Manatees and a Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab Dolphin Discovery

DisneyFamily123

Best way to get time with the Manatees and a dolphin swim? We want to do both but I'd like more time with the manatees than just a few minutes.

Celebrity has an excursion "Dolphin Push Pull Swim and Manatee Interaction that is the same as Dolphin Discovery's Swim Adventure plus 10 min group interaction with a manatee(s).

The Dolphin Royal Swim looks much better and reviews often say they got a bonus interaction with manatees. But DD says that the manatee interaction is not included and tried to sell me the $59 interaction (which includes more time with them).

I'm thinking we would do one of the above and just add more time with the manatees at the park. I also wonder if that's trying to do too much… We also want to snorkel a bit, the sea lion show, and there seems to be plenty to do at Chankanaab.

After reviewing what the ship offered and what some other TAs offered, we decided to book directly with dolphin discovery. If booked far ahead enough,they offer some pretty good discounts. I really just wanted to do the manatee encounter, but my daughter and her friend (middle schoolers) wanted to be with the dolphins, so we booked both the manatee encounter and then the Royal dolphin swim. Together (for three people for both about $395) was much less than what the ship wanted for just the dolphin swim ($199 each).

After reviewing what the ship offered and what some other TAs offered, we decided to book directly with dolphin discovery. If booked far ahead enough,they offer some pretty good discounts. I really just wanted to do the manatee encounter, but my daughter and her friend (middle schoolers) wanted to be with the dolphins, so we booked both the manatee encounter and then the Royal dolphin swim. Together (for three people for both about $395) was much less than what the ship wanted for just the dolphin swim ($199 each).

This is what our family of 4 decided to do. It includes the buffet lunch and 2 non alcoholic drinks as well! :)

Dolfans from Miami

We did them separate Manatee interaction in 2010. We also did the Royal swim! but our manatee was extra and was about 45 min with just 4 of us. The free manatee interaction tacked onto the Royal swim is just where about 12 or more people line up and get to touch as the manatee swims by. We are very glad we did the separate interaction.

We also did the separate sea lion interaction too. It was my DD's birthday and we were trying to make it special.

Thinking about doing all 3 too. Do you think it's too much to do all 3 together without a break? Thanks for tips and advice!

We will be at the park from 9am to 3pm. The cruise boat departure time is 5pm and I want to allow plenty of time to get back. We want a little bit of time to see the parrots, iguanas (can do 9am-10am), and snorkel for about 30-45 minutes. If I'm trying to do too much, that will give me an excuse to book another cruise to come back!

Option #1: Finish by 1pm with 2 hours left for snorkeling, swimming, or relaxing on beach. And plenty time to look at the very expensive photos I'm sure I'll end up buying.

10am Manatees (45min)

11am Sea Lions (45min)

12noon Dolphins Royal Swim (55min)

Option #2: Gives us a short break and about an hour after the dolphins.

10am Manatees

11am Sea Lions

Break

1pm Dolphins Royal Swim

Option #3: Gives us a break 12-1:30 but NO time after the sea lions.

10am Manatees

11am Dolphins Royal Swim

Break

1:30pm Sea Lions

We did them separate Manatee interaction in 2010. We also did the Royal swim! but our manatee was extra and was about 45 min with just 4 of us. The free manatee interaction tacked onto the Royal swim is just where about 12 or more people line up and get to touch as the manatee swims by. We are very glad we did the separate interaction.

We also did the separate sea lion interaction too. It was my DD's birthday and we were trying to make it special.

Edited by DisneyFamily123

Depending upon your time table and depending upon which port you are leaving from...the best manatee interaction is in Crystal River Fl. If your going sometime in the cooler months. They come into the Springs to stay warm and they are soooo interactive.

We always try to go down a day early before our cruises our of Tampa and stop in for some Manatee scratchin.:D

Do you get a discount for multiple interactions? It seems like if you do more than one in a day you are kind of overpaying- since it includes admission.

I did the Manatee encounter (amazing!) and the $59 was an especially great deal because it included the $20 park admission. But if you pay that park admission with the dolphin swim, then it kinda seems overpriced...

Thinking about doing all 3 too. Do you think it's too much to do all 3 together without a break? Thanks for tips and advice!

We will be at the park from 9am to 3pm. The cruise boat departure time is 5pm and I want to allow plenty of time to get back. We want a little bit of time to see the parrots, iguanas (can do 9am-10am), and snorkel for about 30-45 minutes. If I'm trying to do too much, that will give me an excuse to book another cruise to come back!

Option #1: Finish by 1pm with 2 hours left for snorkeling, swimming, or relaxing on beach. And plenty time to look at the very expensive photos I'm sure I'll end up buying.

10am Manatees (45min)

11am Sea Lions (45min)

12noon Dolphins Royal Swim (55min)

Option #2: Gives us a short break and about an hour after the dolphins.

10am Manatees

11am Sea Lions

Break

1pm Dolphins Royal Swim

Option #3: Gives us a break 12-1:30 but NO time after the sea lions.

10am Manatees

11am Dolphins Royal Swim

Break

1:30pm Sea Lions

We did the Royal swim first. I think it was at 10am or so and they took us straight to the manatees after. We got a quick bathroom break, then the sea lion show and then the sea lion interaction. We ate after all 3 and left the park around 3pm. Easy to catch a taxi.

You will have on a different wrist band for each activity. The staff will make sure you get to everything on time. We were a little late getting to the manatees since the swim went long, but no worries.

If we did the 3 again I would probably do the same order.

I was also able to negotiate a discount since I scheduled by phone all 3 at once. We ended up essentially getting the manatees free. The person on the phone will go over times with you. They're great to work with.