilfros

We are going on a partial transit on Coral Princess and then the ferry through to the Pacific.

Are there any original steam shovels that remain and will I have an opportunity to see them on the tour we are going on?

Thanks

The tour on the ferry will really eat up most of the day along with the transportation to and from the ship, so not much time for additional activities... that's the short answer. Now, the rest of the story... I don't believe there are any of the steam shovels that were used in Gaillard Cut left on the Isthmus any way. Two companies supplied the 102 steam shovels used, Bucyrus 77 of them and Marion the remaining 25.

I think the only remaining construction era steam shovel is a Marion in Le Roy New York. There is a Bucyrus Steam Shovel that was used at the Canal in Colorado, however I think that one was a post construction crane.

The tour on the ferry will really eat up most of the day along with the transportation to and from the ship, so not much time for additional activities... that's the short answer. Now, the rest of the story... I don't believe there are any of the steam shovels that were used in Gaillard Cut left on the Isthmus any way. Two companies supplied the 102 steam shovels used, Bucyrus 77 of them and Marion the remaining 25.

I think the only remaining construction era steam shovel is a Marion in Le Roy New York. There is a Bucyrus Steam Shovel that was used at the Canal in Colorado, however I think that one was a post construction crane.

Thanks for the reply.

What a shame that one was not preserved. From the photos I have seen these were quite the pieces of machinery and I would have loved to have seen one. Like the canal I think you need to actually see it to comprehend the magnificence of the item and the task.

Thanks again.

I don't know of any of the steam shovels, but there is an old crane outside the Mc Donald's in Balboa just below the Panama Canal HQ building. Regards, Richard

christmas-169.jpg?w=600

Richard

Thank you so much for the information... Outside McDonalds wow how interesting. I don't think I will make it there but it sure does look interesting.

Thanks for the photo

The Panama Canal held on to steam along time particularly when it came to cranes, in fact steam cranes were not phased out until the early 90s and that's 1990s. Unfortunately these cranes did not have any real historic significance and they of course were unceremoniously scrapped.

A side note, that Crane 64 caused a bit of a stir when it placed in the equipment display there at the Balboa RR station. It was put in the place of on the construction era steam locomotive U.S. 299. The ole 299 was rather hurriedly removed and shipped to the Transportation Museum in Patterson NJ in the waning days of U.S. administration of the Canal Zone. A few weeks went by before the government of Panama noticed there was a "ringer" in the 299's place. That caused a bit of a stir and for a while it looked like it was going to become a local version of the "Great Train Robbery." Feathers were eventually smoothed out in any event.

There are some equipment displays at the Locks in addition to the Balboa RR station and you may be able to see from your ship and from the ferry, but of course you won't get up very close while transiting. Lots of great things to take in at the Canal and Panama, you'll have to come back again!!

The Panama Canal held on to steam along time particularly when it came to cranes, in fact steam cranes were not phased out until the early 90s and that's 1990s. Unfortunately these cranes did not have any real historic significance and they of course were unceremoniously scrapped.

A side note, that Crane 64 caused a bit of a stir when it placed in the equipment display there at the Balboa RR station. It was put in the place of on the construction era steam locomotive U.S. 299. The ole 299 was rather hurriedly removed and shipped to the Transportation Museum in Patterson NJ in the waning days of U.S. administration of the Canal Zone. A few weeks went by before the government of Panama noticed there was a "ringer" in the 299's place. That caused a bit of a stir and for a while it looked like it was going to become a local version of the "Great Train Robbery." Feathers were eventually smoothed out in any event.

There are some equipment displays at the Locks in addition to the Balboa RR station and you may be able to see from your ship and from the ferry, but of course you won't get up very close while transiting. Lots of great things to take in at the Canal and Panama, you'll have to come back again!!

BOY!!! Thanks for the story. I have really been hooked on the history of the canal since booking our upcoming cruise. I love history in general but with the "Path between the seas" my imagination has been captured.

As we travel through I will keep my eyes open.

Thanks for your post.