Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

I wonder if you can help me, how realistic would it be to go from Alesund to the Atlantic road within the cruise port time, which I think is about 7 hours? Ideally we would love to drive it but open to see whats possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will be very pushed for time as you will use at least 2.5 to 3 hours one way.

This is if you don't have to wait for the ferry from Vestnes-Molde and that you do not get lost driving (I did the first times we drove there)

If you spend 1 hour at the Atlantic road you probably will not make it back I am sorry to say.

The Atlantic Road is best reached from Molde or Åndalsnes if you ship stops there.

Maybe it would be better to concentrate on something closer to Ålesund.

Hi there - You can walk to Aksla from the cruise terminal.

There is an alternative route but it is not a scenic and nice as the stairs.

I enclose a Google map of the alternative walking map. Note: Where is says "Vannspringdalen" - a new path or short cut is being made to Aksla from there.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Nedre...62.4729045!3e0

I will not recommend these alternative routes as they are not scenic. More a nice Sunday walk for the locals.

Your scenic alternative would be to take the hop on/off bus or the tourist "train".

http://www.bytoget.no/citytrain.html

Thank you for the information. I think it will be the train or hoho bus then.

Hi Lars,

I just wanted to say thank you for the helpful information you've provided on this thread! Since reading this last week, we've decided to check out Trollstigen while we're in Alesund. I am so excited! :D

We will arrive in Alesund on 6/24 at 11pm. I wanted to get off the ship and take sunset pictures and go walk around town. Any suggestions on where we should go for a nice view of the sunset?

Also, can you recommend any bars/pubs that will be open at that time?

Thanks!!

-Camille

Hi Lars,

I just wanted to say thank you for the helpful information you've provided on this thread! Since reading this last week, we've decided to check out Trollstigen while we're in Alesund. I am so excited! :D

We will arrive in Alesund on 6/24 at 11pm. I wanted to get off the ship and take sunset pictures and go walk around town. Any suggestions on where we should go for a nice view of the sunset?

Also, can you recommend any bars/pubs that will be open at that time?

Thanks!!

-Camille

Hi Camille - Thank you so much for your kind words.

The best place to see the sunset would be to walk up to the viewpoint at Mt. Aksla. You just cant beat the view from there. It is some 400 steps up but its worth it. You could also take a taxi up and walk down.

You are here on a Tuesday so a quiet day for bars/pubs. Anno is a very nice place and so is Milk.

Anno is just on the Brosundet - very close to the cruise pier

Milk is on the pier at the inner town area. Walk along the "sound"/"little canal" and its by the tourist information.

Lars:)

Hi Lars,

We are planning to rent a car and drive the troll road while docked in Alesund. We also plan to drive up to the Mt. Aksla viewpoint before we turn in the car on Norde Strandgate. Where would you suggest we walk to see a bit of the town if we are down to a couple of hours before we have to be back aboard ship?

Thanks in advance and for all of the advice you give on this forum.

Hi Lars,

We are planning to rent a car and drive the troll road while docked in Alesund. We also plan to drive up to the Mt. Aksla viewpoint before we turn in the car on Norde Strandgate. Where would you suggest we walk to see a bit of the town if we are down to a couple of hours before we have to be back aboard ship?

Thanks in advance and for all of the advice you give on this forum.

If you have a few hours you can pretty much do the whole town:)

I would suggest you walk to Brosundet..along Apotekergaten to Moloveien and stop at the lighthouse for a different view of Ålesund. Moloveien is a small street by Scandic Hotel. The street is small and narrow lined with quaint wooden buildings which houses apts, shops etc. Its very different to the Art Nouveau style of the town.

You should back track and walk across the Brosudent bridge along the "canal" (Skansegaten) Walk along the quay to the tourist information. From there head up to the pedestrian road (Kongens gate) and walk back to the ship. Alternatively continue up Løvenvolds gate and down Storgaten towards Keiser Williams gate and the ship.

Depending when you are in town you might want to walk up to Ålesund Museum at Rasmus Rønebergs gate.

http://aalesunds.museum.no/en/

See link for street map of Ålesund.

https://www.google.no/maps/place/%C3%85lesund/@62.4721738,6.1583583,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea

Thank you for your kind words. Please let me know if you have any other questions I might help you with.

Lars

I Cruiser

Can you give any info on WW2 Fortifications at Mt Aksla?

There are a few bunkers around the Aksla area. They are all "hidden" so not very accessible. If you walk up the road/hill from Fjellstua you can see one or two of them. I doubt very much they are safe.

There are also a few at Tuneset close to the Aquarium. I think 2 out of 7 are intact.

One of our favorite things to do in new places is to have a local pastry and cup of good coffee. Do you have any recommendations and their location on a map. Thanks.

Invit!!!

Invit has the best coffee and home made cakes in town IMO.

Its located close to the pier and has a great location on Brosundet. They also have outside seating on a barge right in the middle of the sound/canal.

http://www.invit.no/default.aspx?menu=622

http://www.invit.no/default.aspx?menu=618

Map:

https://www.google.no/maps/search/invit+%C3%A5lesund/@62.470984,6.1514183,17z

Invit!!!

Invit has the best coffee and home made cakes in town IMO.

Its located close to the pier and has a great location on Brosundet. They also have outside seating on a barge right in the middle of the sound/canal.

http://www.invit.no/default.aspx?menu=622

http://www.invit.no/default.aspx?menu=618

Map:

https://www.google.no/maps/search/invit+%C3%A5lesund/@62.470984,6.1514183,17z

Perfect --thanks.

Perfect --thanks.

You welcome!

If you visit order your coffee etc at the bar upstairs. You have to wait for and bring your own coffee/food to a table.

Its a bit Italian chaotic but its a frendly chaotic so its all ok:)

Hi Lars...

I want to thank you again for the wonderful day you arranged in Helsinki on the Baltic cruise. We had a great time!

Now, I have a question re Bergen. Would you recommend the funicular to Mt. Floibanen or the cable car to Mt. Ulriken? I believe either one of them can be done on our own.

Thanks and hope we sail together again....

Hi Lars...

I want to thank you again for the wonderful day you arranged in Helsinki on the Baltic cruise. We had a great time!

Now, I have a question re Bergen. Would you recommend the funicular to Mt. Floibanen or the cable car to Mt. Ulriken? I believe either one of them can be done on our own.

Thanks and hope we sail together again....

Hi Terri, wonderful to "see" you again. I am glad you liked the tour to Porvoo.

The funicular to Mt . Fløyen is in walking distance from the pier. Mt Fløyen is not as high up as Ulriken but you will have a nice view of Bergen and the surroundings.

The cable car to Mt Ulriken is a 15-30 minute drive each way from the cruise pier.

The view from Mt. Ulriken is spectacular and much nicer then from Mt. Fløyen.

Due to the very changeable weather in Bergen the best thing would be to wait until you arrive to decide on which one you would do.

Its a small cruising world so we might sail again sometime:)

Hi Terri, wonderful to "see" you again. I am glad you liked the tour to Porvoo.

The funicular to Mt . Fløyen is in walking distance from the pier. Mt Fløyen is not as high up as Ulriken but you will have a nice view of Bergen and the surroundings.

The cable car to Mt Ulriken is a 15-30 minute drive each way from the cruise pier.

The view from Mt. Ulriken is spectacular and much nicer then from Mt. Fløyen.

Due to the very changeable weather in Bergen the best thing would be to wait until you arrive to decide on which one you would do.

Its a small cruising world so we might sail again sometime:)

Thanks Lars.....that is what we will do. I found a web site that included a bus from the port area to the cable car. Sort of expensive but easy.

Here is a link to the Mt Ulriken cable car --there are buses to it from the fish market area

http://www.ulriken643.no/en/ I'm hoping for a clear day….

That looks spectacular.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the bus to the cable car and up to the top? We may be a little tight for time.

That looks spectacular.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the bus to the cable car and up to the top? We may be a little tight for time.

Traffic depending but approx 20 minutes.

The cable car approx 7 minutes.

We have found a very good deal on a Royal Caribbean cruise which is tempting us to take an extra holiday. Being an unplanned trip we won't have lots to spend in port. I also don't have much time to research before booking!

We like walking (hiking I suppose). Would there be a scenic route of up to 7 miles we could take from the cruise port or anything else low cost you could recommend to do for family of 3 (including 6yr old)?

Hi Lars,

I'm currently onboard the msRotterdam and just found out out Troll Path excursion for this Thursday the 25th has been cancelled due to lack of interest. I'm so upset.

I've read your posts about renting a car and looked at your map. We will be in port from midnight to 3pm. Would this be possible to be back on the ship at 2:30 with a 2hr drive one way? I think it would be cutting it close. :( I was really looking forward to this.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Hi Lars,

I'm currently onboard the msRotterdam and just found out out Troll Path excursion for this Thursday the 25th has been cancelled due to lack of interest. I'm so upset.

I've read your posts about renting a car and looked at your map. We will be in port from midnight to 3pm. Would this be possible to be back on the ship at 2:30 with a 2hr drive one way? I think it would be cutting it close. :( I was really looking forward to this.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Hi - I am sorry to hear HAL has canceled the tour.

You can do the car rental but it will be a bit tight. Is it possible the car rental company can rent you the car at 630 am - 7 am so you make a head start?

BTW, it was snowing on the Path of the Trolls last week:) Its all melted now though.