Port of Galveston

sg4crzn

We just returned home off the Magic. So sad. I thought this port was very simple. It was different than the warm ports of Florida. We flew down the day before and booked a package through LaQuinta that included pick up from airport, room, transfer to ship and a transfer back to Houston Hobby. This was great. Very nice staff, clean room, and they also have a bus at 6pm that provides transportation to a number of restaurants with no charge. The transfer vans were a little wore out and hopefully they will fix them or replace them.

We just returned home off the Magic. So sad. I thought this port was very simple. It was different than the warm ports of Florida. We flew down the day before and booked a package through LaQuinta that included pick up from airport, room, transfer to ship and a transfer back to Houston Hobby. This was great. Very nice staff, clean room, and they also have a bus at 6pm that provides transportation to a number of restaurants with no charge. The transfer vans were a little wore out and hopefully they will fix them or replace them.

We have never sailed from there and your detailed information helps.

We are sailing on the RCCL Navigator and I am assuming it may leave from the same pier area as your Magic did?

If so, can you give me an idea of the cost for your package with LaQuinta?

Thanks for any help.

Alexis

Edited by Alexis

Yes it was same area and we had passengers for that ship. We paid 222 for 5 in a suite but I think we were only supposed to have 4. It was 2 adults and 3 small sized children. It it the Stay and Cruise package at the Houston Hobby airport La Quinta. We flew into Houston Hobby

Yes it was same area and we had passengers for that ship. We paid 222 for 5 in a suite but I think we were only supposed to have 4. It was 2 adults and 3 small sized children. It it the Stay and Cruise package at the Houston Hobby airport La Quinta. We flew into Houston Hobby

Thank you for the information.

I do not sail until November but I am an early planner who likes to make

sure all arrangements are done well in advance. You have helped me a lot.

Thanks again, ;)

Alexis

Hello!

It has been very difficult finding reports of how well this package worked. I made a reservation at this hotel for our April cruise. Did you like the hotel? What time did the shuttle take you to the ship and when did you arrive at the ship? What time is the pickup from the ship?

I am so glad I found your post.

Paul

I thought our room was very nice and clean. There is a pool and hot tub. The typical waffle/cereal/scrambled egg breakfast with juice and coffee. The transfer leaves at 10 and it's about 40 min to ship. They let you choose a 9 or 11 pick up time for return back to airport. I am a early planner and a be there first person and I was very pleased.

I thought our room was very nice and clean. There is a pool and hot tub. The typical waffle/cereal/scrambled egg breakfast with juice and coffee. The transfer leaves at 10 and it's about 40 min to ship. They let you choose a 9 or 11 pick up time for return back to airport. I am a early planner and a be there first person and I was very pleased.

Thank you so much for the quick response. This puts my mind at ease a bit.

Paul

We have never sailed from there and your detailed information helps.

We are sailing on the RCCL Navigator and I am assuming it may leave from the same pier area as your Magic did?

If so, can you give me an idea of the cost for your package with LaQuinta?

Thanks for any help.

Alexis

We are sailing on the Navigator the week of Nov 2nd too. I think I saw your name on the Roll Call.

We've cruise out of Galveston many times and never had a big major problem but once. A ship coming in before us had a Norovirus problem, yes, we were delayed by several hours. But we took it all in stride, struck up a conversation with the people sitting next to us and read for a while. By then we realized that our time went by fairly quickly.

But as a season cruiser I am sure you have seen this and done that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad I stumbled on this! I've been struggling to figure out the most economical way for us to get from Hobby to Galveston, plus we need a room for the night. I had planned to stay in Galveston the night before we cruise, but it doesn't make a difference really. This looks like a great option. Thanks!

I just booked it for April 20.

It is $179 (plus tax, ends up around $210), for the one night's stay, breakfast the next morning (looks like a continental breakfast, which my husband won't like but my daughter will!), and then transport to and from he Galveston port. Not a bad deal....

Edited by J_Viggy
clarification

I'm thinking of driving down to Galveston. Is there parking at the port? If so, any idea of cost?

We "always" park at the EZCruise Parking Lot. There is usually a special that costs $45 for a week. They have free shuttles to and from the cruise ports (Carnival and Royal Caribbean) but we have seen people walking back and forth. While the area is safe I don't think I would want to walk it.

What is nice is that if you are the only one ready to take the shuttle and there is no one else ready to get on it, the shuttle will take you to the port and not wait until it is full.

And the people loading/off loading your luggage on the shuttle and driving the shuttles are retired and work strictly for tips. So tipping a dollar or three is greatly appreciated. http://ezcruiseparking.com/

Another thing. The parking lot is secured. Once the ship leaves the lot is locked. And, you keep your keys so you don't have to be afraid that someone from the lot will take your car for a joy ride.

I'm thinking of driving down to Galveston. Is there parking at the port? If so, any idea of cost?

We have used park n cruise for our two trips out of Galveston. Right across the street. There is secured inside or outside parking. We park and walk across then coming home we self disembark and are on the road around 8:30 to 9am.

Edited by Whoop98

• 2 weeks later...
We are sailing on the Navigator the week of Nov 2nd too. I think I saw your name on the Roll Call.

We've cruise out of Galveston many times and never had a big major problem but once. A ship coming in before us had a Norovirus problem, yes, we were delayed by several hours. But we took it all in stride, struck up a conversation with the people sitting next to us and read for a while. By then we realized that our time went by fairly quickly.

But as a season cruiser I am sure you have seen this and done that.

Yes, that is me. We are also doing the November 9 sailing on Navigator. If I am going to pack at my age, I am making sure I get a long cruise. :D

You are right about our having been in many different "ups and downs"

on cruise ships in our many years. But, we roll with the waves. There is only one ship of all we have done, that we will never sail again.

First time there and I am a newbie with this port. :o I need help with this:

Would anyone know the prices of a shuttle or cab from Hobby airport to the Galveston Seawall West TX La Quinta Inn?

Thanks for any help I get. ;)

Alexis

Yes, that is me. We are also doing the November 9 sailing on Navigator. If I am going to pack at my age, I am making sure I get a long cruise. :D

You are right about our having been in many different "ups and downs"

on cruise ships in our many years. But, we roll with the waves. There is only one ship of all we have done, that we will never sail again.

First time there and I am a newbie with this port. :o I need help with this:

Would anyone know the prices of a shuttle or cab from Hobby airport to the Galveston Seawall West TX La Quinta Inn?

Thanks for any help I get. ;)

Alexis

We are on the 9th sailing as well. If you weren't already aware, there is a very large annual bike rally in town that weekend (last year attendance was 400k). Most everything on the seawall is booked solid and the little availability I found was over $250 a night. A friend that's going with us has a friend that's local and they said to plan on it taking an hour to get from one side of the island to the other. .... something to definitely keep in mind when it comes to cab fare as well as getting into restaurants, etc on the island

We always stay on the seawall but this time we are staying 12 miles north in Texas City. Driving in on sunday should be easier since the traffic should be going the opposite direction and well be on the right side of the island.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

If anyone reads my above post and is flying into Hobby airport Galveston Texas and cruising from there before I do in November, could you post on here how it is getting cabs or shuttles from the airport to where the ships leave from?

Our Seawall La Quinta Inn is located now far from the piers in the same area.

Cost for two would help me plan also.

Thanks for any info.

Alexis

We are on the 9th sailing as well. If you weren't already aware, there is a very large annual bike rally in town that weekend (last year attendance was 400k). Most everything on the seawall is booked solid and the little availability I found was over $250 a night. A friend that's going with us has a friend that's local and they said to plan on it taking an hour to get from one side of the island to the other. .... something to definitely keep in mind when it comes to cab fare as well as getting into restaurants, etc on the island

We always stay on the seawall but this time we are staying 12 miles north in Texas City. Driving in on sunday should be easier since the traffic should be going the opposite direction and well be on the right side of the island.

We are on the 2nd and the 9th sailings. I only need the hotel for the first sailing. I am glad I do not need it for the 9th. :eek:

I just posted a message below yours asking for more help. I booked mine yesterday at the Seawall for Oct. 31 there until Nov. 2 and I am not paying anything in that price range for our room. Balcony room, etc. I was very pleased.

Two nights cost less then what you posted.

Then a tiny more for extra fees. But, we are seniors and do get AARP discounts.

Sounds like I might stay on the ship on turn around day too. :D

Ah, gotcha! Oh yes, normal rates are nowhere near what I posted. They have jacked them to Jesus for that weekend. I about fell out of my chair when Comfort Inn said $309....uh no! We live in the DFW area so we drive but there's lots of threads in the forum here about transport. Hopefully someone will chime in with some help. Happy sailing!

If anyone reads my above post and is flying into Hobby airport Galveston Texas and cruising from there before I do in November, could you post on here how it is getting cabs or shuttles from the airport to where the ships leave from?

Our Seawall La Quinta Inn is located now far from the piers in the same area.

Cost for two would help me plan also.

Thanks for any info.

Alexis

Seawall west la Quinta for 3 to the pier usually runs about 20 bucks with yellow cab. They do run a shuttle but we have found the wait to be long and it's a small shuttle they share with holiday inn express next door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk