QM2 – Quirky – Majestic – Peerless – Flawed

megacruiser

This is my first attempt at a photo tour. It is based on my recent QM2 mini-cruise at the end of November.

Day one…

It was mid November with four days holiday to be taken before the end of the year. Pre-festive doldrums had descended and a pick-me-up was called for. A blast of hot sunny weather is my default antidote but for such a short break in late November the only guarantee of warm sunshine involves a lengthy flight. With all the hassle associated with today’s international air travel, it just wasn't worth it. One option of a London eating-out extravaganza was also ruled out on the grounds of cost, both of fine dining and decent hotel accommodation. It underscores the unrivalled value of cruising, even allowing in my case for the iniquitous 100% single supplement...

The thought of a mini-cruise has never really appealed. Some negative reviews have highlighted that the onboard atmosphere can be adversely affected by a different passenger profile. My reticence was reinforced by blistering reports of boisterous revelry attributable to hen parties and others who treat such sailings as "party cruises" fuelled by excessive alcohol consumption. So my expectations of this four-day mini-cruise on Queen Mary 2 were very measured but in reality exceeded by a country mile.

Choosing Cunard proved to be an astute decision. They do try to maintain some standards and their anachronistic dress code seems to successfully deter a certain element that feels at home on P&O and that is a blessing for sure. We called at Zeebrugge and Le Havre but this cruise was primarily about the ship and what it had to offer. It would be interesting to make comparisons with my previous cruise, her first eastbound crossing of the Atlantic over a leisurely 17 days in March 2004.

Traffic approaching the Ocean Terminal was gridlocked because of road works and a lack of proper traffic-management needed to ameliorate their impact. Queen Mary 2 had docked in Southampton two hours late that morning due to adverse weather on her inbound transatlantic voyage. Vehicular egress from the dock area was severely inhibited causing hundreds of already-late disembarking passengers untold difficulty. Nightmare stories emerged from embarking passengers. Some had literally spent hours in taxis to cover a distance of under a mile, eventually having to abandon them to complete their journeys on Shanks's pony.

qm2fuji008_zps2d999d07.jpg[/url]

Check-in was to be delayed. Lettered cards were issued on arrival and were to be called in chronological order.

qm2coffeecheckin_zps9a8d304c.jpg[/url]

During the long wait, an adjacent coffee shop did a brisk trade.

qm2fuji017_zpsb3a628c5.jpg[/url]

Speciality dining options displayed on the walk from check-in to security.

When the check-in and boarding process started it was very efficient and I was aboard within about 20 minutes.

qm2fuji104_zps22f3e874.jpg[/url]

af53163a-5ac9-44a2-bd8b-c1733cee2bd8_zps150a4469.jpg[/url]

QM2tripveuveclicqot_zps4534a392.jpg[/url]

As I entered the Grand Lobby, adjacent to the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar, I was immediately impressed by how pristine everything looked. No telltale signs that this Grande Dame was about to celebrate her 10th anniversary. If anything, the interior of the ship was now improved, perhaps due in part to recent alterations and re-carpeting.

fujiqm2GoldenLionent_zps0d90ef89.jpg[/url]

In particular the Golden Lion pub…

QM2TRIPChartRoomxmas_zps774ee634.jpg[/url]

… and the Chart Room bar had been visibly transformed and were much more welcoming.

A customary first day visit to the lunch buffet was unavoidable, and unquestionably the Kings Court is the ships biggest failing. Badly laid out and managed, a sense of complacency and resignation pervades the entire area. Management seem to have given up on it. My recollection is that originally there were four distinct areas serving different cuisines. Now it seems that almost everything is available at each section. It used to be possible to find something well cooked and palatable, but now the quality and presentation of the food is substandard.

fujiqm2kingscrtgood_zps9783f86e.jpg[/url]

qm2fuji023_zpsd0601827.jpg[/url]

fujiqm2kingscourtbad_zpsc56018c7.jpg[/url]

For the next three days, breakfast and lunch were taken in the Britannia Restaurant and although the waiter service was patchy and often slow, the food overall was satisfactory.

The exceptional weather on embarkation day allowed me to explore the open decks and take some photos.

QM2trip013_zps4753bf42.jpg[/url] QM2Nikon022_zps0d486677.jpg[/url] QM2tripF005_zpsd68c4e1d.jpg[/url

[qm2fuji043_zps9fbcf9dd.jpg[/url]

QM2Nikon016trip_zps4deea9bb.jpg[/url]

It was so mild no jacket was required - unlike the restaurants in the evening... I had expected the dress code to be more relaxed or less well enforced on a mini-cruise. So it was a surprise that there were no casual nights. Even on the first night, jackets for men were required with pretty universal compliance.

This brings me to the general comportment of fellow passengers. The vast majority were presentably dressed and there were no issues in relation to inappropriate behaviour or demeanour. So the concerns raised in some reviews proved unfounded on this sailing. Mind you if you look to find fault, it is always possible… However, I went with a positive attitude and the intention of enjoying myself. Any shortcomings highlighted are merely observations that others may or may not be able to relate to and not intended as nit-picking.

I met a wide cross section of people. Aside from my table for eight at dinner, I always chose to share a table at breakfast and lunch and found most of my table companions to be charming and down-to-earth. Any notion that mini cruises are primarily for folk who can’t afford longer ones was dispelled. The passenger mix was just as you would find on any quality cruise and very much in keeping with longer Cunard voyages or on Celebrity or Oceania… and undoubtedly better than some of my experiences on certain mega-ships operated by P&O and Royal Caribbean.

QM2trip013lifeboat_zps70eafbef.jpg[/url]

After the delayed lifeboat drill in the Winter Gardens, I changed for dinner and made my way to my favourite early-evening haunt…

QM2trip283_zps1beabad3.jpg[/url]

… the Commodore Club.

QM2trip030_zps296f7c77.jpg[/url]

Cleverly deployed mood lighting enhances the clubby and intimate cocktail-bar ambience. Appropriate live music is played here on the grand piano before and after dinner.

QM2tripchurchillsint_zps62b05dc6.jpg[/url]

For those who enjoy an after dinner vintage port and a Cuban cigar, Churchill’s is an adjacent glass-panelled annex, closed off to minimise smoke incursion. Cigarette smoking is not permitted.

First night dinner was a little disappointing.

qm2fuji160trip_zpsc24ba82b.jpg[/url]

The Spring Rolls tasted better than they looked but were hardly a gastronomic tour de force. I fancied the Roast Lamb for main but the waiter recommended the Sirloin Steak or the Cod. I have had too many bad experiences with main dining room steak, so opted for the fish.

qm2trip024_zpsfbf4f782.jpg[/url]

It was just passable and certainly nothing special. Other diners seemed to be happy with the lamb but not with the steak. Lesson learned. Listen to your intuition, not the waiter…

qm2trip020_zpsb9593d9b.jpg[/url]

The Apple Strudel with custard finished the meal nicely even if it was more comfort food than refined cooking.

qm2fuji101_zps180943c3.jpg[/url]

It was off then to the Royal Court theatre for tonight’s entertainment. A proper show thankfully, not one of those “Welcome Aboard” shows with an annoying cruise director asking, by show of hands, who had cruised before… and whether anyone in the audience was from Canada etc, etc… and could we all turn round and introduce ourselves to one another… Irksome and cringeworthy!

qm2theatresingersdark_zps203ad0c7.jpg[/url]

Instead, four very good singers, who I believe were part of the resident troupe, put on a laidback gimmick-free concert of popular standards. Superb musical accompaniment was provided courtesy of a huge eighteen-piece “combined orchestra” that included musicians who normally perform separately, such as the harpist and the string quartet. QM2singersred_zps98490763.jpg[/url]

QM2G32fromQueensRoom_zps4139c551.jpg[/url]

QM2G32entview_zpsd07a8b95.jpg[/url]

Then on to "the best nightclub on the high seas", a claim Cunard makes for G32 with which I totally agree and actually highlighted in my original review “Is It Worth the Money – QM2 Review” (easily found on this site by entering the exact title including quotation marks on the world’s favourite search engine). I have yet to experience better.

QM2G32Dancing_zps5f38c49e.jpg[/url]

It was well frequented and the dance floor was kept busy most of the time. The big downside is that smoking is permitted on the mezzanine balcony from where there is a great view of the action below. The atmosphere otherwise was terrific and buzzing well into the wee small hours; I never left before 1.30am.

Day two to follow…

Day Two

The next morning, complimentary shuttle buses were provided in Zeebrugge, dropping passengers at Blankenberg station from where a short and inexpensive hourly train service runs to Bruges; a beautiful city to explore in good weather but less appealing in mid-winter…

QM2bRITANNIA_zps3bca5faf.jpg[/url]

Back on board for a late lunch in the Britannia Restaurant. All such lunches were enjoyable and of a very acceptable standard.

An afternoon siesta followed - to catch up on lost sleep and to ready myself for another late night.

fujiqm2Chartroomeve_zps842c327a.jpg[/url]

Early evening pianist in the Chart Room bar.

QM2JAZZCHART_zpsb2f9eaef.jpg[/url]

A jazz trio also played here most evenings.

Two shows were on offer this evening, with dinner served in between.

QM2Beatles_zpsf221de89.jpg[/url]

The Beatles Experience was a pre-dinner show held in the Queens Room. Although musically competent, I didn’t find their patter or resemblance to The Beatles as good as another such tribute band seen recently.

QM2beatlesaudienceQueensRoon_zpsd23a074b.jpg[/url]

Nevertheless they sounded good, which was the main thing, and they won the audience over, latterly filling the large impressive dance floor.

With two alternative dining reservations already booked, tonight’s dinner in the Britannia Restaurant was to be my last and was very good by main dining room standards.

QM2salmonrillette_zps26464c12.jpg[/url]

The Salmon Rillette was intensely flavoured and delicious.

QM2qm2primerib_zps9aee0417.jpg[/url]

The Prime Rib was very substantial and as good as any I have had at sea, being both tasty and melt-in-the-mouth tender.

Tonight’s Royal Court theatre performance was by the Liverpudlian cruise veteran…

QM2JohnMartincomedian_zpsc77673ed.jpg[/url]

… comedian John Martin, whom I first recall seeing aboard Canberra.

Mostly well received, I wasn’t in stitches but I certainly enjoyed his performance. Of course sense of humour varies greatly and some managed to remain stony-faced throughout. Another visit to G32 followed. My timing wasn’t as good this time so I had to endure 45 minutes of the resident band Vibz. I am pretty sure this is the same band from 2004 and the format of alternating with the DJ remains unchanged. In my opinion their enthusiasm does not compensate for their limited vocal ability.

Day three to follow…

Day Three

A scheduled late evening arrival into Le Havre meant most of the next day was spent at sea. This was my opportunity to go around the ship to take some snaps.

QM2SIRSAMUELS_zps992a1f21.jpg[/url]

Sir Samuel’s is the coffee shop, lovely room - mediocre coffee.

QM2SIRSmuelscoffeemach_zpsb1ba95e9.jpg[/url]

Perhaps the staff should be trained properly as baristas. A milk thermometer should be used. Not expensive, but essential for consistency.

QM2LIBRARYENTRANCE_zps5d2e32f7.jpg[/url]

I understand the QM2 library is the largest at sea…

QM2Librarysweeping_zpsc6590b17.jpg[/url]

…it follows the curved front of the ship below the Bridge and

QM2LIBRARYCRANNY_zpsed1c3f45.jpg[/url]

It has views over the bow and lots of nooks and crannies.

fujiqm22075_zpsc824a59b.jpg[/url]

There is an adjoining bookshop

QM2trip306_zps5e0a3eda.jpg[/url]

There is a smallish indoor pool area. No expense or imagination has gone into making it attractive or somewhere you would want to spend time. What a pity.

QM2IndoorpooJACUZZIEVIEWl_zpsfc6be31d.jpg[/url]

When you think of the indoor pools that Royal Caribbean has it shows how nicely it can be done.

QM2TOPDECKUNUSED_zps999f1429.jpg[/url]

When you think of the massive underused space on the top deck, you do feel more use could have been made of it.

QM2KIDSPOOL_zps4b959dcc.jpg[/url]

There is also a paddling pool for kids with the Regatta Bar behind.

QM2BELLTOP_zps0dd8ae8e.jpg[/url]

There is bell up on top…

QM2LOBBYBELL_zps77af2ee4.jpg[/url]

… and another in the Grand Lobby.

QM2LOBBYGAP_zps870ba39c.jpg[/url]

QM2lobbydowntree_zps2c53ab50.jpg[/url]

QM2BRONZELOBBYUP_zps030959a8.jpg[/url]

Bronze sculpture high in the Atrium and the cabin windows that overlook.

Some more snaps before I return to the main written part of the review. A few of the Commodore Club, my favourite venue…

Daytime…

QM2COMMODOREDAY_zpsf65b7309.jpg[/url]

QM2BOARDROOMFROMCOMM_zps54c59267.jpg[/url]

Looking towards the Boardroom

QM2COMMODOREMODELDAY_zpsf6a3a595.jpg[/url]

Now a miscellany of photos I will call stairways, corridors, artwork, carpets and wood panelling.

These are two of the “hidden” corridors I refer to later.

QM2HIDDENCORRIDOR_zps46fae991.jpg[/url]

This one also accommodates the art gallery.

QM2HIDDENART_zps59310deb.jpg[/url]

Hallways are warm with soothing lighting and lovely wood veneer doors. All carpeting aboard appears to be very new and much of it quite stunning.

QM2CORRIDORCARPET_zps39adb6b0.jpg[/url]

QM2STAIRWAYART_zpsb66ecd24.jpg[/url]

QM2ARTNIVEN_zpsbf04885b.jpg[/url]

There is a colossal amount of artwork aboard, much of it relating to Cunard’s heritage.

QM2WOODARTLIFTS_zps33cbe064.jpg[/url]

QM2BRONZEARTREDHALLWAY_zps71af8857.jpg[/url]

This lobby hallway on Deck 2 struck me on my first trip because of its breadth and length.

QM2CONNECTINGREDLOBBY_zpsd2eb175b.jpg[/url]

It runs on beyond the post box to the Britannia Restaurant main entrance.

However throughout the cruise, work in progress meant that the main entrance and the adjoining lobby with six lifts, was completely closed off. Access had to be gained via the Golden Lion pub…

QM2DETAILLIFTSTICKER_zps1965b65d.jpg[/url]

My reason for showing you this photo is to highlight an issue that Cunard, with all its grand heritage and unparalleled experience as a luxury brand, is all too often getting wrong these days, namely attention to detail. Now that sticker is not a five star notice. Something rather more appropriate could have been made or acquired. And if not, then someone should have at least taken the time to apply the sticker with some care… It is only marginally less jarring to the eye then graffiti.

Now I will return to the original written part of my review…

Even though everyone was pretty much stuck indoors, unlike other vessels of this size, the ship did not feel unduly crowded; with one exception...

Even though recently enlarged, the Golden Lion pub struggled to cope with demand.

QM2GoldenLionBEERS_zps617fe499.jpg[/url]

Seats were nearly impossible to find if not arriving early - understandable I guess when the vast majority of passengers were British and on a winter mini-cruise.

Extremely busy and very popular for its pub lunch offerings, I do remember how good the fish and chips had been last time but, sadly, not enough time on this trip for me to try a pub lunch…

fujiqm2GoldenLion_zps97b42a33.jpg[/url]…

…but I did get to sample some delicious British ale.

QM2QUEENSWIDEST_zps132b72b8.jpg[/url]

The ship was being decorated for the festive season during the course of this mini-cruise.

Afternoon Tea taken in the Queen Room is a must-do experience, even if only once. So popular on this trip that queues formed an hour before the doors opened, with folk being turned away due to excess demand. I remember how well it was executed on my last trip but I am sorry I can’t advise how it compares now, as I wasn’t prepared to queue.

QM2QUEENSDANCING_zps0afecb6f.jpg[/url]

This is also the venue for those who enjoy ballroom dancing… no longer strictly for those who dance it seems, judging by its popularity in recent years…

Another reason to miss tea was to save myself for what was to come…

QM2TODDDAY_zpsb3035af4.jpg[/url]

Tonight was formal night and I had opted to book the speciality restaurant Todd English.

QM2ENTRYTODD_zps77a78702.jpg[/url]

QM2BRDRTODDVESTIBULE_zpsc3be9690.jpg[/url]

QM2TODDBAR_zps7a474a29.jpg[/url]

I had been underwhelmed on my previous visit. This time was much better and more in line with other good speciality restaurants, like Seventeen and Murano. Unusually, everything is priced individually on an à la carte menu. So if you want an appetizer and a soup, you pay for both rather than included as part of a fixed price menu.

QM2TODDCRAB_zpsb5afe7a5.jpg[/url]

The Crab Cake starter was far from run-of-the-mill. A crispy crust encased a delightful crab mixture and this worked well with the whipped avocado and a spicy sweet and sour tomato soup; a beautiful balance of textures and flavours was achieved.

QM2TODDSOUP_zps5415e127.jpg[/url]

The Lobster and Baby Corn Chowder was rather lacklustre. I had read rave comments about it so thought I would give it a try. Rich and full flavoured but for me rather disappointing because I felt it had too much potato and lacked refinement.

QM2LAMBCUT_zps11c29098.jpg[/url]

The Rack of Lamb, however, was sensational. The quality of meat was first class, flavoursome and tender, and cooked to perfection. The accompanying Merguez samosa and the Harissa sauce added welcome spiciness. The whole plate of food was well integrated and satisfying in every aspect.

QM2TODDFALLENCHOCOLATE_zps20b2ee9d.jpg[/url]

If my memory serves me correctly, the dessert of Chocolate Fallen Cake with raspberry sauce and ice cream had survived from the original menu. As someone who normally avoids chocolate desserts, I have to say it was quite exceptional. Believe me, this was no M&S melting middle chocolate sponge…

QM2TODDFALLENMIDDLE_zps6d8fcf08.jpg[/url]

… it oozed of highly accomplished cooking and certainly my best-tasting dessert in a ship’s speciality restaurant. Perhaps elsewhere I have been more captivated by the theatre of a tableside flambé but for the actual eating pleasure, this pudding was the clear winner.

Including a glass each of Gewurztraminer and Malbec, the bill totalled around $70. The food, service and the whole dining experience made me feel it was money well spent and, as always, in a different league to the main dining room food.

Tonight's main show is Apassionata; what terrific entertainment. The dance troupe has a good number of what I can best describe as Cossack-like dancers who are extremely acrobatic and athletic. This show builds in intensity and really is impressive.

QM2APASSIONATAGROUP_zps3706c004.jpg[/url]

QM21APASSIONATA_zps98798168.jpg[/url]

QM2CARTAPASSIONATA_zps777ee6ef.jpg[/url]

QM2COSSACK_zps5fc86712.jpg[/url]

QM2FLYAPASSIONATA_zps013af539.jpg[/url]

The Entertainment Director, Leon de ste. Croix takes a bow with the cast

QM2CDAPASSIONATA_zpsf1dbcdcf.jpg[/url]

Day four to follow…

Day Four

On the next morning I took advantage of the shuttle bus to have a quick look at Le Havre city centre. It came across as rather anonymous; perhaps its true character was lost when it had to be rebuilt after the Second World War. This was my first visit and if it’s my last, I won’t feel deprived…

Plenty of time later to take some more photos of this wonderful vessel. I like her more now than I did in 2004. At that time all the hype meant my expectations had been sky high and she failed to live up to them. Even the wood panelling I originally found so fake has grown on me.

QM2BRITDOWDY_zps9c545ea5.jpg[/url]

Well most of it has; but sorry, not in the Britannia Restaurant, which remains a dowdy venue due to the wood colour and poor lighting that does not create the right ambience.

QM2DOWDYDOUBLE_zpse0c1090a.jpg[/url]

I accept it looks not too bad in this photo. I guess my camera is incapable of capturing the full extent of its dowdiness. You have to see it for yourself because I assure you most of the folk with whom I spoke agreed to varying degrees.

Unless you are amongst the lucky few seated with a view of the beautiful ceiling and the huge hand woven central wall-carpet the general surroundings are much less impressive than many others.

QM2BRITANNIAMAX_zps27f76e76.jpg[/url]

QM2BESTBRITANNIA_zps0730dbaa.jpg[/url]

Best table location…

disappointing that so many poor reviews refer to bad design when in fact the design was necessary to fulfil its main role. Designed primarily to cope well as an ocean liner required to undertake transatlantic crossings year round and in all weather, this is not the best vessel for a sunny Caribbean or Central Mediterranean cruise. However no ship can compare when it comes to poor weather or heavy seas.

Aside from Todd English, three other speciality options are normally offered on an alternating basis, namely Lotus for Asian themed food, La Piazza for Italian and Coriander for Indian. I am slightly surprised it wasn’t called Cilantro as Cunard love to cater primarily to their wealthy American clientele, with dollars being the onboard currency and spirit measures being 1 ½ ounces. Yet they do still manage to fool some people into believing they are a British line.

On most evenings, part of the Kings Court Buffet area is converted and separated off…

QM2KINGSSCREENS_zpsa2abe6b0.jpg[/url]

by movable screens that help to provide a more intimate feel for these “pop-up” venues.

SCREENSCORIANDER2_zps877d211d.jpg[/url]

QM2CORIANDERTABLE_zps0be55766.jpg[/url]

Waiter service is provided and a $10 charge applies for each. On this short cruise only Coriander was offered, probably due to the huge demand amongst Brits for Indian food. This was to be the venue for my final dinner. The food was of a very high standard. Not quite fine dining in the class of the Cinnamon Club or Benares, but a world apart from P&O’s Indian buffet night. Anyone who enjoys Indian food would I am sure agree it was a bargain for what was on offer...

Starters of a mixed platter of Tandoori Chicken, Lasoon Wali Macchi, Sheekh Kebab, Onion Bhaji and Aloo Chana Chaat…

QM2CORIANDERSTARTER_zps0ad20ad5.jpg[/url]

…along with accompanying condiments like chutney etc.

QM2CORIANDERPICKLE_zps7d6865a2.jpg[/url]

Main course was a difficult decision; Lamb Jalfrezi just lost out to Malabar Fish-and-Shrimp Curry with Paratha and Saffron Rice.

QM2MAINSCORIANDER_zpsb01ac388.jpg[/url]

QM2CORIANDERMAIN_zpsfcde911e.jpg[/url]

QM2WAITRESSCORRIANDER_zps7bd42d1e.jpg[/url]

The dessert was very typically Indian being almost excessively sweet: Shahi Tukda - fried bread with pistachio nuts and the flavours of condensed milk, saffron, rose water, and cardamom.

QM2CORIANDERDESSERT_zpsb2aee22b.jpg[/url]

The whole meal was quite delicious and a clear cut above your typical local curry house.