If you book directly through the cruiseline they don't have to pay a TA a commission

When I have a group I take care of their dining arrangements with the group department. I get confirmation ahead of time that they are at the proper designated table. I confirm and re-confirm.

When a customer of mine has problems I go to bat for them, and sometimes two people working on a problem is better than one.

It is not always necessary to use a TA, but for some people it is the right way to go...obviously you are seasoned enough you don't need, or want that help.

There are many benefits to using a TA. In fact sometimes they will rebate back some of their commission to you and you will end up paying a better price for the cruise. I see no benefit whatsoever to book directly with the cruiseline. I have been on 12 cruises and only the first was booked directly with the cruise line.

I am a travel agent and first hand I can tell you that you are financially not gaining anything by booking direct.

If your cruise goes down in price will Carnival or Royal Caribbean call you and say..."Hey, Mr/Mrs Smith your cruise went down and we would like to adjust that for you?"

NOPE... Travel agents ARE paid by commission... and if the cruise lines are not paying it to a travel agent, then who are they paying it to? Hmmm...maybe themselves. Royal Caribbean is clear about their policies. Same rate no matter whether you book with a travel agency; Travelocity; or direct with the cruise line. The ONLY time an agency, or an internet site will have it less than RCCL is when an agency purchases group space. Otherwise, they are rebating and that is not allowed.

Myself, I take very good care of my customers. I make sure all the needs are met. Cabin location is important and I pay a lot of attention to that. I do not put families with children on a cruise line just because they have a kids program. If I would not take my kids on it I would let a customer know.

Lots of people book very far in advance and MOST of the time at some point or another your rates will probably reduce, or they may have a special for seniors or residents...whatever the case the cruise line will not let you know they have reduced the cruise because they already have you booked they no longer need to entice you. I always keep an eye on all sailings I have going out and I take appropriate action when something goes down in price. Even if it reduces the "commission".

Another issue about booking while onboard. I encourage all of my customers to book while they are onboard if they are already looking for their next cruise. Unless they tell the cruise line that they were unhappy with their travel agent and it should not go back to them it automatically goes to the agency that made your reservation for your current trip. Why shouldn't a customer reap the reward if the cruise line is offering a shipboard credit to book their next one while on the current one?

I find coupons for my customers that ordinarily would not be there; I give a huge personal touch to every booking; I fight for my customer if they have a problem... (We had a customer who got on the Carnival Legend and when she went to her cabin she had an inch of water covering the floor of her stateroom... she called us and before she left port her cabin was changed and the problem was solved).

The most encouraging point of being a travel agent is helping to fulfill a vacation for someone...and they (the customer) ARE NOT paying any extra for my service. That's why they come back time after time and keep referring relatives and friends to me.

From one customer oriented travel agent to another, I applaud you Cathy.

Renaissance Cruise Lines bypassed the travel agents and sold only direct.

They eventually realized that they couldn't fill their ships without the help of the travel industry, and reluctantly paid a base commision to travel agents.

Well, this came too late for them, as TA's were not about to reverse their policy on this cruise line, since there were plenty of fine cruise lines supporting the travel trade.

Renaissance went bankrupt, and the rest of the cruise industry learned a very important lesson from this.

A good travel agent can become your best ally when problems occur with a booking, as the agent will be working on your behalf.

Happy Cruising,

Ginnie

Archived