First Cruise with Scooter

sabookkeeper

I will be on the Reflection cruising out of Miami on February 1st. I am bringing my Tzora scooter for the first time and this is also my first time cruising out of Miami. I am hoping some of you will be able to answer my questions. I can walk short distances, but cannot stand for long or walk long distances.

1. Has anyone ever left their folding scooter with the baggage and have it delivered to their cabin? Is there a chance of it being damaged?

2. What is the set up like at Miami. If I check my scooter, is there somewhere I can sit until DH gets to the counter and then I can join him?

3. If I keep my scooter to board, will I have trouble with the ramps?

4. Do I have to let Celebrity know if I decide to board on my scooter?

Darlene

I will be on the Reflection cruising out of Miami on February 1st. I am bringing my Tzora scooter for the first time and this is also my first time cruising out of Miami. I am hoping some of you will be able to answer my questions. I can walk short distances, but cannot stand for long or walk long distances.

1. Has anyone ever left their folding scooter with the baggage and have it delivered to their cabin? Is there a chance of it being damaged?

2. What is the set up like at Miami. If I check my scooter, is there somewhere I can sit until DH gets to the counter and then I can join him?

3. If I keep my scooter to board, will I have trouble with the ramps?

4. Do I have to let Celebrity know if I decide to board on my scooter?

Darlene

Personally would never check the scooter with the baggage as you risk the chance of it being damaged or worse it never making it onto the ship. Even though the Tzora folds it's not impervious to being damaged by the long shore men. Have you ever seen how the luggage is thrown into the loading containers ?

It's always best to ride the scooter on board regardless of the type of scooter. There will be cruise staff available to assist you getting up the ramp if needed.

The benefits of riding the scooter onto the ship are:

• you know that the scooter actually made it on board and not have to worry if it missed the ship or arrived on board damaged.
  • don't have to worry about finding a seat during the check-in process.
  • don't have to wait your turn for wheelchair assistance to board the ship.
  • since the luggage can arrive late into the evening you'll already have the scooter so you can start enjoying your cruise.

As far as letting Celebrity know about the scooter if you have an accessible cabin than Celebrity or your TA should have provided you with a Special Needs Form to be completed. However if you do not have an accessible cabin it would still be a good idea ( but not necessary ) to complete the form. Here's the link for the form :

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/onboard/specialNeedsForm.do

It's also important to note that the scooter cannot be left out in the hallway. It must be stored in your cabin. Here's the link with all information : http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_special_needs&cS=Footer&ICID=Cel_10Q4_web_hp_ftr_accessibility#onboard_mobility_disabilities_tab

Hope this information helps

Edited by xxoocruiser

I second the view from XXO.

I once boarded using the electric wheels for my chair. The (expensive) manual wheels went with the baggage, very extensively marked up as being fragile. They arrived at the cabin unusable, obviously after having had half a deck's worth of luggage piled on top. Maybe Miami is better, but I wouldn't risk it.

Never had a problem stowing my chair on a plane though.

XXOO: We do not have an accessible cabin because I can move around on my own and I am sure there are others that will need it more than I do. I am aware that the scooter will have to be kept in the cabin, but when it is folded it does not take up much room.

Chunky 2219: After XXOO's response I was going to use my scooter to board and your illustration confirmed that this is what I should do.

Thank you for your quick responses.

Thanks for your feedback.

Will you be able to charge your scooter while it is folded? One of the problems with having a scooter in a regular cabin is that often you cannot maneuver it close enough to the electrical outlet in order to charge it. Depends on the ship. Outlets in the ships hallways are almost always 220 volts now. There are many variables to be taken I to account when determining whether you need an accessable cabin, not just whether you can get around without help.

Now that I see that you are on the Reflection, if your bed is by the balcony you should be OK. If your bed is by the door, you can lift the folded scooter over the bed and then open it up in the area between the couch and the desk and charge it. You might ask the Ttendant to take your coffee table out of the room, otherwise it will be almost impossible to open the scooter. The coffee table is very very heavy.

I haven't ridden Celebrity, but when I go on Royal Caribbean out of Miami, there's an escalator that cruisers have to go up, after checking in, to get to the gangplank.

Obviously you couldn't ride your scooter up the escalator, but maybe you could fold and carry it up. Also, there must've been an elevator somewhere around there, because otherwise how would wheelchair folks get to the ship?

I haven't ridden Celebrity, but when I go on Royal Caribbean out of Miami, there's an escalator that cruisers have to go up, after checking in, to get to the gangplank.

Obviously you couldn't ride your scooter up the escalator, but maybe you could fold and carry it up. Also, there must've been an elevator somewhere around there, because otherwise how would wheelchair folks get to the ship?

OP does not have to ride the escalator careering a fold edscooter. The Miami Cruise Terminal is fully equipped with an elevator . Additionally depending on the cruise ship sometime wheelchair/scooter passengers board the at ground level through a service entrance.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Will you be able to charge your scooter while it is folded? One of the problems with having a scooter in a regular cabin is that often you cannot maneuver it close enough to the electrical outlet in order to charge it. Depends on the ship. Outlets in the ships hallways are almost always 220 volts now. There are many variables to be taken I to account when determining whether you need an accessable cabin, not just whether you can get around without help.

The battery comes off the scooter when it is folded up so I can sit it on the desk to charge it.

OP does not have to ride the escalator careering a fold edscooter. The Miami Cruise Terminal is fully equipped with an elevator . Additionally depending on the cruise ship sometime wheelchair/scooter passengers board the at ground level through a service entrance.

I am glad to hear that the Miami terminal has an elevator. I assume I should let Celebrity know in advance that I will be arriving on a scooter so that I have access to the elevator?

I am glad to hear that the Miami terminal has an elevator. I assume I should let Celebrity know in advance that I will be arriving on a scooter so that I have access to the elevator?

No need to contact Celebrity in advance. Once boarding has begun you will automatically directed to the elevator Celebrity's pier staff.

The battery comes off the scooter when it is folded up so I can sit it on the desk to charge it.

I just assumed that most scooters were like mine and could be charged that way too. :) I can charge mine from both the handle or the battery itself. For normal every day usage we only bring the battery inside for charging and leave the scooter in the trunk. We just grab the battery and take it with us when we're going to be walking long distances (like the mall, zoo, etc.)

Perfect. I have traveled on the Solstice and Silhouette, both times with a Rollator. I kept it folded in the room, but many times when I went out the room attendant moved the rollator into the hallway and left it there.

We recently cruised on the Reflection and had an outside Handicapped Cabin on the main deck. It was one of the most convenient handicapped cabins we ever had. The cabin and bathroom are huge. My DH uses a mobility scooter and it is no problem getting around the ship or even out onto any of the decks. The ramps are easy to maneuver. There is no problem bringing the scooter into the cabin, plenty of turn around space. No problem at Miami terminal either. They are eager to help, and there is always someone nearby. Elevator is easy to access. Have a great cruise, the Reflection is a beautiful ship.

etcruiser43

We recently cruised on the Reflection and had an outside Handicapped Cabin on the main deck. It was one of the most convenient handicapped cabins we ever had. The cabin and bathroom are huge. My DH uses a mobility scooter and it is no problem getting around the ship or even out onto any of the decks. The ramps are easy to maneuver. There is no problem bringing the scooter into the cabin, plenty of turn around space. No problem at Miami terminal either. They are eager to help, and there is always someone nearby. Elevator is easy to access. Have a great cruise, the Reflection is a beautiful ship.

etcruiser43

Thanks for the info! I am probably worrying over nothing, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't like surprises and wants to have everything planned ahead of time.