13 & 10 yr old -Kids Club question

sp914

In need of some help. I'm cruising for the first time with my sons who will be 13 and 10 at the time. I am noticing on some cruise lines they divide up the ages and my 10 year old won't be allowed to do the same activities (kids clubs) as the 13 year old. Since its their first cruise, they'll want to be together. Any suggestions on which lines will allow a 13 yr old and a 10 yr old to be in the same kids club?

Edited by sp914
added to question

Hi fellow Marylander (I'm from Timonium)!

What I would recommend is putting the 13 in with the younger age group. They will generally allow older kids to go down an age group but will not allow the younger child to go up an age group. Check when you get onboard.

One thing to consider is that your kids will be fine divided up. The counselors are warm and welcoming. Many of the activities are structured around games, contests, scavenger hunts, etc. Don't worry yourself over them being in different groups and don't make an issue of it with the kids. It's best to reassure them that they will have a ball and if they don't like the youth program they don't have to go.

My son loved the youth program but now that he is 13- her doesn't like the teen center. He was turned off by the older rowdy teens and limited supervision. But- he still LOVES cruises. He loves the relative freedom he has on the ship- the pools, the onboard games available to all the passengers. We play ping pong and borrow Uno cards from the teen center, etc. We make our own fun!

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We've been on several cruises, and very seldom do any of the lines allow children out of their age groups.(Even when they are related) I would suggest a longer cruise, or a cruise during a less busy time. When they have less kids they will often combine groups. This has happened on two of our twelve day cruises as they had very few kids. Have a great time.

I don't have an answer to your question about which lines have those ages combined (though teens are usually in different clubs - or they wouldn't go!). Siblings on cruises are very often in different groups because of the age difference. The counselors are great at making everyone feel comfortable and welcome and help to get the kids acquainted with each other. Also, it's nice during travel for everyone to have a break from each other. Just want to reassure you that it may work out better than you think.

All the best,

Mia