First time with a 4 year old!

mariakoz

Hello, I'm going on the Breakaway on Jan 5th for 12 whole days with a very active 4 year old boy. I am a little scared at this point that it will be very stressful and that it will not be a vacation for us. IT's just my husband and I.

I want to hear from other mommies with these problems that like to travel with toddlers and how they survived a long cruise.

I want to register for the Camp, he goes to day care full time at home so I don't think it will be too hard for him to get used to the camp. I will get him in there slowly, maybe start on the 2nd day for 30min-1 hour and then go from there.

Also, on the tv, do they have cartoons like the mickey mouse club, etc?

How are the little ones with the ship's motion? He's never been on a boat so I don't know if he will be sea sick. Out cabin is 9th floor, in the middle of the ship with a balcony. Do you recommend anything for them for sea sickness?

I have so many questions for my first time, this is just a few. Thank you for your time!

Well, I'm not qualified as a "mommy" but I do have a four year old who we've brought on three cruises now at various ages. We also have two older sisters too, so we've experienced a lot of cruising with young girls. Now let me say first that girls are very different in energy level than boys. But overall, we've always had a great time and no negative experiences.

Here are some tips...

Bring him with you on embarkation evening to Splash Academy. They let them look around and you can ask questions. If he is used to preschool then he'll adjust easily. They have amazing things to do the whole time, including face painting, all kinds of crafts and a kids talent show for everyone on the last sea day.

If on the Breakaway, there are Nickleodeon characters to dance with, including Dora and Patrick, Spongebob, etc. they also do balloon making after the dancing.

They do have Nickleodeon channel on the TVs in your room.

They usually have a pirate parade, and treasure hunt sometime. Cupcake decorating or pizza making.

If the child is not potty trained, you get a beeper of some kind to come and "take care of business."

Mealtime can be a challenge depending on how quiet they can be in a restaurant. The service can be slow, so ask them to bring things quicker and see if that works, and they can bring things to snack on and keep him occupied. If you don't want to do a restaurant, the buffet is a good option as it's much less formal. And he can try lots of things. O'Sheehans on deck 8 is also a family themed relaxed bar and grill with comfort food which is a good kid friendly place.

We have never really had many issues with sea sickness, but it varies greatly from kid to kid. We saw a lot of people wearing sticky dots behind their ears on our Nov trip on the breakaway, but we never used anything and we had no problems. The large ships have stabilizers to even out the swell.

There is a nice Spongebob themed kids pool which is heated. Mini golf. The spider mountain and bungee he might be too young for. My four yo did do, repeatedly, the smaller water slides which are a great distraction.

If your room has bunk beds, can be fun for the kids, but a worry for parents at night. If so, you can have the couch made up into a bed.

Try to get him used to Splash Academy early on, as most kids have a great time there, even if for just an hour or two per day to give you some fun time. Well worth it, especially at night. Let them get tired before bed...

If I can answer any other questions, let me know. Hope this is useful.

Edited by limeyalchemist

We have a 4 yo son who will be going on his 3rd cruise in a few weeks. He was too young to be left before, but toured the "kid zone" a few times. He goes to daycare full-time so he is used to being entertained by non-family. We have been talking about the fun activities and things he will be doing to help prepare him. I think kids are less prone to motion sickness than adults. He laughs when I get queasy on the merry-go-round. If your whole family gets sick, then you may want to talk to the pediatrician about remedies for him. Have a great trip!

You will be fine.....I mean, you take care of him at home, right? It shouldn't be any more stressful than at home....especially since you won't have your everyday errands and chores to deal with! If your child enjoys the club, that will give you a nice break now and again!

Young kids seem to take the motion of the ocean better than adults...but your pediatrician is the one to ask about any medications, just in case!

Don't worry...your family will have a blast!