NCL Star /Mex. riviera, places to paint onboard

artist47

Hi there.

I'm an artist, a serious painter, and I'm thinking of booking --- I would like to know if anyone has cruised this ship, and noticed any good spots for an artist to set up and paint...anyone? Also, would love to hear other artist's experiences onboard.

Thanks in advance! Happy Sailing...

Hi there.

I'm an artist, a serious painter, and I'm thinking of booking --- I would like to know if anyone has cruised this ship, and noticed any good spots for an artist to set up and paint...anyone? Also, would love to hear other artist's experiences onboard.

Thanks in advance! Happy Sailing...

Freestyle deck. Just kidding lol.

Aft sundeck on deck 13 here is a pic.

The big question is do you want to sit in sun or shade. I think your gonna end up moving around as to where the sun is or isn't for you but your not going to have any problem finding quiet spots.

8620.jpg.5a49bc8e128b5d9e9fb7b2671457c86b.jpg

Freestyle deck. Just kidding lol.

Aft sundeck on deck 13 here is a pic.

The big question is do you want to sit in sun or shade. I think your gonna end up moving around as to where the sun is or isn't for you but your not going to have any problem finding quiet spots.

Thanks so much....that looks perfect. And yes, you're right --- I have to move around according to the sun direction. I really appreciate the photo and your response. Blessup yourself! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because I am confused.

I've been studying the deck plans for the Star, and I may be completely wrong but:

Is the location recommended above going to put me in the jogging path????

I certainly don't want to upset the joggers....

here's what I am looking for : a quiet place to set my portable French style easel, where I will be out of the way of pax and crew, (for the most part) so I can paint the skies each day....I am working on a series of "atmospheric" scenes and I want to one study each day. I will need:

a) access to water

b) some ability to move around according to natural light sources

I don't necessarily need to be on the top deck...just in a spot that is "not well travelled"...my "eye" can do what is lacking in "real life". If I can get the basic colour values onto the canvas board, I can pack up and then finish up in my cabin later.

Thanks so much in advance, anyone who can help me understand the deck plan.

Edited by artist47

My family sailed the Dawn (sister ship) last June to Bermuda and my Fine Art student daughter did some watercolor painting. I think she found the biggest issue to be wind. There are some cut-outs toward the rear of the ship by the stairwells that she would set up her stuff and paint for a few hours. On the front of the ship there is a raised area above the jogging track with loungers, which could be stacked, to make room for an easel, but I don't know how feasible this would be due to wind/weather. I know she took along a small plastic spray bottle for water.

We still refer to colors as Cozumel blue and Maya Key green and know exactly what the other is referring to--just love the vibrant colors in the tropics. I have never been to the Mexican Riviera, but the rock formations and water look very interesting. Wishing you wonderful weather and a great trip.

I agree with Debster, anywhere that you set up outside may be quite windy, especially on deck 13 at the bow.

You may be able to use the promenade deck on deck 7. I've never painted or looked at things through an artist's eyes, so not sure if that would be what you were looking for. But since it is quite wide, I'm sure you could be out of the way and not be disturbed. The promenade deck has always been quite quiet when we've been on the Dawn and the Star except for the odd people who are walking down it.

Thanks everyone...really appreciate the info!

Nice to hear another posters daughter/artist had a good experience. I work in oils, but when travelling, I do the studies in acrylic and then do the final work in oil when I get back to the studio....

Yes, I agree about the wind --- I'm used to that, and have ropes for tie-down.

I just didn't want to be in an area that it too busy -- not because of my own needs but out of consideration for other people....

Thanks again!