Balcony to Inside

tlw440

Has anyone booked balconies for several cruises and then gone to inside? We have never done a inside, only oceanview and balcony. :confused::D

I have sailed in everything from balcony, deluxe balcony to oceanview to insides

I have been on many different decks, mid ship, fore and aft

I mostly don't care...didn't really enjoy being very far forward as it was noisy on Conquest but ok. Insides don't bother me - it is all good

On Carnival I would totally go with an inside or ocean view unless you are a smoker....as of January Royal stopped all balcony smoking and some of them will join the puffers on the Carnival balconies

Your chance of getting smoked out on a Carnival balcony is just gotten higher I think

One thing I have noticed about Carnival with my own friends - their cruise "satisfaction" is higher IF they do not splurge on the cabin,as all the cabins are pretty big and pretty much the same. A guy who booked a solo suite (what a waste IMHO) had a lot of complaints on Freedom, gals with solo balcony on both Destiny, Glory etc have complained

Once you get down to the best deal on an inside shared LOL>> it's all good

Has anyone booked balconies for several cruises and then gone to inside? We have never done a inside, only oceanview and balcony. :confused::D

Inside its like a 2 for 1 . We get to cruise more and we dont spend alot of time in the room.

Inside its like a 2 for 1 . We get to cruise more and we dont spend alot of time in the room.

This is so true but a balcony is nice sometimes. We went on a family cruise a few yrs ago and I booked 3 balcony rooms. Both my brother and sister said after the cruise they loved the cruise but would have been just as happy not spending the money for the balcony since they were never in their room anyway. Most people spend so little time in the room it really isn't worth the extra. I remember about 5 years ago balconies were the first cabins to sell out on a cruise, but it seems like the insides, then oceanviews, then balconies sell out now in that order. I think most people use it to sleep and shower and don't spend much time in their cabin beyond that.

It really depends on an individual's personality and preferences whether an inside will be bothersome or not. Of course, the only way to know for sure would be to try one.

My husband and I book either insides or balconies. Our decision is completely dependent on pricing - we happily go from one to the other. We have a max price we're willing to pay for each; although, we do look at balcony pricing first. If the balcony is a good deal, that's what we book. If not and the interior pricing is within our requirements, then we book that. If neither are in our comfort zone, we just don't book. We do have work and family responsibilities that somewhat limit our vacation-taking ability. Saving some money by booking an inside over a balcony wouldn't result in being able to take more cruises/year, so that doesn't factor into our equation at all.

Neither of us are "people" people, so we do spend a lot of time in our cabin enjoying the peace and quiet and the time alone together. If we rarely spent time in our cabin, however, we would always choose an inside because it wouldn't make sense to pay more for something we wouldn't use (IMHO).

Insides are no problem for us for a number of reasons: Neither of us is claustrophobic. We do not have a need to be awakened by natural light because we wake up early regardless. (A wake-up call could easily prevent sleeping the day away in a pitch black room if that were a concern, though.) We don't mind walking a bit to get to an open deck for fresh air (and we get plenty of fresh air putting in our 5 miles on the walking track at sunrise every morning anyway). Our "schedules" are similar so neither of us needs to have a place to retreat so as not to disturb the other while sleeping. We do usually take naps during the day, and the pitch black of an inside is nice for napping. I do see how an inside could be a problem for someone with personalities different than ours, though.

On the other hand, we choose balconies over insides (as long as our pricing requirements are met) for a couple of reasons. I love to watch the water. In a balcony, I don't have to find a quiet, sparsely populated place on the ship to accomplish that like I do when we have an inside. Naps are also nicely augmented by the sound of the ocean - we love drifting off to the sight/sound of the water. The balcony rooms we have booked have always been a bit larger and have included a sofa rather than the standard single chair of an inside. It is nice to have the extra seating. The pros of a balcony are not, however, make or break for us - just a little more conducive to our enjoyment of the cabin and cruise based on our personalities and lifestyle.

We never book oceanview cabins. We simply do not like them. If we can't actually access the fresh air and sunlight/moonlight (via a balcony), then we'd rather have the pitch dark of an inside.

We always had a balcony or extended balcony but on a HAL cruise we were in an inside cabin. The cabin was nice with plenty of space, but I missed the balcony. For our upcoming cruise, we have a balcony - the rate would have to be almost free to get me to try an inside again.