New Cruiser

torilynne

Don't over do it on packing. Through the years we have gotten lighter and lighter, and have luggage that rolls.. Do as you like on formal nights, but it is getting less and less formal..Remember you are allowed to carry on wine, [2 bottles], water and soda, which can save you some..Check out independent excursions compared to ship sponsored..Take the time to explore the ship being your first time, and relax and have fun..:)

As other poster said make sure you take advantage of the many food choices..... try things you have always wanted to since you can order as much as you want there is not the worry of you not liking it. I wish someone would have told us about room service being included in our cruise fare for our first cruise. If you drink lots of soda... buy the bottomless bubbles card. I would also tell you to enjoy the ports... Think about what kinds of things you have always wanted to do and find out where to do them. For instance on Grand Cayman I would definitely go and see stingray city, it is the best excursion and an awesome experience. At Cozumel there is great shopping or partying opportunities and there are great places to go to a great beach and/or snorkel. I have never been to Jamaica but you can go to the port of call boards and research what you would like to do. The other thing to do is read reviews of other cruises including but limited to the one you are going on. It will give you an idea of things others do onboard and in ports. You will have a great time just be willing o go with the flo as it were. :D In fact if you read my Valor review below there is two of your ports included in it.... Grand Cayman and Cozumel with pics also.

Edited by Dirkgun

Read up on the places you are going - it doesn't have to be extensive, just a Wikipedia entry or the CIA World Factbook (online) will do fine. You wouldn't expect tourists to come to your country and not know the name of your leader, the currency, the capital city. Do the same courtesy to the foreign countries you visit.

I also agree with the poster who said you don't need to take a (paid) excursion in every port. While some ships dock at more remote facilities, others dock at (or tender to) the heart of the shopping, cultural or beach areas. For example, if you're looking forward to a beach day, you don't necessarily need to pay $75 per person to be driven to a beach and given a beach chair and the use of watersports equipment. You may be easily able to walk or take a nominally priced cab ride to a public beach with public facilities and food nearby. By far my favourite port days have been the do-it-yourself ones over the paid, often contrived "excursions".

The Glory has at Steakhouse, def make reservations for the Steakhouse for 1 night on the ship!!!! (if you reserve the 1st night you get a free bottle of wine with dinner). $35 pp and worth every cent!

If you have never done the Chef's table ..do so, it is a great experience, a bit pricy but worth it. $75.00 pp

Check out "Port of call threads" and book private excursions but cheaper AND you won't feel like you are part of a herd of cows!

Enjoy the SPA , it is awesome!!!!

Enjoy the Serenity deck, it is awesome!

I agree with other poster regarding packing, pack as light as possible!!

Regarding Formal nights, I think you should really dress up and take as many free photo opportunities on the ship as possible, some of our best Pictures on our walls as a couple are from our cruises!!! And dressing up is fun, how often in our normal life do we get to do that!!

Research all the ports and try to go on private tours that show you the REAL country NOT the tourist traps and stores!!!

Enjoy the MDR (main dining room as much as possible) very nice to eat Breakfast and Lunch in the Dining room (again you don't get that service all the time at home) you can go anytime to a buffet line LOL

Since your are new and not Platinum yet and if you don't purchase FTTF (faster to the fun $50 per stateroom) your room will not be available until 1 or 1:30 , so get to the port early and start enjoying your vacation ASAP, Bring on a small carryon bag with your Bathing suits.....go straight to the lido , grab something to eat (Deli is awesome) and then put on your bathing suits and go straight to the Serenity Deck and chill in the hot tubs and watch the boat sail away from port. Then go down to your rooms and hopefully your luggage will have arrived, un pack and go muster (mandatory) , then head straight back to the hot tubs and enjoy yourselves until your dinner time.

Dinner time: we always choose late seating 8:15, gives us plenty of time During the day to do what we want and not have to rush to be at 6:15 dinner (especially port days and formal nights). I don't care for anytime dining because over the years we have met the nicest table mates that have turned into good friend some of which we keep in touch with all the time and some we have even cruised again with!!!!.

Bring a dual outlet extender. The rooms only have one outlet, so if you want to dry your hair and warm up your curing iron or straightener you can't at the same time, plus charge your phone/camera etc. Just nice extra to have to make life more convenient on the ship.

Buy your sun tan products at home, very expensive on the ships and in the ports!!!!

UMMM ok I think that is all for now LOL. Our next cruise will make it cruise #30!!! We LOVE cruising!! Our first cruise was our honeymoon!!! Enjoy!

Don't over do it on packing. Through the years we have gotten lighter and lighter, and have luggage that rolls.. Do as you like on formal nights, but it is getting less and less formal..Remember you are allowed to carry on wine, [2 bottles], water and soda, which can save you some..Check out independent excursions compared to ship sponsored..Take the time to explore the ship being your first time, and relax and have fun..:)

Im new to cruising as well. Could you tell me what size luggage do you normally bring for a 7 day cruise? 25' or less?

About a night light, we've found that enough light leaks below the bathroom door when closed. Works for us and 1 less thing to pack. :D

We bring a battery flameless candle and keep it in the bathroom, the glow is easy on the eyes. :)