Freeport scooters

CRUISERMOMX3

This will be my first trip to Freeport, and after reading mostly negative reviews, I am wondering if anyone has rented a scooter lately. We would like to just explore the island a little bit and stop at a few beaches, etc. I have read that it is unsafe but want some good CC advise. Also, I understand that the rental places are not located near the port so you have to pay for a cab to get to your scooter, lol. Is this true?

• 1 year later...

renting a scooter in freeport was easy. just walk a little bit toward the tourist village and the rental shop is there. they require a deposit though but we got that back.

it was the BEST scooter experience i ever had in my life. we got to go to all the not touristy areas with amazing houses and basically NO ONE on the back roads which made riding really easy. came back, returned the scooter, got the deposit back, no hassle.

What were the rates?

honestly i can't remember exactly but i believe it was like $30 USD? and that was for a 4 hours session.

the reason we even scootered was because there was basically not many good excursions we were interested in so we made it an "explore the island" day with the limited time we had off the ship. we could have went to the main town there but decided really just to cruise the really nice mansion areas with the scooter.

the main road getting there may be a bit tricker since there is more traffic but the side/back roads are barren.

also i would like to mention that this was my FIRST time ever using a scooter or motorcycle so it was a nervous experience at first, especially with the opposite road traffic which still confuses me a little.

Did you ride two people per scooter?

yep. not sure what CC the scooters were. they were yellow if that helps?

also if it helps, i weighed about 132 during that trip and my wife weighed 101.

i think our top speed was about 35mph. didn't want to push it.

i guess now it's interesting for me because i'm headed to atlantis (no cruise) in a few weeks and i'm really interested in renting a scooter there but have heard horror stories too.

so i'm wary but i'm also pushing towards doing so. maybe hit the east/west end of the island.