Cruising with a 20 month old

tggs726

Hey all,

This is actually my first time visiting the Disney boards! My wife and I just returned from Disney World and had a fabulous time. I am in my early 30's and she is in her late 20's. We have a 9 month old daughter who we didnt bring to Disney with us as we felt she was just too young to get anything out of it. I was hoping to start a tradition of going to Disney each year around Christmas time but thinking forward to next year I think our daughter will still be a little young for our liking to bring her to the parks. However, I thought a Disney cruise might be an option. Can any of you who have sailed on Disney with a 1-2 year old give me some insight on your experiences? How were the baby sitting services and did you have any time to relax?

Thanks!

-Matt

The nursery services are great. They do charge (currently $6 per hour for the first child in a cabin). They try to be very flexible with you in terms of changing booked times, etc.

You can also take the child to the Oceaneer's Club during open house hours (you stay and supervise). A fun place to play.

Reality is that cruising with a child this age is really for you--the child is too young to get anything out of it beyond the photos. (yes, I can feel the flames now). DCL makes cruising with a toddler as easy as possible--diaper genie in your cabin emptied twice daily, pack and play crib set up and take down per your orders. One thing--if you cruise with a child who is still taking naps, I personally consider a verandah a must. You can chill on your balcony while the child sleeps.

Hi,

We traveled with dd at 14 months, the week before Christmas, and again this year at 26 months, the week before Christmas, 6 and 7 night cruises.

We don't use the nursery. The staff was impressive, playful and nice, but it's not our thing. It's family vacation, time for daddy to spend with dd and time for us to spent together. We did go there for open house hours, my kid was crying cause we had to leave, the other were crying cause they were being left, lol (day 1). After that most kids had no issues going, and all seemed happy.

DD enjoyed the splash pad (magic and wonder) both years, the mickey pool this year (fully pt'd at 19 months-no swim diapers allowed).

We have plenty of time to relax! I suggest a balcony, but that's because I love them. This year, I put dd down for a nap in the 'princess bed' and dh would nap or play on the tablet while I explored, got coffee, looked at pictures, did whatever.

We go to MDR nightly for dinner, but only made the show the last night and that's because we rushed dinner and skipped dessert (they have two shows, but 830 is too late for our kid to be out like that). We tag team dinner, taking turns taking her during the waiting period, this is often when we'd do pictures!

Last year we had a diaper genie, this year we had a baby bojone (?) potty seat (LOVE IT-we even bought one for home now).

DD had a blast both years, while the first year she didn't remember anything, this year she's still talking about it (Go on my cruise ship mommy! or Daddy, another cruise peas!). She had a blast meeting the characters (we taught her who they were!)

They have toddler time and wake up with disney jr. Toddler time on the wonder was in the nursery. Wake up with Disney Jr. is singing/dancing. It's 9am or so on sea days only.

The open house hours were decent, but we rarely made them.

We do room service nightly-cheese and crackers plate, two mickey bars, whole milk, chocolate milk, warm cookies is standard, 2 nights I got the mac and cheese (my kid ate more than I did!). Dh and I take turns 'hiding' to eat the mickey bars and cookies (No, my 2 year old didn't get a mickey bar or cookie before bed). DD loved the different cheeses, her night time snack, and cow milk.

I suggest ordering some cereal and keeping a banana on hand for a 'need a snack NOW' moments and cereal is great to bring to ports for a snack.

The first year, I had LOTS of time to myself-I just didn't know how to relax, that's on me. I had time to go to quiet cove, order a coffee, read. I'd put dd to bed, dh would go watch a movie or whatever, I'd chill on the balcony with my Mickey bar. It was great.

This year, I had a 2 year old who felt rejected by me, so I didn't have as much time without her. But I did get to go see Frozen in 3d! Dh didn't get to see Thor since it wasn't playing the last two days, but he had the time.

We tag team dinner. and order fast. First year dh would take dd after dinner while I enjoyed dessert and coffee. so great. That only worked on the first night this year. On formal night (second night for us), we let dd have ice cream, thus she knew what was going on...opps.

We didn't use a pnp (dd never slept in one). We did use the 'princess bed' with a rail, though, I'll be honest the first year and this year dd just ended up in the bed with us.

I'm not brave enough to do the parks with a toddler/small child, too much work and planning and that really doesn't sound like fun to. The cruise was perfect! you can do or not whatever. You're room is right there if you need down time.

I suggest heading back to get ready for dinner early, let the little one just play or give quiet time. dd slept more and ate more on both cruises, though she was a bit more picky this year (she wasn't impressed with the food, we don't do 'kid' foods).

-that's really long, sorry.