Live From QE's January TA Crossing

Toffeegirl68

The optional formal was set prior to the start of the trip and listed as such in the first day's program. It was not a decision made based on the seas (unless Cunard is truely prescient).

The idea of an optional formal dresscode on some theme ball is that passengers may either go formal or contribute with their dresses to the theme of the evening. Just imagine the fashion police commenting on a Robin Hood...

(Still catching up)

Got up early on disembarkation day - we have gained another hour this morning so in a way its not early at all...

Dressed and showered I wandered up to the Lido for a cup of tea and something to nibble on for first breakfast. The main Lido 'legs' as I think of them were not yet open at 6 so I got a pastry from the central section. (There is an identical set of long hot/cold buffet stations, one on the port side one on starboard. These are open for mealtimes. The central section is open all day and night with its offerings changing according to the time of day.)

I planned to do some blogging (though posting was stalled as I had no Internet minutes left from my free time allocated) but did not as someone 'new' came to sit with me and we ended up chatting for an hour. A solo world cruise traveller now learning to sail without her late husband. .... we had a lovely chat about all sorts of stuff. We discussed the perils of sharing allocated tables at dinner - now never mind the dress code, you could write a book on this one!!!! She also mentioned the difficulties in joining a couple socially and the fine line there was in not imposing yourself.

Thanks for the info. And thank Whitemarsh to help

Clarify the post

But why was the dress code changed?

I do not know why the dress code was changed and NO ONE I spoke to had heard of it before and we had many hundreds of cruise night experience on our table. If you think about it one can choose to dress formally on any cruise night so it seems to be a bit of an odd arrangement. We chose to dress formally as did all on our table so there was no problem or embarrassment for us but I do think "FORMAL or INFORMAL" to be nonsense arrangement. Plenty of people prepare their nights attire (as indeed I do).