Confused about wi-fi

rstep

I've read many posts on here & spoke with AT&T but I'm still confused. What is the cheapest way to have access back home? Why do you need to pay for international roaming to AT&T and for wi-fi to Carnival? I'm sailing on Carnival Breeze end of March, so I need to figure this out. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I've read many posts on here & spoke with AT&T but I'm still confused. What is the cheapest way to have access back home? Why do you need to pay for international roaming to AT&T and for wi-fi to Carnival? I'm sailing on Carnival Breeze end of March, so I need to figure this out. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Because the cell service on the ships comes from Cellular at Sea - which is not considered part of your home coverage. Thus the roaming charges!

Wi-Fi - is a service available but Carnival knows that it "valuable" to many travelers - and charges a premium for access. Which is slow and really eats up the minutes - even for the basic access

Edited by happy cruzin

Depending on where your travel - free Wi-Fi in the ports is a real option.

Just make sure you turn the data features of phone back off - before the ship leaves port so that you don't use data on the ship which is VERY expensive.

Depending on your phone ATT - under their international travel section of their website - has instructions how to turn those options off.

We have iPhones and turn off all our data and usually communicate via text with home. For our plan the outgoing texts are .50 each and incoming are included and come off of our home plan - but yours may be different. They do offer plans for texts and international roaming calls that are prorated - just for the time that you need them. We put them on just before we leave and then take them off - about a week - after we get back. Just to give time for all of the transactions to post. We then get charged only for the days that the plans are active on our account. ;)

It is complicated to make sure you don't get a BIG - unexpected bill. Keep asking until you have all your questions answered!

Edited by happy cruzin

Call your carrier before you leave tell them what your going to do and where . They can add some light to your problem

They stated they have spoken with ATT - but are still confused. :cool:

I've heard of people setting up a post on carnivals funville forums. The carnival website is free to access on board as well as the forums. Maybe check in case of an emergency. If not try the "cold turkey". Honestly that's the best part of my cruise is getting away from everything.

9/2012 - 7 day Mexican Rivera on the Splendor

9/2013 - 7 day Western Caribbean on the Magic

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard of people setting up a post on carnivals funville forums. The carnival website is free to access on board as well as the forums. Maybe check in case of an emergency. If not try the "cold turkey". Honestly that's the best part of my cruise is getting away from everything.

So how would someone go about doing this ? Is it OK with Carnival ? Or is it frowned apon? And had anyone done it recently ????

Thanks for any info !!!

BethAnn

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

I've never done it. My understanding is on funville forums there is a "currently cruising" section. You start something on there before you leave and tell your friends or family to post in there while you're gone and you will check periodically.

So how would someone go about doing this ? Is it OK with Carnival ? Or is it frowned apon? And had anyone done it recently ????

Thanks for any info !!!

BethAnn

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

With the exception of St Thomas and San Juan, I turn my cell service off and use wifi only (free) in port. With my Vonage app, I can call anywhere I want to for free via the free wifi. There are no additional fees doing it this way and now I have a free wifi spot already saved in my phone for most of the islands.

Just unplug and enjoy your time in the sun, my friend! ;)

Agreed. People need to learn how to disconnect.

If there's a true emergency, family & friends know my itinerary and can call Carnival to reach me. Otherwise it can wait until I'm back.

Depending on where your travel - free Wi-Fi in the ports is a real option.

Just make sure you turn the data features of phone back off - before the ship leaves port so that you don't use data on the ship which is VERY expensive.

Depending on your phone ATT - under their international travel section of their website - has instructions how to turn those options off.

We have iPhones and turn off all our data and usually communicate via text with home. For our plan the outgoing texts are .50 each and incoming are included and come off of our home plan - but yours may be different. They do offer plans for texts and international roaming calls that are prorated - just for the time that you need them. We put them on just before we leave and then take them off - about a week - after we get back. Just to give time for all of the transactions to post. We then get charged only for the days that the plans are active on our account. ;)

It is complicated to make sure you don't get a BIG - unexpected bill. Keep asking until you have all your questions answered!

It is not complicated. Turn off all cell phones/mobile devices and enjoy the boat/sea/island.

You are on vacation!

And yes, it is that easy.

Andy.

:D

This!

It takes a little getting adjusted to but disconnecting from the real world enhances your vacation.... and your battery life! I turned data off and pretty much used my phone as a clock only. Didn't have to charge my phone for days.

Just got back from the Dream and with kids at home I told them I would check my Email once a day. I got the cheapest (I think it was $29 for 45 minutes) WiFi on the ship and logged on at least once a day to check Email. I did text/Email a few photos and videos of the trip. The connection is really slow so don't plan on sending any large files. Usually a 10 second video clip sent back took less than 45 seconds. It seemed to be a little faster via Email, but many times it would just lock up and not send at all.

I used my ATT Iphone cel only at St Thomas. Then I used it as a Hot Spot for my Ipad, which made it much faster than the ships WiFi.

Make sure if you use the ships WiFi you go back to the "Fun Hub" page and log out otherwise it keeps your time running. I always made sure the screen said "you are logged out" and it will show how many minutes you have remaining.