Sea Turtle sightings on Southern itinerary

mavvie

My wife and I will be doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Carnival Valor this December. I am an experienced snorkeller and on all our holiday's I have yet to see any sea turtles outside of captivity. I would apppreciate some input on the best spot to have a chance at swimming with these magnificent creatures. (i.e. a particular beach etc..) Ports of call are, St. Thomas. St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Barbados. I prefer DIY adventures as I don't like swimming as a group.

Thanks

My wife and I will be doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Carnival Valor this December. I am an experienced snorkeller and on all our holiday's I have yet to see any sea turtles outside of captivity. I would apppreciate some input on the best spot to have a chance at swimming with these magnificent creatures. (i.e. a particular beach etc..) Ports of call are, St. Thomas. St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Barbados. I prefer DIY adventures as I don't like swimming as a group.

Thanks

We swam with them at St Thomas. Had to take a boat out to a small island. Booked it through the cruise line, but I'm sure you can find someone to take you out there.

If you go to one of the beaches in Barbados, there are vendors that come up to you and for $20 will take you out to snorkel with the turtles. You can check the Barbados board - I want to say the beach is Boatyard? I didn't do it - personally can't stand seeing turtles harassed by newbie snorkelers on any trip - especially when the operators encourage it. :rolleyes:

Sorry - know you didn't ask for a rant. :p