McLaren Technology Center

UNV-IT!!!

I'm trying to get details on what my travel time and cost would be to get from Southampton to Woking to visit the MTC. I am a member of the McLaren fan club and have been invited to tour while I'm in the UK. I'm assuming I would take a train from Southampton to London and then switch trains and continue to Woking? All help is greatly appreciated.

Jimmy the Haggis is confusing MTC with Mercedes World.

Mercedes World is part of that very interesting Brooklands complex http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php? but MTC is actually in Woking, & about 6 miles from Brooklands.

The nearest station to MTC is Woking.

Which is ideal, because it's a direct journey (on the Southampton to London Waterloo route but well before London), there are 2 to 3 trains per hour, all trains (both fast and stopping trains) stop at Woking, & Woking station generates enough taxi trade for plenty of taxis to man the rank at the station.

(same direct trains if you're heading there from central London)

Your start point is Southampton central (a £5 to £8 taxi hop from any cruise terminal or city centre hotel, or walkable from some), your destination is Woking.

Journey time just under an hour.

From there, about 2.5 miles to MTC , under £10 by taxi.

Because it's the London route, on weekdays the fare on early trains is heavy.

But if you take the 09.00 or later, a "cheap day-return" will cost just under £30. No need to buy your ticket in advance, & no need to specify your return time - your ticket is good for any train back same-day.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

If you've got a spare invitation ................................................ :D

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Just goes to show that I don't go out and about much these days. (apart from cruising) The last time I was along that road the site was just being developed and the road was in a dreadful mess with mud.

Now I know where McLaren is. ( I would still rather visit Mercedes at Brooklands and the Aircraft/Car museum next door)

UNV-IT .... Sorry. Take JB's advice.

Jimmy

Thank you guys very much for the info. It is greatly appreciated. So am I looking at around 30£ per person round trip total? Or that just the train fare?

£30 pp is for your day-return train ticket.

Add a taxi fare at both ends at (and this is guesswork) £6 to Southampton station + £10 from Woking station, & the same again to get back to the ship.

For two, that's a total of around £45 per person.

Ticket office at Southampton rail station accepts Visa/MasterCard cards (even if not chip-and-pin cards), but you can't rely on taxis accepting cards - esp for those small amounts.

The only way to get there & back for free would be to get hold of a spare invitation to MTC & ask a local Cruise Critic member to drive you in his car........................... ;)

BTW Jimmy. I've been to Brooklands a few times for various events (historic vehicle nut), great place. Looked in at Mercedes World next-door when it first opened, wasn't thrilled.

Edited by John Bull

£30 pp is for your day-return train ticket.

Add a taxi fare at both ends at (and this is guesswork) £6 to Southampton station + £10 from Woking station, & the same again to get back to the ship.

For two, that's a total of around £45 per person.

Ticket office at Southampton rail station accepts Visa/MasterCard cards (even if not chip-and-pin cards), but you can't rely on taxis accepting cards - esp for those small amounts.

The only way to get there & back for free would be to get hold of a spare invitation to MTC & ask a local Cruise Critic member to drive you in his car........................... ;)

BTW Jimmy. I've been to Brooklands a few times for various events (historic vehicle nut), great place. Looked in at Mercedes World next-door when it first opened, wasn't thrilled.

In all honesty I would have no issues offering you a pass for your help. Especially if you were driving. The problem is its me and the gf. And I only have two passes. Can't leave her wandering London. Lol.

In all honesty I would have no issues offering you a pass for your help. Especially if you were driving. The problem is its me and the gf. And I only have two passes. Can't leave her wandering London. Lol.

Just joshing you :)

But if between now & then your gf ran off with the milkman ............... :D

Have a great time there.

You could always 'drag' up and kidnap the girlfriend JB! I'd pay to see that:D:D!

Simon

I know your game, Simon.

Cosying up to the OP in case a MTC invitation might come your way :rolleyes:

Go sling your hook, cos the guy's my mark - I saw him first. :p

UNV-IT!!! - there's fast bucks to be earned here.

If you have a good printer, I have a friend with a 50-seater bus.

Just a thought :D

Love your avi pic.

Childhood memories!!

I know your game, Simon.

Cosying up to the OP in case a MTC invitation might come your way :rolleyes:

Go sling your hook, cos the guy's my mark - I saw him first. :p

UNV-IT!!! - there's fast bucks to be earned here.

If you have a good printer, I have a friend with a 50-seater bus.

Just a thought :D

Oooh, a jolly boys day out on a charabanc...can't wait!

daimler_charabanc.jpg

Simon