Princess protection not available...what to do?

Loreni

A few months ago we received a quote from a travel agent that was maybe 15% less that Princess, but it said "insurance not available." This was after final payment. In the end, we did not book this cruise, but now I am wondering...

Did this mean that only Princess insurance was not available. I could have gotten private insurance, right? We have had to cancel a Princess cruise before; it was after final payment and for a non-medical, non-covered reason. Berkley rejected the claim, as expected, but Princess gave us credit towards a future cruise. This was fine, because we planned to cruise again with Princess.

I can easily envision having to cancel again for a non-covered reason. So this makes me think I should stick with Princess protection so that I can at least get credits towards a future cruise. I assume that their is no reasonably priced "cancel for any reason" and get cruise credits, non-Princess, private insurance. Is there? So I am guessing that we could not take advantage of many Flash sales.

Please let me know if I am understanding this correctly.

With some promos, Princess insurance isn't available. You can always purchase independent insurance. If you get independent insurance, there are many options available. One of them is "cancel for any reason" but usually, these are more expensive. You need to research which insurance is best for you.

Edited by Pam in CA

With some promos, Princess insurance isn't available. You can always purchase independent insurance. If you get independent insurance, there are many options available. One of them is "cancel for any reason" but usually, these are more expensive. You need to research which insurance is best for you.

Thanks, Pam! That is good to know, but I wonder if they will let me cancel for any reason like Princess did (of course, we didn't get money back, but cruise credits were fine with us).

Thanks, Pam! That is good to know, but I wonder if they will let me cancel for any reason like Princess did (of course, we didn't get money back, but cruise credits were fine with us).
It depends on the type of independent insurance you buy. You would get a refund, not a credit. Only Princess insurance would give you a credit if it's not a covered reason.