Where to Snorkel on my own in Cozumel without a group excursion?

GaTo

Hey guys i'll be visiting Cozumel aboard the liberty next month and the wife and I have decided to do break in our brand new gear with some snorkeling at each port of call.

For some of the ports we have an excursion planned so we'll have limited time to snorkel but we still want to try.

The catch is we are wanting to go out on our own for the snorkeling. So my question to the seasoned vets out there is where are the good snorkeling spots in cozumel for those that want to go out on their own?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

-Gato

Chankanaab is the best snorkeling I've done. The catch is it is $21 per person entry fee, plus the cab ride ($13 each way up to 4 people, IIRC). There is a wonderful snorkel area, a decent "beach" area, tons of shaded chairs, a decent restaurant, beautiful gardens, animal exhibits and upsells like Dolphin swims or zip lining.

However, my money goes to Money Bar. The cab ride is $8 each way up to 4 people, and they let you use their facilities, beach chairs (though no true beach, just sandy area) for free. It is polite to buy a drink or snack, but they are very reasonably priced (we did 4 smoothies and a plate of nachos for $25.) Lots of the snorkel tours actually drop off at Money Bar as one of their stops.

Chankanaab has a sign saying life jackets (nor snorkel vests, I saw people wearing them but could never figure out where they got them) are manadatory- and they will give you a free one in exchange for an ID, but when we asked they said they just recommended them and didn't require us to wear them. Both locations will rent you gear.

Edited by skittl1321

Chankanaab is the best snorkeling I've done. The catch is it is $21 per person entry fee, plus the cab ride ($13 each way up to 4 people, IIRC). There is a wonderful snorkel area, a decent "beach" area, tons of shaded chairs, a decent restaurant, beautiful gardens, animal exhibits and upsells like Dolphin swims or zip lining.

However, my money goes to Money Bar. The cab ride is $8 each way up to 4 people, and they let you use their facilities, beach chairs (though no true beach, just sandy area) for free. It is polite to buy a drink or snack, but they are very reasonably priced (we did 4 smoothies and a plate of nachos for $25.) Lots of the snorkel tours actually drop off at Money Bar as one of their stops.

Chankanaab has a sign saying life jackets (nor snorkel vests, I saw people wearing them but could never figure out where they got them) are manadatory- and they will give you a free one in exchange for an ID, but when we asked they said they just recommended them and didn't require us to wear them. Both locations will rent you gear.

Thank you for the recommendations Skittl, i've been to Chankanaab before and the snorkeling was good there, it's one of the places i'm still considering but was hoping to avoid because its going to cost me almost $30 bucks to go snorkeling when all i want to do is snorkel. It's not that it's expensive, but i didn't want to spend the extra mula if I didn't have to.

Hows the actual snorkeling at Money bar? If it's good then i agree that it's the better deal.

Hows the actual snorkeling at Money bar? If it's good then i agree that it's the better deal.

Like I said, many snorkel boats use the Dzul-Ha reef that Money Bar is on as one of their stops, so it is a good stop.

Very similar to Chankanaab if you are willing to swim a bit further out (wear a bright rashguard or something similar as there is some boat traffic- but it is all snorkel boats, so I found they are generally aware of snorkelers), slightly lighter but worthwhile close to shore. It is not a beach entry, the rocky entry (there are two sets of stairs and a pier with ladder) attracts the fish, not like a sandy spot with very few wish. There is a current, so you either have to start up current and prepare to drift or pay attention to how far away you are getting.

We greatly enjoyed our day at Money Bar. I only snorkeled Chankanaab because we were there for Manatees.

Edited by skittl1321