Any turtle farm visitors willing to do me a huge favor?!

_Blur

We went on a package that hit the rum cake store, hell, and the turtle farm. The ticket there was just the turtle farm itself. We had a good time but think of it like a small zoo with some big, medium, and small turtles and you're able to pick up the small ones. Pretty cool to do once but it depends on if you'd enjoy it I guess.

And that eBay Listing is exactly what I'm looking for but geez we paid 5 or 6 for it new, not 31 used! Anyway here's a better pic for anyone able to help me.

ImageUploadedByForums1396966909.500984.jpg.5f29d1665f38b0f0b31ef36b6545c166.jpg

The other site I posted is close but this one is exactly like we found it with no cayman logo on the right side of the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by _Blur

Kajunswty...

Just got back! This was our third trip to Grand Cayman. The first two trips we went to Stingray City with NativeWay tours. This trip we were looking to check out 7-mile beach, the Turtle Farm, and go to Hell.

The Turtle Farm, home to 16,000 turtles, is a government-run operation which raises the endangered green sea turtles to increase their population in the wild. Established in 1968, it's the world's only commercial green-sea-turtle farm. "This eco-sensitive turtle farm exists to provide the local market with edible turtle meat (preventing the need to hunt them in the wild) and to replenish the waters with hatcheling and yearling turtles. Visitors can observe turtles in every stage of development in 100 circular concrete tanks. Turtles here range in size from 6 ounces to 600 pounds. At a snack bar and restaurant, you can sample farm-raised-turtle dishes". Not entirely true. The restaurant no longer serves turtle dishes.

Adult cost is $18 for the "Turtle Farm Exploration Tour" which includes just the Turtle Farm (where you can pickup and hold baby turtles) or $45 for the "Turtle Adventure Tour" which includes the entire park. Children 5 to 12 are $9 and $25 respectively (and under 5 are free). You might be able to take advantage of a couple of discounts. The Turtle Farm offers a 20% discount when tickets are bought in advance, and Explore Cayman says you can get a discount of 10% at the Turtle Farm if you walk up to the ticket booth and mention "EXPLORE". This not-so-secret word will also get you 10% off at the Schooner's Bar & Grill and Splash Gift Shop.

We bought tickets online in advance and traded our vouchers for wristbands. Upon entering the farm, the first tank you see is loaded with HUGE 6-foot sea turtles. Several other tanks hold turtles of varying sizes. Loose chickens and iguanas also roam the property. There are a dozen tanks holding baby (1-foot sized) sea turtles. It's fun to catch them for a photo opportunity.

Skip the restaurant. While the view along the rail is good and the shade is comfortable, a jerk chicken sandwich, conch chowder, and a root beer will set you back $28 US. The food wasn't bad but at this price it should be tastier. They also no longer serve turtle here. Two locals suggested Myrtles at Queen's Court next to the 7-mile shops (reasonable close to the pier by bus or taxi) as the "go to" place for great turtle dishes. "They do it right". That's a definate stop for us next time we're here. The Turtle Farm is worth a visit.

Georgetown has a great "public bus" system that is pretty easy to find from Royal Watler Terminal by walking about two blocks inland on Fort Street to the corner of Edward St and Fort Street. (From North Cruise Terminal, follow Cardinall Street two blocks and turn left on Edward Street and walk two more blocks). The buses (little minivans that hold up 10 - 16 passengers) leave every 15 minutes or so (between 6:00 am to 9:00 pm) from a small lot near the public library across the street from Heroes Square. They go pretty much all over the island to the major attractions.

The bus drivers (who speak English) will drop you off anywhere along a route that you want to go. The fare is usually $2.50 U.S. and you pay when you leave the "bus." To catch one going back, you stand on the opposite side of the street from where you're dropped off (or locate a covered bus stop), keeping in mind that locals drive on the left side of the road. If you see a minivan coming, wave at it and it will stop. If it honks at you when approaching, it is because the driver is asking if you want to get on the bus.

The difference between the bus and the taxi (other than price): Taxis license plates are red numbers on a white background; the bus has white numbers on a blue background. Logos located on the front and rear of buses identify routes: Route 1 (yellow) and Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to WestBay (which includes Seven Mile Beach, Turtle Farm, and Hell) and that's all we needed to know. Here's a look at all of the bus routes.

Hell is only worthy of a 15-20 minute stop --- about enough time to view and take photos and mail a couple of post cards. Hell has jagged rock formations made of ironshore, a type of limestone with a black coloration due to algae. This bleak landscape is how some folks might imagine Hell on Earth would look like. If you look carefully you'll notice Iguanas dotting the rocks. There are two main buildings in Hell: a tourist trap and a Post Office with a fence separating the two. You can view the formations from either location. I recommend asking your driver to drop you off at the Hell Post Office. There are 3 little souvenir shops next to the Post Office which offer what we thought were better post cards than the tourist trap next door. Post cards are 50 cents and stamps to the USA are 25 cents. It was fun to go just so we can say we "went to Hell and back".

Although Hell and the Turtle Farm are only 1.5 miles apart, there are no sidewalks between the two. Riding a bus is recommended. Seven Mile Beach is a definite bus ride from either.

If you choose to take a taxi to or from Seven Mile Beach, the cab fare is $4 - $6 pp depending upon how far up the beach you are. Rates are fixed and posted, but be sure to confirm the fare before the driver takes off.

Seven Mile Beach (really 5 miles of nice sand, but who's counting?) is located just north of George Town between the pier and places like the Turtle Farm and Hell. All the beaches on the Cayman Islands are free public beaches. Like everywhere, some of the hotels will charge you to use their chairs and facilities. Since Seven Mile is a sand beach, don't expect much snorkeling, although I understand you can swim about 100 - 200 yards offshore at Cemetary beach and snorkel the reef. The southern part of the Seven Mile is the most heavily developed and closest to the pier.

We asked to be dropped off at Cemetary Beach which is further away from the pier than popular beaches like Sea Grape and Public Beach in an attempt to avoid the crowds from the 5 ships in port that day. It has a public beach access path and shade trees. Our plan was to get dropped off at the far end and walk along the beach back towards the ship. We ended up walking about 1.6 miles to Tiki Beach. It was fun and the beaches were beautiful. We got back on the main road and caught another bus for US$2.50 that dropped us off near the tender and then got in line to board the tenders and headed back to the ship.

We also considered going to the Caybrew Brewery which is about a 10 to 15 minute bus ride in the opposite direction. (Take bus #3, 4, 5, 8 or 9). The Brewery Tour are US$6 and are available Monday through Friday on the hour from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hell.jpg

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

• 2 weeks later...

OP, I must apologize. I saw your post just before my Western Caribbean cruise, and since I would be visiting the Turtle Farm, I told myself that I would get you that stingray. Well, I did indeed visit the Turtle Farm . . . but I just plain forgot. Please forgive me, and I hope someone with a better memory will come through for you.

I cruise in a little over a month. This is still on my radar. :)

Maybe if you print out the picture that the OP posted earlier and take it with you, it will help you remember. That's what I should have done.

OP, please let us know whenever you do end up getting your stingray. (I checked the Turtle Farm's website, but they didn't have any links to their gift shop. Seems they're missing a revenue-making opportunity there.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the help and offers, I managed to find another one on eBay and it came in and looks great. I really do appreciate the offers and everyone's time! She was happy to get the stingray back :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums