Afternoon Snorkeling @ Antilla Wreck

CDNJehn

I've been reading up on the snorkeling at this wreck site. Some people say that visibility is limited and that it is best for scuba divers...not great for snorkelers. I also read that sometimes the visibility can be especially poor in the afternoon. Does anyone have experience?

We have snorkeled in several spots including Mexico, Grand Cayman, The Bahamas, Cuba, Belize and Honduras. Will we find the Aruba snorkeling sites underwhelming in com parison?

We only have limited daylight in Aruba (arriving @ 1pm) so I don't want to waste the 'day' on a snorkel tour that we'll regret taking. My other option was a beach afternoon and snorkeling from shore (we have our own equipment).

We did this tour on our first cruise in the mid 90's so I don't have any digital pics to post. The ship sits in about 95 feet of water and a few feet extends up out of the waves. I think the wreck is then about 200 feet long. We could see the bottom and the fish were numerous. The beach didn't seem that far away but you probably couldn't swim to it.

However, the afternoons can have less visibility so it will be a gamble. Our 14 y/o son wants to see this wreck so I am chancing it. Kinda the one thing that set Aruba apart for us from the other islands as it does involve WW2 history. FYI, after 20 30 minutes it is time to move on. You can only see so much. Guides told us after the tour that a 400 lb Grouper lives in the wreck but they don't want people swiming down to look for it. Not sure if thats true.

Not happy that our ship gets in so late so we are in the same boat. No pun intended. Again I think its worth the risk. I think that Jolly Pirate (?) tour is our best bet for that port.

We have Snorkled Mexico (both sides), Grand Cayman, Curacau, St. Thomas, Grenada, Barbados, Hawaii, Tortola and Antigua. Curacau and Hawaii were the best , Mexico the worst. Aruba and Grenade are tied for second. My opinion of course.

That's great info Tom, I think you've convinced us to stay onboard with this tour...pun intended. ;). We do love wrecks and new reefs, so having exhausted the snorkeling in the Western Caribbean this might be a nice change. And thanks for the comparison to the spots you've been. That's helpful. This is our first trip to Aruba, and while I'd like to see some sights, I feel like it's somewhere we'd go back to, so lots of time for that. Our 4 days at sea also help justify my NOT lying on a beach all afternoon, because I've got plenty of time for sun.

Edited by CDNJehn