Segways in Freeport

Nadersmom

I'm still hoping someone will share how they did this excursion in terms of what to bring and how. Did you go to the beach in the closed shoes required for the Segway portion? If you brought beach shoes, did you bring a towel? Did you ride the Segway with a backpack big enough to have beach shoes and a towel available at the beach? Just wondering about the logistics.....

OK Granny, here you go. Sorry I didn't see your specific questions before.

First, you can bring whatever you like, but while riding the Segway, they have a sort of pouch thingee hooked up to the front. Sort of like a small back pack and whatever you can fit in there, you can take with you. All other items, like a pocket book, you put in a big barrel and they lock it up in their van/truck. They supply you with a bottle of water also. I just took my camera, as they do give you several great photo ops, and Felix took pix of everyone

on their Segways, with whatever cameras you give him to sue. . My DW didn't take anything extra along.

As for the beach part, if you bring stuff for the beach, again, it will be stored for you while you are on the Segways. If you want to swim at the beach, you must bring towels etc. Where they brought us, there was a small restaurant, a very small beach with some beach chairs already out. Ourselves, we just took our shoes and socks off and walked along the waters edge for a while, turned around and walked back. others did go into the water in bathing suits. If there is a changing room at the restaurant, I don't know. You are basically, on your own while at the beach. When everyone is finished, they have a bus bring you to the Marketplace or back to the ship.

They are very professional about everything, and we would recommend them to anyone, very highly.

Cheers

Len

Thank you so much, Len. We are leaving tomorrow and still were not sure what we can bring. Now I know we can store whatever we don't want to ride with. I have ridden a Segway before and am really looking forward to this excursion. Others of us are a little nervous. They will love it. Thanks again.

Mary Frances

• 2 weeks later...

Nadersmom, we are back and we loved the Segways. Two of us had ridden before, but the other three were nervous. They all loved it also. First, I have to say the excursion is not really a tour of Freeport on the Segways. The whole thing takes place along the beach on a bay on the southern (I think) end of the island, which they take you to by van/bus, which picks you up at the dock. The trip there gives you a look at the island (takes about 20 minutes) and you learn that there is not much to see. The location of the Segways is out the back of an enclosed truck which takes everything back somewhere at the end of the day. There was a guy there who was the instructor and a young woman who was our guide. They sat us down in folding chairs to tell us about our project and then took us one at a time to get on the Segway and practice riding around an oval path they created for that purpose. There was a container there for us to leave anything we had that was large or heavy which they said was locked for our safety. You could put a back pack in it if you chose. Each Segway has a zippered bag on the front where you can store your valuables and camera to bring along with you. They gave each of us a bottle of water. These two people were very friendly, informative, patient, and humerous. When everyone was riding comfortably, we took off in a line across the grass to find a sandy path through the trees growing up and down the beach. A little further back from the beach is a very good concret four-lane boulevard with no cars on it. We occasionally got out onto the street and then would wind back into the trees and along the beach. We rode for about an hour. During that time, our guide stopped once to take everyone's picture with their camera, and another to tell us about the island and the vegetation. She really enjoyed her moment of everyone's attention and may have extended it a bit long, trying to entertain us. We rode some more until our time was up and we were back to turn in our little vehicles. The Segway encampment in the sand happens to be next door to a small restaurant on the beach. We collected our bags and were sent to walk to this beach for the next part of our excursion. There were picnic tables on the beach and we ordered lunch. We had crab cakes, conch fritters and hamburgers among us. Ok food but not delicious. We had brought flip flops for the sand but no suits to swim. There is a rest room where you could change if you wanted but you would need to bring a towel. We were there for about an hour. During this time, the other ten people who had left the dock with us were having their turn on the Segways. We were glad we rode first and ate second, because we would not have been hungry if we had been sent to the beach portion of the excursion before riding. When they came to collect us, we got back on the bus and drove to Lucaya Marketplace, where we had about an hour before needing to board a bus to get back to the dock. We were given a ticket for the bus, but you have to be sure you are in line for the right bus line. The marketplace was many inexpensive souvenir (many made in China or India) shops and several very expensive jewelry stores. I wouldn't want to have to spend the day there. The marketplace is to the rear of a line of hotels along the beach and the bus driver showed us where to walk between them to get to the free beach. A really fun day if you are not one to lie in the sand all day. The Segways are a great experience but the ride is not long enough. I'll be glad to answer questions.

Thanks for all of the information!

The one thing that I am concerned about is the fact that they drop you off and say "here's a ticket, good luck" ? Are these city buses or are they excursion buses that take you back to the ship? We are only in Freeport until 1:30 so our excursion is being cut short as it is; I'm nervous that I would take the wrong bus, arrive late, the ship will have sailed, and I would be stuck in Freeport! :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Lucky Granny

Thank you SO much! What an awesome detailed review! Those are the most helpful. Particularly about the buses! How did you know which one was the right bus to get on? Or the correct line to stand in? I'd be freaking out that I was going to get on the wrong bus LOL

Another question. ..... The Carnival excursion page says that it's limited to 10 people. But you said the second set of 10 people went after you. Was the second set of people from the same ship? Do you get to pick if you go on segways first or second? I ask because I agree with you, I'd rather get something to eat after riding than before. Also, the other couple cruising with us have decided to wait until they are on the ship to decide if they want to book this excursion as well. I think it will be sold out by then. They said they will just wander around the island if they can't join the excursion. They don't really do any research into the places we are going, (well, not like little old OCD me ;)) so I don't think they understand that there isn't much right at the port. Guess they'll have find a taxi to take them somewhere.

Thanks so much for coming back and giving such a detailed review! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I am really looking forward to it. We've never rode segways before and DH is super excited about it.

So overall, how long would you say the excursion was including travel time? about 4 hours?

Not to step on granny's toes, but we did the same tour a few weeks before Granny, so let me try and answer what I can.

First of all, DO NOT WAIT to book this excursion. Ours was already filled up when we wanted to book and we got on because of a cancelation. They only have 10 Segway's and will take 20 people. THAT'S ALL. They do it in two segments of 10, and they just sort of pick who goes first and who goes to the beach first. We also were in the first group and were happy about that, but each group gets the same time on the Segway, and at the beach.

To answer the question about the bus, because it is a very good question. They take you to the marketplace via a mini type bus, they give you a ticket of a certain color. We stayed at the marketplace for about 45 minutes and then wanted to get the bus to return to the ship. We waited for this same mini bus, and we waited, and we waited, but it never came back. What we didn't know was that there were regular buses, that were taking people back. They come about once every half an hour, but they board by color. There is a long line to get on and they will call out colors for people to board first. If we had known this, we would boarded a prior bus, but, like I said, we were waiting for the bus that brought us. I would assume that bus did come back eventually, but it did have us a bit worried at first.

Cheers

Len

To answer the question about the bus, because it is a very good question. They take you to the marketplace via a mini type bus, they give you a ticket of a certain color. We stayed at the marketplace for about 45 minutes and then wanted to get the bus to return to the ship. We waited for this same mini bus, and we waited, and we waited, but it never came back. What we didn't know was that there were regular buses, that were taking people back. They come about once every half an hour, but they board by color. There is a long line to get on and they will call out colors for people to board first. If we had known this, we would boarded a prior bus, but, like I said, we were waiting for the bus that brought us. I would assume that bus did come back eventually, but it did have us a bit worried at first.

Cheers

Len

Thanks so much to the clarification!

Everything Giantfan Len said is correct. Somehow, we did not expect the same van to return, but we thought all the buses were the same, even though our van driver mentioned that we had to get on a bus with the same brand name as was on our tickets. There was a small mob waiting for the bus (there really is no organized line because no one knows exactly where along the curb the next bus will stop). There was a uniformed man there who was trying to help people find their way and answer questions. He announced that the bus that pulled up first after I arrived at the scene required an armband to ride that bus. We had laminated vouchers so we had to wait for another bus. It came along a few minutes later. By that time, however, the crowd was big and that bus was full and a few people did not get on. They had to wait for the next bus...I was worried about them but then saw them later on the ship so I know they made it. I think I had in the back of my mind that we could always pay for a cab if we couldn't get on a bus, so I didn't freak out. My husband did but he is an easy freaker. Nobody called out colors when we were going through this process. It may be designed to alarm and add excitement to your visit. We actually got back in plenty of time and shopped some more at the dock before actually boarding. I fear we have not told you anything that will allow you to not worry about getting back to the ship. Our ship was leaving at five pm, we were supposed to be on board by 4:30, and all this took place at 3:30-4 pm. The ride back to the ship is not long and the shops at the dock (except for real jewelry stores) looked to be similar to those at the market. I would suggest getting on back to the dock and finish shopping there. The whole excursion took about five hours and you get to see a lot of the island while riding around. There are restaurants, bars, and shops at the dock if your friends don't want to leave.....friends of ours partied more than enough right there. However, they can't walk to anywhere else from there as it is an industrialized area and a long way from a town. They can get a cab but would need a destination. Glad to answer more questions.

Edited by Lucky Granny

Thanks!

I am a freaker outer too, especially because my husband will be diving and I'll be with my son and our exchange student. Our ship leaves a t 1:30, hopefully my husband won't let them leave without us :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

My husband did but he is an easy freaker.

LOL!!!! Fellow Freaker here :D

You're right Granny, I'll won't be able to relax after the tour until I figure out where that bus will be to pick us up. LOL Hubby will be the one telling me to "Relax, we'll be fine"

So did the bus that picked you up have the same name on it as your tickets like your van driver said?

Were there cabs that were easily accessible in that area should we decide to just take a cab instead of waiting in the crowd for the next bus? Any idea of the cost for cabs in Nassau?

Thanks so much to you and Giantfan fo rthe answers you're giving!

Not to step on granny's toes, but we did the same tour a few weeks before Granny, so let me try and answer what I can.

First of all, DO NOT WAIT to book this excursion. Ours was already filled up when we wanted to book and we got on because of a cancelation. They only have 10 Segway's and will take 20 people. THAT'S ALL. They do it in two segments of 10, and they just sort of pick who goes first and who goes to the beach first. We also were in the first group and were happy about that, but each group gets the same time on the Segway, and at the beach.

Cheers

Len

Thanks so much for the info! I'm pretty much the only planner in my group so I'm certain that my Nephew and his wife won't try to book this until they are on the boat. I've already told him that they will most likely have to find something else to do as the tour will probably be filled. He's fine with that possibility so I guess it's a worry free situation :D

DH and I, however, are super excited to try the Segways. He's always wanted to try them and I think he's more excited that it is "kind of" off road, not just going down the sidewalks.

Don't know if I fit into the 'freaker' category, but I do consider myself pretty anal. I like to have all my 't s' crossed and my 'I s' dotted before I do or go anywhere. always have a plan before we do anything. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

They claim that if you buy your excursion from the ship you are on, that they won't leave without you. I hope that applies even if you are left on your own to get back. About the cabs, I did not actually locate a place to catch one, but assumed it was there as we were at the marketplace across the street from the beach that others on this board have written about taking a cab to. My daughter and kids and friends got to the beach that way, but they had lots of small children so their per head rate might have been different from that of adults. Both Freeport and Nassau have lots of uniformed personnel out on the streets helping sort out all their tourists and everyone is very friendly and helpful. Others on this board have mentioned $10 and also $15 per head to get from the dock to this particular location so that should be about right, in an emergency. And the Segway tour is partially off-road. It is on a sand path with rocks and stumps to avoid.........not challenging but you have to pay more attention than on the paved road.

Mary Frances