Texting on ship

vdarrell

It doesn't matter if you have unlimited, you are on cellular at sea and that is not covered under normal plans. You will be charged for each outgoing text message, your inbound text messages will still be free.

Please please check out Verizon's travel abroad Q&A to know exactly what is covered. Sometimes they will not cover anything out of the US.

I have unlimited but for every text I sent when I was anywhere other than Key West I was billed for, I think it was $.50 a text for international and if you send a text with a picture/video it will cost more plus the data fee.

I was wondering if texting on the ship is good I now cell phone service is tricky we have unlimited Verizon texting

Unless you have an international roaming plan texting could expensive on board. I would wait until your in port and then do your texting . Make sure of where your texting plan good for . Many Caribbean Islands are considered as foreign countries just like on board.Check with your cell provider for exact limits on your plan . Don't forget to mention you'll be on a cruise ship and where you'll be cruising.

Edited by Kamloops50

I would just double check with Verizon, but if I am not mistaken, I believe it was like .50 to send and maybe .15 to receive texts. You just need to be super careful how you use your cell phone. I have read horror stories about people coming home to bills over 1K.:eek::eek:

I usually never use my phone on the ship for anything but photos.

In fact, I turn off the data so I dont pay the ship rates.

If I have to make a call to the states, I call from the cabin phone.

I think its about $2 bucks a min. Not bad for being in the middle of the ocean.

I usually never use my phone on the ship for anything but photos.

In fact, I turn off the data so I dont pay the ship rates.

If I have to make a call to the states, I call from the cabin phone.

I think its about $2 bucks a min. Not bad for being in the middle of the ocean.

Yep that is what I did too...now on my phone I was able to pick and choose what to turn on/off so I turned off all data but left my cell on and blocked all but calls from family numbers. I got free incoming text messages on my plan when international so I left those on as well.

It was usually easier and less to use the phone in the cabin, and then I did buy a data plan onboard and was able to facetime the kids a couple nights when the internet wasn't crappy.