Help with St Maartin Excursion

cbMcruiser

We are leaving from Puerto Rico on a 7-day cruise on Carnival, February 2014. We get to St Maartin as the last port of call. My wife and I will be in charge of our 2 grandchildren for that day. We are looking for an excursion that will satisfy both a 17 year old young man and a 12 year old young lady. The 17-year old has minor cerebral palsy and cannot walk LONG distances (we will have his wheelchair). Therefore, he is not a big fan of beaches, can't do SEGWAYS, etc. In looking at the excursions listed via the Carnival website, one thing that stands out is the butterfly farm/island tour. Is this something that might keep the attention of a 17 and 12 year old?

We are leaving from Puerto Rico on a 7-day cruise on Carnival, February 2014. We get to St Maartin as the last port of call. My wife and I will be in charge of our 2 grandchildren for that day. We are looking for an excursion that will satisfy both a 17 year old young man and a 12 year old young lady. The 17-year old has minor cerebral palsy and cannot walk LONG distances (we will have his wheelchair). Therefore, he is not a big fan of beaches, can't do SEGWAYS, etc. In looking at the excursions listed via the Carnival website, one thing that stands out is the butterfly farm/island tour. Is this something that might keep the attention of a 17 and 12 year old?

We rented a small motor boat and puttered through the laggon. No boat licence is required. We tied up in Marigot and went to a bakery and also to the Marigot Market and since we went on a Saturday there were lots of crafters there. After doing this for 3 hrs in the morning I would take a short taxi ride to Maho beach and watch the planes landing and taking off.

http://www.boatrentalsxm.com

Edited by Karysa

We rented a small motor boat and puttered through the laggon. No boat licence is required. We tied up in Marigot and went to a bakery and also to the Marigot Market and since we went on a Saturday there were lots of crafters there. After doing this for 3 hrs in the morning I would take a short taxi ride to Maho beach and watch the planes landing and taking off.

www.boatrentalsxm.com

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. What do you think of two 60+ trying to assist their grandson out of this boat at the pier? Is it low enough that it would be doable?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. What do you think of two 60+ trying to assist their grandson out of this boat at the pier? Is it low enough that it would be doable?

Getting in and out at the pier should be fine with some help from the owners. They are a lovely American couple who are now raising their family on the island. Anyway, getting off at Marigot might be an issue. We were all 50+ and had no issues but this docking required us to balance the boat a little and assist eachother back into the boat. We docked at the dock on the left. Perhaps the dock in the middle would be better to drop people off and then the driver can drive the boat over to the other dock and tie it up. Some other boater actually grabbed our rope and assisted us even though we would have been fine to do this on our own. I would hope that if you needed a little assistance that you would find it easily.

Take a look at http://www.stmaarten-activities.com

We have used this company Aquamania for many daysails to other islands so I would feel very comfortable recommending them. Perhaps they will have an excursion that would work for you. Their location in the Simpson Bay area also puts you in close proximity to visit the planes at Maho.

Getting in and out at the pier should be fine with some help from the owners. They are a lovely American couple who are now raising their family on the island. Anyway, getting off at Marigot might be an issue. We were all 50+ and had no issues but this docking required us to balance the boat a little and assist eachother back into the boat. We docked at the dock on the left. Perhaps the dock in the middle would be better to drop people off and then the driver can drive the boat over to the other dock and tie it up. Some other boater actually grabbed our rope and assisted us even though we would have been fine to do this on our own. I would hope that if you needed a little assistance that you would find it easily.

Take a look at www.stmaarten-activities.com

We have used this company Aquamania for many daysails to other islands so I would feel very comfortable recommending them. Perhaps they will have an excursion that would work for you. Their location in the Simpson Bay area also puts you in close proximity to visit the planes at Maho.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond so thoroughly :D

Thanks, karysa, for that detailed response.

We've considered this, but it is usually just the two of us and it doesn't seem very cost effective.

Are you aware of the BBQ-Donut that we have previously seen advertised on the island, but can't find a current reference?

th_bbq-donut2.jpg

(click)

gary

Thanks, karysa, for that detailed response.

We've considered this, but it is usually just the two of us and it doesn't seem very cost effective.

Are you aware of the BBQ-Donut that we have previously seen advertised on the island, but can't find a current reference?

th_bbq-donut2.jpg

(click)

gary

No, I have never seen or heard of that but I will be on the lookout for it. Might be nice in the evening but can't imagine that I would want to sit around a hot BBQ in St. Maarten in the daytime.

We did the butterfly farm and had a great time. My Emma was 9 and she uses wheels to get around. We took her in her stroller that day though. The place is very accessible and we walked there from the ship. It was less than a 3 minute walk from the ship.

Go and have fun. You can stay as long as you want. My Emma liked looking for the blue butterflies. We also watched the bird show and paid for the bird photo at the end. That was fun because she got to choose 3 birds to hold in the picture. We spent about 10 minutes holding the birds.