First Cruise with the Kids--when to tell them?

avgsuperheroine

We are divided on this one! We're going on our first full-family cruise in two months, and it's our first Disney cruise as well. We are so excited but can't decide when to tell the boys.

Our boys are 6, 8, 9. We've only traveled 3-4 hours away with them before for a weekend, so this will be really fun for them! We can't decide if we should surprise them really close to when we leave or tell them a little sooner. Personally, I like having something to look forward to. The youngest needs to have 1 month or less otherwise he doesn't really understand how long a time frame something is.

Honestly, at that age I wouldn't say a thing until it is time to go, then get them in the car and leave... anything can happen between now and then to stop the trip from happening, and lead to disappointment.

Put up a countdown calendar with the fact that a surprise is going to happen at the end, this way if something happens and the cruise can't happen, a special dinner or funday could.

Closer to the date you can schedule a call from Mickey, Mickey and Minnie or even Pluto which will tell them they are going on a Disney Cruise. We are leaving the end of January on our First Disney Cruise and we schedule the call on Christmas morning for my 4 Year old it was great. (only thing Mickey need to slow down when he talks but it was loud and clear to my 4 year old)

Now we are counting down :D

Good luck

Nan

As you pointed out, little ones have no concept of time. My suggestion--wait till less than a month before and then do a "countdown to surprise" chain. They are looking forward to something, but they don't know what. Arrange your phone call from Mickey a few days to maybe a week before and make that the day of the "surprise." And, have another chain ready for that last week or few days. It will save you the "how many more days" question constantly, but can also explain mom packing, etc.

Now, you didn't ask, but I'll give you my packing tip. First, the kids won't have worn their summer clothing in a long time. THey need to try on the stuff before you pack it (yeah, I didn't do this once with a Feb. cruise and somehow nothing fit from the summer before!). Then pack a full outfit in a zip lock type bag for each kid, each day. It makes life so much easier in the morning--you get a bag out of the drawer and that's what kiddo is wearing that day. Everything is color coordinated, etc. No fumbling thru drawers in the cabin and on the last 2 days finding out that the only clean clothing remaining don't go together or whatever. Even Dad can get the kids dressed this way!

We are divided on this one! We're going on our first full-family cruise in two months, and it's our first Disney cruise as well. We are so excited but can't decide when to tell the boys.

Our boys are 6, 8, 9. We've only traveled 3-4 hours away with them before for a weekend, so this will be really fun for them! We can't decide if we should surprise them really close to when we leave or tell them a little sooner. Personally, I like having something to look forward to. The youngest needs to have 1 month or less otherwise he doesn't really understand how long a time frame something is.

The one year we made a shirt for our son that said "I'm having a Disney Birthday" He put it on half asleep walked around the house with it for about 30 min. It wasn't until we heard a loud squeal from the bathroom that we knew he finally read his shirt!

Don't tell them when you are REALLY leaving.

The first Disney Cruise, we told my boys about the cruise and the date of the cruise. DISASTER on the night before the flight! They were so excited.

Subsequent Disney Cruises, we told them about the cruise, but we gave a different date. So they thought we were leaving on a Friday but we were actually leaving on Thursday. Everyone slept very well, and they woke up to a bit of unanticipated Disney magic.

So yes, tell them about the cruise, just make sure to give them the wrong date.

Edited by OceanLiner

Honestly, at that age I wouldn't say a thing until it is time to go, then get them in the car and leave... anything can happen between now and then to stop the trip from happening, and lead to disappointment.

Put up a countdown calendar with the fact that a surprise is going to happen at the end, this way if something happens and the cruise can't happen, a special dinner or funday could.

that wouldn't work with my kid. we wait for a trip to the zoo or something, (we didn't tell her we were going to the zoo till we were at the zoo) but not something big like the cruise. I needed to prepare her for the long car drive.

We started getting our 2 year excited in oct, as far as teaching her the characters and a time frame -birthday, Halloween, thanksgiving, cruise, Christmas! After Halloween, I put her costumes up but told her she could have them back after the cruise and that ON the cruise she could wear them.

I really started talking to her about the trip and the rules, esp 'no cry in car' during the really, really, really long drive to meet minnie mouse (5.5 hours, turned into closer to 10 hours the first time with my kid...).

I wouldn't lie and give them the wrong date, at those ages marking it down on a calendar would be good.

Yes, make sure their clothes fit. I saw more than a few kids in clothes that were too small the week before Christmas!

another tip-buy the treats now. I didn't buy any toys while on ship/port. I had dd's 'tinkerbell' gifts ready to go long before we sailed. I picked up princess and Minnie related items (princess bubble bath, sofia night gown and Minnie mouse, and baby princesses were a hit! I also had Minnie paint, colors and stamps, plus stickers and those foil 'to go' packs for down time/sea days/before dinner). Micheal's and Target or the even the dollar store work well for small things. Keeps them from asking!

We are going to WDW for 5 nights and then doing a 4 night cruise on the Dream at the end of April. Our kids think that we are thinking of going to WDW around November, during thanksgiving break. We are not telling them about the WDW until the morning we fly out. We will wake them up like any other school day, then when we get in the car we will head to the airport lol. We are also not planning on telling them we are going on a cruise until we leave Disney. They are going to think we are headed back home, but we will go to the port instead. They will be 8, 6, and 3 years old when we leave. Its been very hard keeping it from them. :D

Thanks for all the ideas! I don't feel like we need to prepare them for the trip itself. They adapt pretty well. We heard these ideas and the main thing that stuck out was what if something happened and the trip was cancelled! That was the main reason we decided to wait till we leave to tell them.

They spend lots of time with their grandparents and aunt each week, so we're going to record a video of them on our phones telling them goodbye and have a good trip so they're not disappointed about rushing off. (We have to leave at about 2-3am for the airport so a send-off is not reasonable).