Renting a scooter for Princess Alaska land tour & cruise for the firs time?

phabric

I was thinking of renting a scooter for my DH for our Alaska land tour and cruise on the Crown Princess in August. He is having problems walking long distance, get tired easily and is slow doing the stairs. He used a wheelchair at our airport which is huge and now thinks that a scooter would help him save from all the walking.

We have a standard balcony cabin reserved and would like to keep it for the angled balcony. We do not want to take a handicap cabin away from someone that really needs as there are only 12 handicap cabins available on this ship. I was thinking we can store it where the hanging clothes closet is and move the scooter to in front of the balcony doors when we need to charge it up (there is not too many outlets in the cabins).

I have had a quote from Special Needs At Sea for a 21" scooter of $398 for 12 days with a drop off at the Anchorage hotel and pick up from the ship in Vancouver. I have a request for a quote from Care Vacations and their scooters are 22". Does an inch made much of a difference? Is there any other charges from the scooter company?

Since this is our first time renting a scooter, are there any tips you can give us?

Has anybody done a land tour before with a scooter? We will not be using the scooter on any of the excursions I have picked as most are picked up at the lodges. Princess says that their coaches and trains can accompany scooters.

Anybody had a scooter in a standard cabin? Both the scooter company and Princess says that a 21" scooter would fit through a standard balcony cabin door. Would my idea about storage and charging work?

Do you have to fill out the medical form from the cruiseline if you are not in a handicap cabin?

Edited by phabric

I was thinking of renting a scooter for my DH for our Alaska land tour and cruise on the Crown Princess in August. He is having problems walking long distance, get tired easily and is slow doing the stairs. He used a wheelchair at our airport which is huge and now thinks that a scooter would help him save from all the walking.

We have a standard balcony cabin reserved and would like to keep it for the angled balcony. We do not want to take a handicap cabin away from someone that really needs as there are only 12 handicap cabins available on this ship. I was thinking we can store it where the hanging clothes closet is and move the scooter to in front of the balcony doors when we need to charge it up (there is not too many outlets in the cabins).

I have had a quote from Special Needs At Sea for a 21" scooter of $398 for 12 days with a drop off at the Anchorage hotel and pick up from the ship in Vancouver. I have a request for a quote from Care Vacations and their scooters are 22". Does an inch made much of a difference? Is there any other charges from the scooter company?

Since this is our first time renting a scooter, are there any tips you can give us?

Has anybody done a land tour before with a scooter? We will not be using the scooter on any of the excursions I have picked as most are picked up at the lodges. Princess says that their coaches and trains can accompany scooters.

Anybody had a scooter in a standard cabin? Both the scooter company and Princess says that a 21" scooter would fit through a standard balcony cabin door. Would my idea about storage and charging work?

Do you have to fill out the medical form from the cruiseline if you are not in a handicap cabin?

Have already replied to your 2 other posts on different threads. Here's the links to those posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1948493

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952825

Additionally regarding 21" versus 22" Special Needs at Seas and CareVacations generally use the same scooter. That being a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler Plus HD. Both companies are just measuring from different points but either should not be an issue. The scooter will be delivered directly to your cabin. In fact in most cases it will be waiting for you in the cabin so you can be certain that either will fit through the doorway otherwise it wouldn't be in the cabin.