Bonine/meclizine

newbie cruzer

Apologies to those who may also be reading this on the Alaska board...I posted it there as well:

I was looking at Drugstore.com to order Bonine. They also had a generic meclizine (25 mg - same as Bonine, as well as a 12.5 mg). It's much cheaper...has anyone used it? Is it just the same?

Also, I have a 9 year old son; the pkg. says for 12 and older. Has anyone had their child take this? (He's big for his age, though...around 90 pounds).

Also, could someone please give advise about how much they took, when, etc for a "maintenance" dosage? We're on a Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas, on the 10th deck and I know that the higher the deck, the more you feel the movement.

Thanks!

I took one pill, and it definetely was just right, however, my head felt like a bowling ball I was so tired! So I took an all morning nap and was fine the rest of the cruise! In stormy weather, passengers are advised to lay horizontal to reduce the feeling of seasickness.

I took the generic all last week on the Sea. It said it is good for 24 hours and if needed you could take 2 per day. I tend to get motion sickness very easily and so I took one in the morning and one in the evening. The only time all week that I had any problems was the first morning. We were experiencing waves from Hurricane Dennis and a lot of people on the ship were having troubles.

Our room was at the front of the ship near the top. When I started feeling a little woosy I moved to a public area near the midle of the ship. It made a big difference. Once I had calmed down, Even with the rougher seas for a few hours things were ok.

I did not feel any side effects from the meclyzine and would definitely buy the generic again.

I took it at night before we left on our cruise, so the drowsiness didn't bother me at all. I took ginger capsules during the day, which left no effects at all. My son was 10 last summer, and he took 1/2 of my dosage. He also took the ginger. I only used the bonine when we were on our way to the Caribbean and on our way home, when the seas seemed a little rougher. Have a great trip!:D Horizon to Bermuda, 8/13/05:D :D

We have taken the meclizine on cruises (myself and 15 year old, "as needed", and my 17 year old, every morning as he's prone to motion sickness). When my son was 11, his pediatrician told me not to give him the meclizine, since it was for "12 and over", but recommended a children's formula over the counter.....I don't remember which one. Check with your pedi.....have a great cruise.

Archived