Odd question - beach chair rentals?

kosoffj

Cruising on the NCL Wind 7/23 and have an odd question (I tried searcing the forum with little success)

I hope to spend some quality beach time in the ports of Mauai (Lahaina), Kauai, and Kona. I know in the Carribean there is always "daily chair rentals" available every beach you go to. Is this practice prevalent in hawaii? If not I guess I may be buying a cheap one in honolulu and taking it along :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Beachchick here)

No, it is not. I've not seen it on any beach in Hawaii except at resorts and that is only for resort guests. Check out my full response to this question on the "West Maui beaches" thread.

beachchick

(Beachchick here)

I have never seen any chairs or umbrellas available for rent on any Hawaii beach. Ever. Except those that are for resort guest use only. The beaches are all public, but the "cabanas" and such are the property of various resorts, and they don't rent to non-guests.

DH and I would love to see lounge and umbrella rentals like in the Caribbean, but that's not the way it is in Hawaii. (Come to think of it, question: We've not seen chair/umbrella rentals on any US beaches. Has that been everyone's experience? Just curious.)

I suggest Kailua on Oahu; Slaughterhouse, Airport (can't remember the "real" name), DT Fleming and the north end of Ka'anapali on Maui; and Honaunau and Kahalu'u on the BI for beaches that have some shade available. The shade isn't right on the water of course. I'm sure there are others and probably better ones for shade, but DH specifically remembers those--he also needs some shade.

Also, I'll remind everyone again: Unlike the Caribbean, alcohol is strictly prohibited on the beaches in Hawaii. They have been cracking down on it lately too--there were several articles about arrests when we were there in June for 3 weeks.

We always buy the fold up bamboo mats and then leave them. They're more expensive than the roll up ones ($2.50 instead of $1.50; whoa! break the bank there), but easier to carry, IMO. You can find them at ABC and just about any other discount place.

beachchick

ps to Spleen: I'll send you some fresh oysters if you send me some fresh opakapaka or ono. LOL.

You can rent lounge chairs and umbrellas from the lifeguards on the beach in Fort Lauderdale, but it's not cheap ($30 for 4 hours last time I went).

(Beachchick here)

I have never seen any chairs or umbrellas available for rent on any Hawaii beach. Ever. Except those that are for resort guest use only. The beaches are all public, but the "cabanas" and such are the property of various resorts, and they don't rent to non-guests.

DH and I would love to see lounge and umbrella rentals like in the Caribbean, but that's not the way it is in Hawaii. (Come to think of it, question: We've not seen chair/umbrella rentals on any US beaches. Has that been everyone's experience? Just curious.)

I suggest Kailua on Oahu; Slaughterhouse, Airport (can't remember the "real" name), DT Fleming and the north end of Ka'anapali on Maui; and Honaunau and Kahalu'u on the BI for beaches that have some shade available. The shade isn't right on the water of course. I'm sure there are others and probably better ones for shade, but DH specifically remembers those--he also needs some shade.

Also, I'll remind everyone again: Unlike the Caribbean, alcohol is strictly prohibited on the beaches in Hawaii. They have been cracking down on it lately too--there were several articles about arrests when we were there in June for 3 weeks.

We always buy the fold up bamboo mats and then leave them. They're more expensive than the roll up ones ($2.50 instead of $1.50; whoa! break the bank there), but easier to carry, IMO. You can find them at ABC and just about any other discount place.

beachchick

ps to Spleen: I'll send you some fresh oysters if you send me some fresh opakapaka or ono. LOL.

(Beachchick here)

Spleen: Well, the wine, no sweat considering we're smack in the middle of wine country and have friends who are vintners. Oysters--You can have my share for life. As for the cherries, sorry but on our part of the coast cherry season was over almost a month ago. In fact, we missed a bunch of it because we were in Hawaii (Oh! Poor us. LOL.)

JoyAnn: Thanks for the info. Ouch! That's a pricey rental.

beachchick

any[/i] US beaches. Has that been everyone's experience? Just curious.

Cabana/chair rental companies on Central Miami Beach along Collins (specifically fronting the Fontainebleau, Eden Roc and Four Points Sheraton) will rent to anyone. They're all independent operators that (I beleive) have agreements with the hotels they front, but will take cash from all.

Cruising on the NCL Wind 7/23 and have an odd question (I tried searcing the forum with little success)

I hope to spend some quality beach time in the ports of Mauai (Lahaina), Kauai, and Kona. I know in the Carribean there is always "daily chair rentals" available every beach you go to. Is this practice prevalent in hawaii? If not I guess I may be buying a cheap one in honolulu and taking it along :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

A few months ago, I was researching this as well. I called the Sheraton Lahaina on Kaanapali beach directly and asked to speak to the "water sports rentals shack". I was told that I did not have to be a guest at the hotel to rent equipment. He also said that I could call up to a month in advance and reserve a cabana. Here's the prices from the web site:

WATER SPORT RENTALS

Snorkeling and scuba gear, ocean rafts, boogie boards, aqua boards, surf boards, kayaks, children’s sand toys the following are sample products & prices:

Beach Chairs are rented for $10 each/day or $15 for two chairs/day

Beach Cabanas (covered, sits two persons) are rented for $30/day

Umbrellas are rented for $15/day

Mask, Fins, Snorkel Gear Set is $5/hour or $15/day

Boogie Boards are $5/hour or $15/day

Life Vests are $3/hour or $9/day

(Above prices are subject to change without prior notice

We ended up deciding to do something else that day, so I haven't reserved anything. It couldn't hurt to give them a call and see if you get the same answer I did!

Thanks - you made my day!

Sounds like I don't have to buy an umbrella and carry it around - not even sure if I could take it on the ship with security worries as they are these days. I have a nice beach umbrella here that I'd love to take but doubt the airline would allow it??

Beach chick...There are umbrella rentals at Hilton Head SC which is our favorite mainland beach but they are pricey.

(Beachchick here)

If that's the Sheraton by Black Rock, I would definitely check again. We called last month about day passes and whether they would do any rentals for non-guests and were told no, in no uncertain terms. Now, this was the Guest Relations, etc. and I did not talk to the equipment rental folks directly. However, at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel (next door to the Sheraton) we were only allowed to use the facilities and rent/borrow beach equipment because we were staying at their sister facility and had cross-over privileges.

It would be great if you could rent them, but I do wonder how resort guests would feel if the equipment that's supposed to be specifically for them had been rented out to non-guests. At least that would be my reasoning if I was a guest or resort owner. The resort beach equipment and activity centers are part of the resort and not generally for "public" use. It's possible that you might have better luck if it's off season. Anyway, that's why I think you should check again, and even then there would be no guarantee once you get there.

beachchick

Do like the locals do and buy a beach mat at an ABC Store. Should pay about $1. Lay it out and then put a beach towel on top of it. It rolls up nicely to have for your next port of call. And a good cheap treasure to take home if you choose. Good for those luaus on the Mainland for that Island atmosphere. :cool:

spleen, you sound like you think they will laugh at me - do you know something I should know before calling????

Lisa - no, no, no ... I was quite serious about that. If you find something different than what we've been telling people, I'd love to hear about it. My experience is the same as beachchick's -- that the cabana, beach chair, and umbrella rentals are for the hotel guests and that people off the beach can't reserve.

So once again, if you hear differently, I'd love to hear about it so we can tell others asking about this same question. :)

Spleen

So, I guess the answer is probably no.

Thanks also for the mat suggestion but, the chair isn't the problem - I need shade or I break out in horrible splotches. I'm seeing a dermotologist next week so hopefully, we will have a solution. If not, I will have to find shade under a tree at the beaches I've picked on each island or skip the beach - bummer!! What is an ABC store - in Virginia thats where we buy liquor - Alcohol Beverage Control board. Our first stop on the cruise is Hilo, if there is a wal-mart on Hilo, we can just buy a beach umbrella and one of those metal things that screws into the sand to hold it. We have our own here in Virginia but we aren't about to try to fly to LA with it. I don't even know if we bought one on Hilo, if we would be able to take it on the ship with us - security might think we were hiding a weapon! Don't get me wrong - I want security to be tight.

I love this store!!! Great for snacks, drinks, souvenirs and practically anything else you can think of. They have 2 stores in Las Vegas and I was so excited when we there last March. Stocked up on chocolate covered macadamia nuts and some plumeria anklets, earrings, etc for the summer. Also picked up a poster so I could drool - my Hawaii cruise isn't until October :rolleyes:

Archived