Who are these people ???? The ships staff....

arntufun

As a first time cruiser I'm reading all sorts of job titles people have that are working on the ship.

Is there a vocabulary list for newbies focused on the job titles and their responsibilities for the ship and us. How do we know what person to talk to if we need anything onboard ????? How do we tell the staff apart from the others as to what thier job is ?????

Captain and Bartender are self explainatory, but I could use a little help with the rest and think this info might help other first timers as well.

What does a porter do ????

what does a bellhop do????

What does a room steward do ?????

What does a matra-D do??????

Ect.... Ect.....

Thank you in advance

What does a porter do - These are the men that handle loading and unloading of luggage, port crew

What does a room steward do - This is the crew member that's assigned to the area of the ship your cabin is on. He/She keeps your cabin clean and makes those funny looking towel animals

What does a matra-D - Is the manager of the dining area

E

What does a porter do - These are the men that handle loading and unloading of luggage, port crew

What does a room steward do - This is the crew member that's assigned to the area of the ship your cabin is on. He/She keeps your cabin clean and makes those funny looking towel animals

What does a matra-D - Is the manager of the dining area

E

Thanks, there is a sticky thread on top that I found after making this thread that helps alot. Thanks for posting though.

Sorry to the forum for making a seperate thread, you have a big site with alot of info and I missed that one. ! My bad !!!!

Captain - the buck stops here, responsible for it all utimatly

Staff Captain, also the second in command responsible for the operation of the mechanical and operations side of the ship and is a fully qualified Captain in his own right. On our last cruise the Staff Captain left to his own command at the end of the trip

Hotel Manager - food and quartering on the ship for passengers and staff a very important person in the eyes of the management

Chief Engineer - responsible for all things mechanical

Head Chef, all employed in food preparation work for this person.

Bar Manager - responsible for all the bars

Housekeeping Manager - the cabin stuff, Butlers and stewards work in this department

Chief Medical Officer - senior Dr on the ship

Cruise director - entertainment, activities and over all fun

And the list goes on

Edited by Gunner22aa

Sure learn all the words, but you really only interact with a few.

Cabin Stewards or Attendants keep your room clean.

Waiters and Bartender are just like on land.

Maitre D' is the director for service in the Dining Room. You may talk to him or her with a problem, but mostly you deal with the lower staff who all are quite good.

Desk Clerks are just like any hotel. Visit the desk for billing info.

Cruise Director Staff run entertainment events. You deal with them if you win Bingo or such.

I do not worry too much about the rest of the titles.