Public Bus to Simpson Bay/Skipjacks?

Alsmez

We are meeting at Skipjack's for our sailing on Random Wind, and we'd like to take the public bus there rather than a taxi. However, I can't seem to find confirmation of exactly what route the buses take between Philipsburg and Maho/Mullet - it LOOKS like they should all go up through Simpson Bay on Welfare Rd., right past Skipjack's, but I'm not entirely sure. Can anyone here confirm?

I've read on other forums that there are bus stops at both a McDonald's east of the bridge and the Simpson Bay Yacht Club west of the bridge - if so, which of these stops would be closer to Skipjack's (the yacht club looks closer on google maps but you never know). Or can we just ask the driver to drop us at Skipjack's? Thanks in advance for your input!

Yes, that's the bus route.

It passes directly in front of Skipjack's. Hopefully they will drop you right there.

Return to Philipsburg is on the other side of the same road.

I know that there is a formal return bus stop at the road that leads into Pelican Key/Simpson Bay Resort.

gary

where does the public bus go? which areas?

Simpson Bay, Maho, Marigot and Grand Case are popular areas that can be reached by public bus and cruisers have reported taking the bus to these areas safely and successfully. That's about the extent of my help on this one. I have yet to take a bus while visiting St. Maarten/St. Martin.

You don't need to go to a bus stop. Just wave down a passing "bus" (really more like a minivan) that has a sign in its windshield for where you want to go (Maho, Phillipsburg, etc.). We just did this last week and it was quick and convenient.

This worked out perfectly. We walked to Philipsburg, found back street and just waited until a Mullet/Maho bus went by. We asked the driver to drop us at Skipjacks and he said no problem. As it turned out, we got there just as the bridge opened, so he let us out about 50 yards from Skipjacks while he waited for the bridge to be lowered. Took about 30 minutes, no problem. We would have taken the bus back as well, but we didn't have a lot of time to spare before the ship left and didn't want to take the chance.

This worked out perfectly. We walked to Philipsburg, found back street and just waited until a Mullet/Maho bus went by. We asked the driver to drop us at Skipjacks and he said no problem. As it turned out, we got there just as the bridge opened, so he let us out about 50 yards from Skipjacks while he waited for the bridge to be lowered. Took about 30 minutes, no problem. We would have taken the bus back as well, but we didn't have a lot of time to spare before the ship left and didn't want to take the chance.

We are hoping to retrace your steps so thanks for the info! We have Random Wind booked for April. How was it? Also, did you dock at Havensight? Trying to figure out where the bus picks up. I thought I read its by the Kmart?

We are hoping to retrace your steps so thanks for the info! We have Random Wind booked for April. How was it? Also, did you dock at Havensight? Trying to figure out where the bus picks up. I thought I read its by the Kmart?

Yes, Havensight is the dock in St. Thomas - we took the bus there too, though. You don't need to walk all the way to the Kmart to get the bus (if you're heading to Sapphire or another beach on the east end) - if you walk out of the port area, you'll come to an intersection with a Wendy's on one corner. You cross both streets so that you're catty-corner with the Wendy's, which will put you in front of a Giant gas station. Just past Giant, you'll see a "Rainbow Kids" store, with a sort of dirt driveway/parking area in between the gas station and the store. We saw locals waiting there and the bus pulled over promptly. It's much closer than Kmart to the port.

As for St. Maarten and the Random Wind, it was AWESOME - by far our favorite port of the trip and our favorite day of the cruise. Diane is a great hostess, the boat is gorgeous, and the Tarzan swing is SO MUCH FUN! We were lucky enough to only have 8 people on the boat that day so it was a very relaxed atmosphere. I'd do it again tomorrow if I could!

In the words of Homer Simpson..."Doh!" Sorry about the mix-up, I am indeed planning public transportation on both islands - never been to either - and I momentarily confused the ports. Apologies to gary, Alsmez, and anyone else who thought I was being a complete idiot.

Alsmez, I am very pleased to hear that your Random Wind experience was a good one. The last piece of my transportation puzzle then, is how to catch that bus in St Maarten from the AC Wathey cruise dock in Philipsburg. You stated that you walked to Philipsburg and waited for a Mullet/Maho bus. Just wondering where you waited.

Then again, since it'll be spring break with many ships in port and Random Wind sold out with a waiting list, a taxi may be a safer way to go. Could you share with me how much that taxi ride from Slipjacks to the pier cost you/how many people in your cab?

Thanks in advance.