Question about the Noordam

eastexascruiser

We are looking to book a cruise on the Noordam and have a few questions about the rooms. A few years a ago we sailed the Veendam and our room was on the Lower Promenade deck which was open to walk around.

I can't tell from the pictures whether the Upper Promenade on the Noordam is open to all or is it restricted to those with cabins in that area?

We had an obstructed outside room but we could go right out the door and be on the deck. I was trying to find a similar room on the Noordam. We don't spend a lot of time in the room so I don't really need a balcony; we for certain do not want inside because we enjoy natural light; but we like quick easy access to an outside deck.

Any suggestions on what might best suit our needs? Thank you for your expert advice!!:)

Every HAL ship has a full wrap around Promenade Deck and Noordam does as well.

A few HAL ships (not Noordam) has what they call Lanai cabins on that deck. They are outside cabins on Promenade Deck and have sliding doors at rear of their cabin that opens to the deck. It is a compromise between having no access to outside from your cabin and having a cabin with a verandah. Those lanai cabins have two reserved deck chairs for their use, however, the whole walking deck is available for everyone's use.

Edited by sail7seas

Does the UPPER PROMENADE level on the Noordam have a complete walk around deck? Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, teak, and I really like it. Farther around than the Veendam, 3 laps/mile? It's supposed to be for walking only (no running). Someone will correct me if I got that wrong. If you don't want a balcony, check out the outside rooms. We really like them on the Noordam. If you want to step up to the window, you can have the beds configured to be on each side of the window, with the dressers in the middle, instead of the bed put together directly in front of the window.

Correction: it's the Promenade deck. You can see it on the HAL website under deck plans.

Edited by PatsyAnne
correct deck

Yes, I see the Promenade Deck is completely walkaround, but what about the UPPER PROMENADE deck? Can you walk all the way around on this level? On the deck plan website, it doesn't look to be a complete wrap around, but I wanted to be certain. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the clarification!!

Yes, teak, and I really like it. Farther around than the Veendam, 3 laps/mile? It's supposed to be for walking only (no running). Someone will correct me if I got that wrong. If you don't want a balcony, check out the outside rooms. We really like them on the Noordam. If you want to step up to the window, you can have the beds configured to be on each side of the window, with the dressers in the middle, instead of the bed put together directly in front of the window.

Correction: it's the Promenade deck. You can see it on the HAL website under deck plans.

The "S" Class ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam) are approximately four times around the deck to equal one mile.

Yes, I see the Promenade Deck is completely walkaround, but what about the UPPER PROMENADE deck? Can you walk all the way around on this level? On the deck plan website, it doesn't look to be a complete wrap around, but I wanted to be certain. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the clarification!!

The UPPER PROMENADE deck does not have any public walking area. What looks like it might be a public area on the deck plan is actually the balconies for the cabins involved.

The PROMENADE deck is a walk around deck. On the Vista and Signature ships there are no cabins on this deck.

Edited by richwmn

I think I might be confusing my question :o I just want to know if you can walk all the way around the UPPER PROMENADE deck on the Noordam - ie is there a public deck that wraps the entire UPPER PROMENADE? I can't be for certain from the pictures on the deck plans on the website. It looks from the pictures that the only deck area is in front of the cabins, not under the life boat area.

Does anyone so for sure? Thank you!!:)

The UPPER PROMENADE deck does not have any public walking area. What looks like it might be a public area on the deck plan is actually the balconies for the cabins involved.

The PROMENADE deck is a walk around deck. On the Vista and Signature ships there are no cabins on this deck.

eastexascruiser

I think I might be confusing my question I just want to know if you can walk all the way around the UPPER PROMENADE deck on the Noordam - ie is there a public deck that wraps the entire UPPER PROMENADE? I can't be for certain from the pictures on the deck plans on the website. It looks from the pictures that the only deck area is in front of the cabins, not under the life boat area.

Does anyone so for sure? Thank you!!

On Noordam, PROMENADE DECK is the full wrap around, walk around deck. That is the public walking deck on the Vista Class Ships.

(Vista Class ships are: Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Noordam)

Edited by sail7seas

I think I might be confusing my question :o I just want to know if you can walk all the way around the UPPER PROMENADE deck on the Noordam - ie is there a public deck that wraps the entire UPPER PROMENADE? I can't be for certain from the pictures on the deck plans on the website. It looks from the pictures that the only deck area is in front of the cabins, not under the life boat area.

Does anyone so for sure? Thank you!!:)

The answer to your question is no.

Looks like you've got the deck plan pretty well figured out. Just to be sure, you are correct. The Upper Promenade deck on the Noordam is NOT a walk around deck. it is dedicated to separately partitioned balcony cabins with some ocean-view and obstructed ocean-view cabins. Unlike the Veendam, there are no cabins on the Promenade deck. Hope this helps you.