HAL won't honor it's own sale prices!!!!!

Lulley766

[quote name='Lulley766']Dakrewser - I was just wondering....do you have anything nice to say to ANYONE?????[/QUOTE]

Frequently, but I do believe in calling a spade, a spade (and not a "pointed earth mover"). You came here looking for advice and opinions. You got them. Be careful what you wish for.

jhannah: Jim, if you're going to inject [i]logic[/i] into the argument, then a number of folks in this thread will have to drop out!

doublebzz: Inaccurate? I asked for you to show us where anyone had used the term "unethical" in this thread. Or perhaps you don't understand English?

[quote name='dakrewser']
doublebzz: Inaccurate? I asked for you to show us where anyone had used the term "unethical" in this thread. Or perhaps you don't understand English?[/QUOTE]

Ah - You caught me. I was born in Brooklyn so English is my second language.

Quote Another case of misplaced sympathy for the cruise lines. My neighbor down here in Miami, Mickey Arison, owner of Carnival Cruises, didn't accumulate a personal fortune of $20 billion dollars as a result of his altruism. The fact is that cruise lines are cash cows. Yes, its correct to say cruise prices have remained relatively stable over the years. However, the cruise lines make a substantial profit on shipboard purchases and you can't tell me that drinks, tours, transfers, spas and amenities that previously were gratis have not risen substantially over the years.[/QUOTE]

[color=green]Misplaced Sympathy? Sounds to me like someone is piqued that a person can amass a fortune doing it the American Way..Isn't that what our country was built on? I prefer this over Communism..Just my opinion..[/color]

[color=green]Also, please enlighten me as to what Cruise Lines Drinks, Tours, Transfers, Spas, & Amenities were previously gratis over the years..:confused: ..I've been cruising since 1970 & have not travelled on any of those lines which gave all of those FREE things..I've always paid extra for Drinks, Tours, Transfers, Spa's, Hairdressing & Amenities, if I wanted these things..I guess you were fortunate to get them free..Perhaps I didn't have enough money to afford these lines?:([/color]

[font=Times New Roman][color=black][quote name='Lulley766']As far as the cruise lines not increasing their fares, well they shouldn't have to. You would be naive to think that the "government taxes and port fees" that I have paid ($188.66 this cruise) is not partly profit to HAL. I once sailed to [/color][color=black]Bermuda[/color][color=black] many years ago on the Norwegian Majesty. The port fee charges (10 years ago) were $150. Our ship never made it to [/color][color=black]Bermuda[/color][color=black]. We found out later that the [/color][color=black]Port[/color][color=black] of [/color][color=black]Bermuda[/color][color=black] closed to incoming traffic BEFORE WE LEFT BOSTON. Hence, the ship knew we would never get to our only port, but never told us. Many passengers recognized the coastline of [/color][color=black]Massachusetts[/color][color=black] and wondered why we could still see if for three days. We would not have enough time to get to [/color][color=black]Bermuda[/color][color=black] given our location. When the passengers got wind of this little scam they demanded, at minimum, a refund of the $150 pp port fees. We never got it. In fact, we got zippo from NCL. Out of mere curiosity, I called the Government of Bermuda and asked the per person charge of entry into the [/color][color=black]Port[/color][color=black] of [/color][color=black]Bermuda[/color][color=black]. I was told $12. Makes you wonder where the other $138 went doesn't it? Apparently, the Attorney General's office in [/color][color=black]Miami[/color][color=black] filed suit against a lot of the lines a while back for this very same thing. The cruise lines then instituted "government fees and taxes" in addition to the traditional port fees. Granted some of the money will go for that, but I would be skeptical as to just how much. Trust me, the cruise lines fill their pockets first before anything else, so I have no qualms about asking for a refund. Port fees and gov't. taxes are found money for these people.[/QUOTE][/color][/font]
[color=red][font=Times New Roman]Quote Trust me, the cruise lines fill their pockets first before anything else, so I have no qualms about asking for a refund. Port fees and gov't. taxes are found money for these people.[/QUOTE][/font][/color]
[color=#ff0000][/color]
[color=green][font=Times New Roman]This is not a true statement! :( Cruise Lines were overcharging Port Charges up until 1997 however, that is no longer the case.. [/font][/color]
[font=Times New Roman][color=green][/color][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][color=green]On Sept. 9, 1996 a Law Suit was filed in Dade County against Costa & Norwegian Cruise Lines (Case No 96-8076) for overcharging of Port Charges?.. It was changed to a Class Action Law Suit & specifically covered the overcharging of Port Charges for the period 1992 to 1997..On [/color][color=green]Nov. 30, 2004[/color][color=green] the Court held a settlement hearing & approved the settlement of the Class Action Suit..Last year we filled out the required paperwork & two days ago my DH & I received two checks in the mail from NCL for $12.00 (7.50 & 5.00) LOL… for excessive Port Charges.. The attorneys made a bundle on this one.. [/color][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][color=green]Also on [/color][color=green]Nov. 30, 2004[/color][color=green] The Court imposed an injunction against, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, & Royal Carib. which prohibit them from overcharging on Port Charges..[/color][/font]
[color=green][font=Times New Roman][/font][/color]
[color=green][font=Times New Roman]As someone who has been in the Travel Busness for more than 30 years, I will unequivocally state that Cruise Lines (&/or Airlines, Travel Agents) [b][u]never instituted[/u][/b] “government fees & taxes”…Government fees & taxes have always been imposed by the various governments involved…Yes fees have increased, but the increase was imposed by each of the countries you will be visiting..Cruise Lines & Airlines have never overcharged on Govt. Fees & Taxes.. They are constantly audited & carefully watched by the Internal Revenue Service.. [/font][/color]

[color=green][font=Times New Roman]And this is not an opinion..It's a known fact![/font][/color]

[quote name='Lulley766']Okay, so I said I wouldn't post any more, but if I don't I may combust....

To Doublebzz - Thank you for your comments. I would love to tell you what ship I am on, but run the risk of seeing a picture of myself at the boarding gate with a big X thru it and a quote that says, "Do not let this woman on board". Suffice it to say we are sailing within a month, hence my desire to settle this issue.

As far as the cruise lines not increasing their fares, well they shouldn't have to. You would be naive to think that the "government taxes and port fees" that I have paid ($188.66 this cruise) is not partly profit to HAL. I once sailed to Bermuda many years ago on the Norwegian Majesty. The port fee charges (10 years ago) were $150. Our ship never made it to Bermuda. We found out later that the Port of Bermuda closed to incoming traffic BEFORE WE LEFT BOSTON. Hence, the ship knew we would never get to our only port, but never told us. Many passengers recognized the coastline of Massachusetts and wondered why we could still see if for three days. We would not have enough time to get to Bermuda given our location. When the passengers got wind of this little scam they demanded, at minimum, a refund of the $150 pp port fees. We never got it. In fact, we got zippo from NCL. Out of mere curiosity, I called the Government of Bermuda and asked the per person charge of entry into the Port of Bermuda. I was told $12. Makes you wonder where the other $138 went doesn't it? Apparently, the Attorney General's office in Miami filed suit against a lot of the lines a while back for this very same thing. The cruise lines then instituted "government fees and taxes" in addition to the traditional port fees. Granted some of the money will go for that, but I would be skeptical as to just how much. Trust me, the cruise lines fill their pockets first before anything else, so I have no qualms about asking for a refund. Port fees and gov't. taxes are found money for these people.[/QUOTE]
Don't 'port fees' also include what it costs to dock the ship and that is spread amongst all the passengers? I also question the comment on 'found' money for 'these people' - when isn't it for any business? They are in it for just that - correct? Wldn't u be or if not u had better be wealthy? No matter how many ads say 'we do it to serve u, see u smile etc. - that is 'hog wash'! If not in it for the $ their shareholders wld sure be surprised and YES - very upset!! Simple solution - buy shares in the company...! Happy cruisin'!

[quote name='doone']Lulley, if I were as upset as you are about it, I would cancel, there would be no way I would have a good time, so why waste my hard earned money on a cruise I am already upset about.[/QUOTE]

Doone,
It is obvious you have not read the entire thread or don't understand cancellation policies of cruise lines. She can cancel if she wishes, but she would lose at least 50% or more of the total cruise fare. She sails in just a few weeks.
Also I mentioned about new bookings only in the post you made a comment about. Make notes...you'll remember more when making comments.
Speaking of logic...some people don't care. They just like to put their spoon in the pot and stir. Must have nothing better to do.
I guess thats why some people on this thread make over 3800 posts a year.:rolleyes:

[quote name='sail7seas'][font=Comic Sans MS][b][/font]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]It is highly likely this thread has been read by many HAL people. We know they read these boards. /QUOTE]

sail7seas

You make a good point about cruise lines reviewing these boards.

How do you view the possibility that some contributors posing as members are actually cruise line shills that are rewarded accordingly when they refute any criticism of the line???? I know this has occurred on some non-travel boards.

[quote name='doublebzz']How do you view the possibility that some contributors posing as members are actually cruise line shills that are rewarded accordingly when they refute any criticism of the line???? I know this has occurred on some non-travel boards.[/QUOTE]

Not on this board, but the canard does come up frequently.

Still, the arguement in this thread has nothing to do with the cruise line - it's that the OP can't abide by the terms and conditions of an offer. Makes no difference if the offer is from HAL, RCCL, General Motors, General Electric, or General Cinemas!

jessemon: That's good, insulting at least two people (and probably more) in a single post. Might be a new record. Doesn't change the points of the discussion, though, much as you appear to hope they would.

[color=green]Misplaced Sympathy? Sounds to me like someone is piqued that a person can amass a fortune doing it the American Way..Isn't that what our country was built on? I prefer this over Communism..Just my opinion..[/color]

[color=green]Also, please enlighten me as to what Cruise Lines Drinks, Tours, Transfers, Spas, & Amenities were previously gratis over the years..:confused: ..I've been cruising since 1970 & have not travelled on any of those lines which gave all of those FREE things..I've always paid extra for Drinks, Tours, Transfers, Spa's, Hairdressing & Amenities, if I wanted these things..I guess you were fortunate to get them free..Perhaps I didn't have enough money to afford these lines?:([/color][/QUOTE]

Sorry for my imprecise use of English grammar - a fault already noted by another contributor. The specific amenities to which I was referring that used to be gratis were exercise classes (Pilates), use of steam rooms, wine tastings, etc. In the last few years, these have become chargeable services by many cruise lines. Since you have been cruising since 1970, like myself, you can remember drinks and wine selling below U.S. market price - now, they are at the same level as stateside restuarants. My main point is that the cruise companies are very profitable enterprises. As an example, here are some financial stats for Carnival Corp from 2000-2004: Revenue increased from $3.8B to $7.7B; net income increased from $1B to $1.5B and; stock price went from 18 to 53 today. So to make an argument that affording better customer service will severely impact cruise company's profitability is not creditable in my view.

No I'm not piqued at Mickey Arison's wealth, largely inherited from his father, Ted Arison, who is really the epitome of the American dream. If anything, I'm piqued at myself for not buying Carnival stock 5 years ago.

doublebzz, to follow up on some of your statistics on CCL.
The following is a quote from a news release today.

“Your Board of Directors is also pleased to approve a quarterly dividend payable on September 30, 2005. [B]This dividend will be payable at the same level as the prior quarter and continues CCL's record of paying consecutive quarterly dividends for over 20 years without a reduction.[/B] The dividend is $0.10 per Class B non-voting share and $0.0875 per Class A voting share“.

I don’t think this is too shabby for a company that won't honor its sale prices according to some. I cry all the way to the bank every quarter. Only because I have several million shares less than Mr. Arison.

[quote name='doublebzz'][quote name='sail7seas'][font=Comic Sans MS][b][/font][/b]

[b][b][font=Comic Sans MS]It is highly likely this thread has been read by many HAL people. We know they read these boards. /QUOTE][/b]

[b]sail7seas[/b]

[b]You make a good point about cruise lines reviewing these boards.[/b]

[b]How do you view the possibility that some contributors posing as members are actually cruise line shills that are rewarded accordingly when they refute any criticism of the line???? I know this has occurred on some non-travel boards.[/QUOTE][/b]

[b][b][font=Comic Sans MS]I don't think they need to do that. I don't think HAL does it......[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I do not think that what we write in these sort of threads is of such huge signficance to them they would need to 'risk' being caught playing such a silly game.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I think they read the boards casually as 'entertainment' and perhaps to learn what some segment of their passenger base thinks of their cruise experiences.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]It's a free, easy, accessible means to perhaps learn about a common gripe many of us may have; to see what we think of new things they are trying out etc etc etc[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I do not think it is of huge import to anyone.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS](And, if someone here is a Shill, I am not aware of it. But then again, I wouldn't know, would I? They certainly would not be advertising it. And IF there are such things, I WANT THAT JOB!!! I spend so much time here, it would be great to be 'rewarded' for it. :))[/font][/b]

[quote name='jessemon']Doone,
It is obvious you have not read the entire thread or don't understand cancellation policies of cruise lines. She can cancel if she wishes, but she would lose at least 50% or more of the total cruise fare. She sails in just a few weeks.
Also I mentioned about new bookings only in the post you made a comment about. Make notes...you'll remember more when making comments.
Speaking of logic...some people don't care. They just like to put their spoon in the pot and stir. Must have nothing better to do.
I guess thats why some people on this thread make over 3800 posts a year.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Are you familiar with HAL's Insurance? [/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS] I do not know if the OP has that insurance but in the event she does, she can cancel at any time (up to 24 hours before the cruise) for ANY REASON and get most of her money back.[/font][/b]

[font=Times New Roman][color=black]QUOTE Sorry for my imprecise use of English grammar - a fault already noted by another contributor. The specific amenities to which I was referring that used to be gratis were exercise classes (Pilates), use of steam rooms, wine tastings, etc. In the last few years, these have become chargeable services by many cruise lines. Since you have been cruising since 1970, like myself, you can remember drinks and wine selling below [/color][color=black]U.S.[/color][color=black] market price - now, they are at the same level as stateside restuarants. My main point is that the cruise companies are very profitable enterprises. As an example, here are some financial stats for Carnival Corp from 2000-2004: Revenue increased from $3.8B to $7.7B; net income increased from $1B to $1.5B and; stock price went from 18 to 53 today. So to make an argument that affording better customer service will severely impact cruise company's profitability is not creditable in my view.[/color][/font]

[color=black][font=Times New Roman]No I'm not piqued at Mickey Arison's wealth, largely inherited from his father, Ted Arison, who is really the epitome of the American dream. If anything, I'm piqued at myself for not buying Carnival stock 5 years ago.[/QUOTE][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][color=green][color=green]First let me state that, I'm not a shill for HAL, don't work for HAL & have even booked a cruise on a competitor this Nov. (could not pass up a good deal).But I love cruising & want to continure cruising for many years to come..[/color][/color][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][color=green][color=green][/color][/color][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][color=green]Understand your argument & agree with some of your points. Years ago wine tasting & some amenities were free. But not all! You are correct, drink prices were always less than [/color][color=green]U.S.[/color][color=green] Restaurants. However let’s look at some facts.[/color][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][color=green]In 1996 My DH & I paid $1498.00 plus port charges for an outside cabin, on a 7 day NCL Caribbean Cruise. That's $214.00 per day. Also purchased shore excursions & drinks. NCL provided a bus for our group of 30, only after our TA fought for it. NCL originally wanted to charge us for the bus transfer. (Yes, still have our invoice. DH says I'm a string saver ) [/color][/font]

[color=green][font=Times New Roman]If you look at today's prices outside cabins are approx. the same. Our Prinsendam Amazon cruise next April is $212.36 per day plus port charges, taxes & insurance for an outside cabin. Cruise prices [u]have not[/u] [/font][/color][color=green][font=Times New Roman]increased, but there has been a substantial increase in the cost to run a ship.[/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][color=green]Based on today's prices lets explore how Cruise lines will increase their profit margin to satisfy their share holders. First they must fill all of their cabins. How do they do this? Sell those empty cabins at a reduced fare. Of course, many amenities will no longer be free & the cost of drinks, transfers, shore excursions etc. will increase. Have you been to [/color][color=green]Europe[/color][color=green] lately? The cost is triple for food & drinks.[/color][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][color=green]The OP said she called the [/color][color=green]Bermuda[/color][color=green] authorities & asked what the entry fee in a port was per psgr... Wonder how the authorities were able to give her the $12.00 per psgr quote. Entry fee's at airports are completely different than ships port charges. As one poster stated the port charge is the cost of docking the ship. Ship's have different port charges, depending on size, dock hands needed, etc. Agree, she should have been refunded her port charges for the missed port, but don't make a blanket statement that port charges & taxes are cash cow's because of one incident. Years ago some cruise lines did overcharge for port charges but that's no longer the case.[/color][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][color=green]This is a [/color][color=green]Sale[/color][color=green] to fill empty cabins as the Airlines have done for years. We had to fill empty seats & I see nothing wrong with that. If the OP can get an upgrade or on board credit, more power to her, but still don't believe that HAL is obligated to give her anything & don’t consider it Poor Customer Service![/color][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][color=green]Many Travel agents, Airlines & even several Cruise Lines, have gone down the drain because they were giving away the store & not thinking about their bottom line & their shareholders. [/color][/font]
[color=green][/color]
[color=green][font=Times New Roman]Sorry for rambling, enough said! Happy cruising everyone. :) [/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][color=green]Betty[/color][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][color=green]PS: Agree, if we had only invested in Carnival stock years ago, would be able to afford the Owners Suite on the Prinsendam,next April..LOL.. Doublebzz I would never fault your English. After all I was born & raised[u] near[/u] [/color][color=green]Brooklyn[/color][color=green] (on L.I) & my Mom was born in [/color][color=green]Brooklyn[/color][color=green]. Doesn’t that count for something?[/color][/font]

u - as I said to Dakrewser recently - articulate, rational, well informed and, likely best of all, not 'snarky' - love reading your posts! For myself, I don't pay attention or criticize 'imprecise use of Eng grammer' - wld be at it all day on most sites if I did. Happy cruisin'!

[quote name='cruisecrasy']snort - heh heh - thanks - needed a good laugh!![/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]What I wrote really does happen with HAL's insurance. [/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Purchase CPP standard coverage; cancel FOR ANY REASON up to 24 hours before cruise; get 80% refund.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Purchase CPP Platinum coverage; cancel FOR ANY REASON up to 24 hours before cruise; get 90% refund.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I have no idea if Lulley purchased this or any other insurance.[/font][/b]

[color=purple]Thanks for your compliment Cruisecrazy but have to admit that I made an error in my comparisons..Instead of comparing Caribbean cruises I compared our Amazon Cruise which is much more expensive..[/color] :o

[color=#008000]I said Quote In 1996 My DH & I paid $1498.00 plus port charges for an outside cabin, on a 7 day NCL Caribbean Cruise. That's $214.00 per day. Also purchased shore excursions & drinks. NCL provided a bus for our group of 30, only after our TA fought for it. NCL originally wanted to charge us for the bus transfer. (Yes, still have our invoice. DH says I'm a string saver )

[font=Times New Roman]If you look at today's prices outside cabins are approx. the same. Our Prinsendam Amazon cruise next April is $212.36 per day plus port charges, taxes & insurance for an outside cabin. Cruise prices [u]have not[/u] [/font][font=Times New Roman]increased, but there has been a substantial increase in the cost to run a ship. Unquote[/font][/color]

[color=purple]Sorry this is not true..(7 lashes with a wet noodle) ..Just looked at our old invoice again & our 1996 price was for two people & our April 2006 price is per person. on the Prinsendam :o ..mea culpa[/color]

[color=purple]However, Cruise Prices have not increased in proportion to cruise costs..A 7 day Eastern or Western Carribean cruise in 2006 on HAL for an outside cabin starts at $749 per person or $1498 for two which is $214.00 per night...[/color]
[color=#800080][/color]
[color=#800080]Happy cruising everyone:) [/color]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]While it may be true that Caribbean cruise prices have not changed that much, the identical back-to-back Canada/New England Maasdam cruises that we just did in June will cost about $3,000 more next year for the identical cabin that we have occupied many times.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]This is an apples to apples comparison as there is no change in the cruise whatsoever. Boards in Boston; turns around in Montreal and returns to Boston after visiting the exact ports as this year. [/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I also think that some of the European itineraries are more costly for 2006.[/font][/b]

[quote name='dakrewser']Not on this board, but the canard does come up frequently.

Still, the arguement in this thread has nothing to do with the cruise line - it's that the OP can't abide by the terms and conditions of an offer. Makes no difference if the offer is from HAL, RCCL, General Motors, General Electric, or General Cinemas!

jessemon: That's good, insulting at least two people (and probably more) in a single post. Might be a new record. Doesn't change the points of the discussion, though, much as you appear to hope they would.[/QUOTE]

Observation...not insult...

[quote name='sail7seas'][b][font=Comic Sans MS]Are you familiar with HAL's Insurance? [/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I do not know if the OP has that insurance but in the event she does, she can cancel at any time (up to 24 hours before the cruise) for ANY REASON and get most of her money back.[/font][/b]

[/QUOTE]

Yes I am & I don't work on the premise or I don't knows.

Check this out on the RCI board. Same issue. [b]"Dropped Price RC says tough luck"[/b]

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=211040"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=211040[/url]

[quote name='gizmo']Check this out on the RCI board. Same issue. [b]"Dropped Price RC says tough luck"[/b]

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=211040"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=211040[/url][/QUOTE]

[color=purple]That is Funny!:) The Cruise Lines seem to be feeling the pinch of increased costs & are having "Happy Hour" Sales to fill empty cabins..Can't blame them at all..[/color]

[color=purple]One of the posters asked if you bought an item for $1000 & saw it on sale the following week for $800 wouldn't you be upset...Sure would be upset, but those are the breaks..My brand new PC went down a week after we purchased it..Probably could have taken it back by paying a 15% restocking fee ..It also took two days to set it up..It wasn't worth it, so I kept it..[/color]

[color=purple]Happy cruising everyone![/color]

Archived