Grand Cayman on our own?

familycruiser01

I've heard a bit on here about the busing. Will be in GC in two weeks - want to do Turtle Farm, Hell, Seven Mile, (is Butterfly farm still open?) - don't want to spend all our time sitting on the beach. Can we do GC on the bus line and if so, would that be more economical than say, renting a car? My BF and I have never been to GC so not sure about driving when we don't have a clue where we are. We will be on RCCL Freedom - so need to make sure we can get back to the ship on time. Any suggestions/ideas/feedback?

Bus is CI$2 (US$2.50) per person each time you get off the bus.

Turtle Farm and Hell are about a mile or so apart, though there are several turns and twists involved and no sidewalks between the two. Riding a bus is recommended. Seven Mile Beach is a definite bus ride from either.

The Butterfly Farm is closed.

Renting a car is possible, though may cost more than bus fares. Driving is on the left side of the road.

Consider skipping Hell. If on a tour, I have no problem with this tourist trap stop. I don't think it is worth the effort to see some black rocks and a gift shop if you are on the public bus though.

I've heard a bit on here about the busing. Will be in GC in two weeks - want to do Turtle Farm, Hell, Seven Mile, (is Butterfly farm still open?) - don't want to spend all our time sitting on the beach. Can we do GC on the bus line and if so, would that be more economical than say, renting a car? My BF and I have never been to GC so not sure about driving when we don't have a clue where we are. We will be on RCCL Freedom - so need to make sure we can get back to the ship on time. Any suggestions/ideas/feedback?

Our first time in GC we rented a car from Cayman Auto right near the port (Andy's will also shuttle you to/from port) and drove everywhere. LOVED IT. We found the island easy to navigate, just have to concentrate on driving on the proper side of the road. Passenger remind driver 'left, left, left" at turns. There are also roundabouts that can be challenging for folks that don't navigate them normally (we have a lot here so no issues).

That said, if you don't want to see the island other than Turtle Farm and SMB then bus is the way to go. Very easy to use. Very frequent. Pay driver upon exiting. Flag them down as you need them.

Agree with the other poster, skip Hell or make it low priority. 10 minute stop at best.