Carnival Pride

mpdahmer

Been on the Pride three times and will sail on her a fourth time in August. I love cruising out of Baltimore (drive down from NY - much easier than flying with 4 kids!!!) and am sad to see her go. I love the small-ish layout of the ship, so easy to get around, yet still plenty of space to enjoy! Make sure you're on deck during sailaway when you pass under the bridge... clearance is pretty tight and it really looks like you're not going to make it under... and then everyone claps when you do pass safely, lol.

We also have 4 kids ranging from 14 to 20 who will be sailing with us and we will also be driving down from northern NJ / NY area to Baltimore for our August sailing. We have sailed out of NY/NJ and under the Bridge there but my kids will probably want to see this in Baltimore.

LOVESTOCRUISE19: Thanks for the GREAT pics!!!

I have also booked a trip on the Pride, for February. I also had the same concern about what to do in Freeport. I found something that I am going to try, but I can't give any reviews or recommendations about it because I have not gone yet. (and in the stickies it says it is against the rules)

So, not for recommendation purposes, but what I plan to do is go to Paradise Cove, to snorkel at Dead Mans Reef. We booked this separate from the cruise line, and it is very reasonable at 35 per adult, and 20 for kids. That includes the transportation. :)

So when I get back, I will be sure to do a review and let you know how it turns out. I have a giant fear of missing the ship!

I'm still unsure about what to do in Nassau, but do have a few ideas.

Thank you. I have heard mixed reviews about Junkanoo beach, but I decided that I would probably wait and see when we get there. With it being free, there are other things we could spend money on. If it doesn't seem like it would work, we could always go to one of the day pass places.

I'm booking my first cruise on the Pride today! I'm excited! It will be the hubs and mine's 10 year anniversary and we're taking our two small children. I'm glad to read that many of you have had a great experience with this ship. I'm looking foward to reading your reviews and the ALl Things Pride thread when I get some more time!

Why is the Pride leaving Baltimore? Will she be back next year?

We did our own snorkel excursion in Freeport, with a tour group called Pat & Diane. Hands down amazing and I will go back this year for sure. The tour included a mini-van ride (about 20 minutes) to the docks, and then a short cruise out to gorgeous waters for snorkeling. Fish like you wouldn't believe. The guides teach you how to use the equipment and get in the water with you - such sweet people. One of them took my 2 year old in with her (wearing life vest, etc) so that I could get in the water and snorkel a little too. They were great with the kids. The boat also has a rock climbing wall and a slide that goes right into the water. Afterwards, they had us back in plenty of time - you could either get right on the bus back to the ship, or explore the little market for 15-20 minutes and get the next bus. I would highly recommend this tour. That was our third time in Freeport - first time, we booked glass bottom boat thru Carnival, which was nice, but not that memorable, and the second time, we were supposed to do the above excursion, but it was too windy, so they took us to a beach instead, which was not great for snorkeling, but the water was good for swimming. Anyway - I would highly recommend Pat & Diane's tour... You have to make advance reservations but they don't charge you until the day of the tour, and no charge if it is canceled due to weather.

BandS.jpg.de31433c4b42d5160d522472fe8dc339.jpg

syd.jpg.542a66a2398cac45a9c3798dc5c65a3e.jpg

Your pictures are so awesome. Looks like everyone had a lot of fun! How much is that trip per person, if you don't mind me asking? I have one set up already with another place. But it would be interesting to see, and we may just do another cruise at another point after this one.

This is all excellent information. We are stopping in Cape Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport. I am confident that we can navigate Cape Canaveral on our own we we have never been to The Bahamas. Any day trips or land activities that we should steer away from?

Thanks!

PunkyCruiser if you are asking about the Pat & Diane, their website quotes $50/adult and $33/child, but they offer discounts if you book in advance. You can get a quote on their website. Not sure if I am allowed to post the link but you can google 'Pat Diane Freeport Snorkel' and it will come up. I brought four kids ages 2,6,10 & 13 and they had a blast and so did my husband and I.

Thank you CorrieCJ. I am going to check it out right now. :) Now I am trying to decide what we will do in Port Canaveral. My husbands grandmother lives about an hour from there. Trying to decide if we should rent a car and drive to her place for the day, or see if she can come visit us at the port. Does anyone know if FL residents can come enjoy the parks/ beaches / restaurants at the port?

[url]http://visitportcanaveral.com/play-at-the-port/[/url]
[url]http://www.portcanaveral.com/recreation/dining.php[/url]

We have also met family at the port but left with them to their house. On this cruise there will be too many of us to pick up and with the kids we want to either hit the beach or just stay at the pool on the ship. My brother lives close to the pier and said there was nice restaurants along the port with a full view of the ships. Many locals go and hang out for dinner or drinks to watch the ships pull out.

Thank you, mpdahmer. I am going in the beginning of February. I wanted to check out the beach, but I'm assuming the water will be too cold to go swimming. I appreciate the links. It will help me see what is available to do there. I keep telling my hubby to call his gram and see if she wants to meet up. We haven't seen her in a few years because of the distance. It would be a perfect time to see her while we are there!! I would love to take her to lunch while we are in the area.

[quote name='funinthesun1964']Hi, we did the Pride at the end of October and I did a review. I posted The Fun Times in the review also. Here is the link:

[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1938776&highlight=pride+review[/URL]

I hope this works, and I hope it helps some with what to expect! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I read it all and loved your pictures!

[quote name='michelle1836']love the Pride too. favorite class of ship because it is easy to navigate!

I should have Pride pictures and review in my signature too[/QUOTE]
Headed there now! Thanks!

[quote name='lovestocruise19']Carnival Pride will always hold a special place in my heart because she was my first ship and got me addicted to cruising! I have a review in my signature, however, some of the photos might not be showing up anymore. Feel free to let me know if you want to see something specific and I can post the photo in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reposting your fav's on here! I love enjoying everyone's pictures!

[quote name='almoma']This is all excellent information. We are stopping in Cape Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport. I am confident that we can navigate Cape Canaveral on our own we we have never been to The Bahamas. Any day trips or land activities that we should steer away from?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

We have stopped in Florida and Nassau previously, but never Freeport.

In Florida, we rented a car and went to Kennedy Space Center on our own.
Another year, we were going to parasail, so we rented a car and went to that area, but it was too windy and they cancelled it. (money back, no worries, except we had the rental car). We ended up renting a boat and spending the day tubing off the back of the boat. It was windy and we surely got beach hair! We are a family of five and travelled with two or three others, so renting a minivan and doing our own excursions in Florida was much cheaper.

In Nassau, we went to Blackbeard's Cay (which is now a Carnival island spot) and swam with the Stingrays. I booked it directly with Blackbeard's Cay online but now Carnival owns it and it is Bamoral Island or something like that. You can still swim with the stingrays or do a dolphin encounter there, but I haven't read great reviews yet, just getting it up and running again.

We also rented Segways in Nassau (again with an independent company, not the cruise line one) That was a lot of fun! They picked us up in a passenger van and took us about 20 minutes inland. Again, I don't think this site is still offering the tour.

I am looking for things to do on our short visit to Freeport.

Hi turning40withMickey,
We are sailing the Pride the week of March 9 and want to do the Kennedy Space Center on our own like you did.
Which car rental company did you choose and did they shuttle you to and from the port to the agency?
I appreciate any help you can give.