Segways in Freeport

Nadersmom

• 2 weeks later...

I wish someone would reply with a review. I have booked this excursion for March 5 and am hoping I did the right thing. It is sold out, if that means anything. I have ridden a Segway to tour another town and loved it. I guess you were excited when they notified you that your thread had a reply.....sorry to disappoint you, but now it's bumped back to the first page.

I wish someone would reply with a review. I have booked this excursion for March 5 and am hoping I did the right thing. It is sold out, if that means anything. I have ridden a Segway to tour another town and loved it. I guess you were excited when they notified you that your thread had a reply.....sorry to disappoint you, but now it's bumped back to the first page.

LOL!!! Not disappointed but you are so right! I saw the response and thought, "FINALLY"!

Thanks for bumping it! I had a response from someone on another forum and they said they enjoyed it and would do it again.

If you wouldn't mind, please drop me a line when you return and let me know how you liked it. (bcloyd70@gmail.com) I'd love to know about where they take you. I've read they give you time at a beach and somewhere to eat as well as shopping. We've never been on segways but would love to try it, particularly at this port as everyone keeps saying it's an industrial port and you should really do some type of excursion.

I had planned on waiting until we were on the ship to book it but if your's is already full before sail date, maybe I had better rethink my plans.

I haven't done it yet, so I am also interested in the review. I have booked it as there are only 10 places available (it tells you how many tickets are left when you add it to you basket and confirm online). We are sailing beginning of April.

Edited by swanlady2000

Lucky Granny and SwanLady

Maybe you could answer a question for me. If you book this excursion before you sail, do you have to pay for it at time of booking? I mean, my cruise is booked, but my final payment date isn't until September. We will probably pay it off around April or so. I know with FTTF, you have to pay for it w/ a credit card right when you book it. Does the cost of this excursion just get added to my balance due? or do I have to pay for it via credit card when I book it?

I paid for mine also at the time of booking. That was through Carnival, but I suppose they are all the same. Supposedly, if I change my mind, I can cancel and apply that money to another excursion. I don't know how difficult it would be to get it back if I didn't want another excursion. Perhaps they would want to keep it and apply it to shipboard charges. I'm looking forward to Trish's review.

Thanks! I thought it would probably have to be paid right away. I guess I'd better check with the others in our group to see if they are game for this, so we can get it booked. Especially if there are only 10 places. The cruise isn't until November but I'm OCD about planning. Just like to have everything in place ahead of time so I know it's done and I don't have to worry about remembering things last minute.

• 2 weeks later...

The Segway tour was SO MUCH FUN and I highly recommend it! We had myself and my husband (in our 40s) and my parents (in their 70s,) as well as a young couple (late 20s) in our tour, so it is a good choice for anyone.

When you get off the ship, there will be a bus that takes you about 20 minutes to the location on the other side of the island. Felix and Antonique will meet you there. They are both great...they play off each other really well and make you laugh. After about 10 minutes of orientation, you will get on your segway and spend a few minutes on the practice track. After practicing, you will actually ride the segway about and hour and 15 minutes. Part of the ride is on the road and part is on beach trails. You stop at various points for pictures and Felix will tell you some history of the island, which is very interesting. After the ride, you have about an hour at a private beach...nothing fancy but beautiful! The bus then picks you up and takes you to the Grand Lucayan shopping area. You are given a pass for the return ride so you can spend as much time as you like shopping.

This tour was the highlight of our cruise! A lot of people we talked to on the ship complained that they didn't care for Freeport, but we would choose an itinerary that stops in Freeport again just so we could do the tour again. You will have a blast!

Thanks so much for coming back with your review Trish20! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I think we are going to book it as well for November.

Did they stop somewhere so you can grab lunch? or did you just do that after they took you to Grand Lucayan?

Also, does the bus come around like every 30 minutes or so?

I hope Trish comes back because I have questions also. When you went to the beach for an hour, what did you do? Did you bring or wear a bathing suit and bring a towel or just walk around? Does that mean you went to the beach in your closed-in shoes that the excursion requires? I am wondering how much I can bring since it sounds like we will ride with everything we bring. I know a cross body purse will be necessary, but am curious as to how you handled this. Did you really stay on the excursion for the five hours mentioned in the description or were you dropped off to shop after two or three hours?

I hope Trish comes back because I have questions also. When you went to the beach for an hour, what did you do? Did you bring or wear a bathing suit and bring a towel or just walk around? Does that mean you went to the beach in your closed-in shoes that the excursion requires? I am wondering how much I can bring since it sounds like we will ride with everything we bring. I know a cross body purse will be necessary, but am curious as to how you handled this. Did you really stay on the excursion for the five hours mentioned in the description or were you dropped off to shop after two or three hours?

LOL Yeah, what SHE said

I'm assuming you'll have to bring a backpack of some sort to put towel, water, ect in. I'm also very curious about the time line because it says its something like 5 hours for this excursion but it doesn't start until 10:15 or so. Isnt that cutting it kind of close for getting back to the ship?

Just checked my excursion times and it says 8.30 to 12.30 on my booking?

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

That's strange. I wonder if it changes depending on time you are scheduled to be on the island. I haven't booked it yet, but when I go to My booking and click on add an excursion, I go the that excursion and it says

DURATION 5.50 hours

DEPARTURE TIME: 10:15 AM

We are scheduled to be in Freeport from 9am to 5pm. Maybe that's just the total time you have in the excursion if you spend a long time shopping in Grand Lucayan?

I booked this excursion the beginning of April (Pride) as well. Its gotten great reviews! I will be on the island with my 16 yo son and our foreign exchange student while my husband is diving....I like the idea of being with a group and not on our own.

I hope the two teens aren't too bored, I'm really looking forward to it :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from doing this tour in Freeport. We were on the Carnival Splendor. When we looked to book this tour, it was closed out. "With the help of Rico from *****, he got us in touch with Reef Tours and they in turn with Carnival and we got on the tour.

We are both seniors and my DW worried about her ability to do this Segway. We both did great and we both loved ever minute of it. We had Felix as our teacher and guide and he was simply great. We was patient with those that needed a bit of extra time to get the feel of the Segway, and stern when some of his important rules of the road weren't being followed.

They take you on a sort of off road trip, stopping several times to learn about the island and it's history and surroundings. personally, once you get to feel comfortable on the Segway, you don't want to stop and I wished we could have spent more time Segwaying, but we did have a great time.

They also took us to a beach for an hour or so (If anyone is interested the sign said Nude Beach, :eek: but alas, no one wished to observe the sign and all wore clothes. :D:D

They then dropped us off at a Marketplace for some shopping (same items as in Nassau but much higher priced, buy your 'made in china' stuff in Nassau instead. :)

All in all, we had great weather and a fun time..

Thanks again Rico for all your help.

Thanks Felix for being so patient and helpful to my DW

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I'm still hoping someone will share how they did this excursion in terms of what to bring and how. Did you go to the beach in the closed shoes required for the Segway portion? If you brought beach shoes, did you bring a towel? Did you ride the Segway with a backpack big enough to have beach shoes and a towel available at the beach? Just wondering about the logistics.....

I know that the part of the description on Carnivals website says the following:

"We recommend you bring sunscreen, sun glasses, swim wear, towel and a camera. Cash is recommended if you would like to purchase optional extras such as souvenirs, drinks, and snacks"

I need to remember to pack a small backpack, though I doubt we swim. But I'd like to have it for water and camera, ect. just in case we change our mind about heading into the water. There are some photos of people on the excursion as well. While none of them appear to be wearing backpacks, it looks like its certainly possible to do so.

Sure looks fun I know that :)