Luganville

IngFam

Hi there, we are stopping at Luganville in a couple of weeks and was wondering how easy it is to get from Luganville to Champagne Beach/Bay? Is it too far away to drive, or is there a boat that does the trip. Would love any feedback. Thanks. :)

Hi there, we are stopping at Luganville in a couple of weeks and was wondering how easy it is to get from Luganville to Champagne Beach/Bay? Is it too far away to drive, or is there a boat that does the trip. Would love any feedback. Thanks. :)

A few years ago we spent some time at Luganville in a resort.

The road to Champagne Bay was Gravel, we hired a taxi and took over an hour of rough riding, was about $80 for the day, not sure what it's like now.

Unless you have a major reason for going to Champagne Bay which is basically just a beach, I would stay in Luganville & go snorkelling or better still diving, as Luganville has some of the best snorkelling in the Pacific & some of the most famous dive sites in the world. :)

Whatever you do decide to do, try if at all possible to pre-arrange transport. The van drivers waiting at the wharf there are the most rapacious I have come across. They will quote you absurd sums to take you to the main snorkelling site just 15 mins away. If all else fails and there are only 3 or 4 in your party, squeeze into one of the miniscule local taxis - they seem to rip you off less than the vans

A few years ago we spent some time at Luganville in a resort.

The road to Champagne Bay was Gravel, we hired a taxi and took over an hour of rough riding, was about $80 for the day, not sure what it's like now.

Road is still the same and there are no road rules:eek: Close your eyes and you will be ok. There is a great blue hole only 20 minutes down the road - Nanda. Go there instead.

• 2 weeks later...

We walked down the main road and got a little tinny to Aore Resort. We had a lovely lunch there and it has the loveliest little beach with great snorkelling. Everyone else we met said they hated Luganville - we loved it! Only people on their beach. Would defo make this trip again.

Just back from a week in Santo. There is nothing in Luganville except the market stalls the lovely local people set up for cruisers. It is about 45 minutes to Champagne beach, the road is tarred and the beach is absolutely beautiful. You need to pay 2000 Vatu per van to swim there to the local people ($23Aust) and also at the blue holes. There really are bubbles in the water at Champagne Beach. The best blue hole is Nanda which is on the way to the beach. I think it is well worth seeing and the best thing to do on Santo from Luganville. Call into Lope Lope on the way back to the ship and have a local beer on the large deck overlooking the water - take some bread from brekkie to feed the fish at the blue hole and Lope Lope.ImageUploadedByForums1391314254.627623.jpg.346ccf3a031414171caa9583560b648c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We walked down the main road and got a little tinny to Aore Resort. We had a lovely lunch there and it has the loveliest little beach with great snorkelling. Everyone else we met said they hated Luganville - we loved it! Only people on their beach. Would defo make this trip again.

Shudie, thanks for the info. Can I ask, was the tinny a regular, easily identified run or just an informal arrangement you settled on with a local guy? What did he charge for the return ride? Cheers

Gosh, it was some time ago - it is a very well known service though. It is basically a resort island - I think ferry was free but they will expect you to eat and drink there - the food was great and it cost us $50 for 2 x 2 course meals with beers.

As you walk into town from the cruise port - you turn left down a dirt road to the water and the tinny was waiting there. I imagine if you ask locals as soon as you get off ship - they will direct you - just ask for Aore Island Ferry. I think he goes back and forward throughout the day. It was seriously easy and we had the loveliest day...beach all to our own :). Best snorkelling of whole trip re fish, literally as you step in the water.

Ok, just found details here: http://www.aoreresort.com/

Gosh, it was some time ago - it is a very well known service though. It is basically a resort island - I think ferry was free but they will expect you to eat and drink there - the food was great and it cost us $50 for 2 x 2 course meals with beers.

As you walk into town from the cruise port - you turn left down a dirt road to the water and the tinny was waiting there. I imagine if you ask locals as soon as you get off ship - they will direct you - just ask for Aore Island Ferry. I think he goes back and forward throughout the day. It was seriously easy and we had the loveliest day...beach all to our own :). Best snorkelling of whole trip re fish, literally as you step in the water.

Ok, just found details here: http://www.aoreresort.com/

Great, thanks.